Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

A chilly 32 this morning which is great as it was supposed to be 29. Not so great for the peach crop I hope to have.
Looks to be a quiet Friday at work, so hopefully I can leave at 10:30 this morning instead of the long day last Friday.

Good Morning All. A chilly 42° and clear this morning, after being in the 90's Monday & Tuesday. Low 70's today and then 95% chance of thunderstorms and mid-50's on Saturday. Pressure dropping in advance of the weather change. Bacon, bagel, cream cheese and OJ this morning Francine.
Finally finished mowing the "back 40" yesterday, and I now return to the front of the property to begin the cycle over. Potential bad news, there's a thirty year old Ash tree on the north side of the house that hasn't budded out yet. It's affectionately named after my son, who brought the seedling home from school on Arbor Day while he was in kindergarten. It may live on as firewood next winter and then its ashes will become part of the food from the garden next year.

Thanks for the comments and likes from yesterday's post, Chuck, Dave, Justin, Chet, Sherrel, Garry, Phil, Mark and anyone else that I may have overlooked.
Bars and taverns are rather popular on my layout. Here's one taken a few years ago called "McSoreley's Old Ale House".
06-18-15 175.JPG

It's a laser-cut wood structure from JL Innovative. It's loosely patterned after a similar establishment in NYC, with slightly altered spelling.
1555072800182.png

Here's a shot of the back.
12-26-13 032.JPG

There's a pair of x-rated sunbathers on the roof. Close your eyes kids!
06-18-15 177.JPG

Spent some time out in the train shed yesterday, I continued adding scenery materials to my project area, and while waiting for things to set up, I started to add the roof to one of the Oakleaf Industries structures. I'm not quite satisfied with the background 2D structures yet, and I need to ponder them some more. I also gave a good workout to a pair of Kato Dash9-44CW's that haven't seen much action lately. Kinda got lost in the staging yard.

Chuck - Loco build is looking good.
Dave - Really nice ground-level shot yesterday.
Chet - Like the ice house scene. Never had an opportunity to see one in person.
Greg - This event with the bikers is a lot more tame than that one in Milwaukee by far. Many local biker clubs ride by on my road on their weekend outings.
Louis - Good to see your post. Hang in there my friend.

OK, something a little different now. Joe's been posting landscape pictures lately and I've seen plenty of everybody's snow; so let's see what I have to look at. Here's a view looking south across the road . A nice wheat field.
04-12-19 006.JPG

Looking west is my hayfield, which is partially plowed.
04-12-19 005.JPG

Looking east we see some contented cows across that road, with the lake behind them.
04-12-19 007.001.JPG

Looks like today is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day. Enjoy one and everybody have a great day.

Good morning all,

33 and slush rain still falling. Yesterday we had rain, sleet, snow, hail, thunder, and lightening. Glad it's Friday.

I ran out of the good French Roast I usually drink so I hope Flo has some!

Photo for the day is from the Family archives. It was labeled Wyoming MN but I think it is Hinckley, as the depot does not look anything like Wyoming but bears a striking resemblance to the Hinckley one:

Circa 1920 Soo Line photo.png

I would love to get some freight cars that look like these!

By their appearance, these teamsters lived a tough life.

more later, Dave

Good morning .... Coffee and a donut, please.

Justin .... Nice photos again. I like the first one because it shows the inside of empty hoppers. When weathering hoppers, it is good to look at photos like that one for reference.

Johnny .... Good news from you ! I'm glad Dena is home and cancer free.

Willie .... Nice tavern .... Roof details are remarkable. :cool:

Dave ..... I like the historic photo with Soo Line boxcars and a won.

Here is an older photo of Union Station. You can see the street car line loops around it. I never did instal trolly wires. The project has been on my "to do list" for a long time.

35698965382_62ccd8b4ce_b.jpg

35932240503_83428fa3ba_b.jpg

Good Morning All. A chilly 42° and clear this morning, after being in the 90's Monday & Tuesday. Low 70's today and then 95% chance of thunderstorms and mid-50's on Saturday. Pressure dropping in advance of the weather change. Bacon, bagel, cream cheese and OJ this morning Francine.
Finally finished mowing the "back 40" yesterday, and I now return to the front of the property to begin the cycle over. Potential bad news, there's a thirty year old Ash tree on the north side of the house that hasn't budded out yet. It's affectionately named after my son, who brought the seedling home from school on Arbor Day while he was in kindergarten. It may live on as firewood next winter and then its ashes will become part of the food from the garden next year.

Thanks for the comments and likes from yesterday's post, Chuck, Dave, Justin, Chet, Sherrel, Garry, Phil, Mark and anyone else that I may have overlooked.
Bars and taverns are rather popular on my layout. Here's one taken a few years ago called "McSoreley's Old Ale House".
View attachment 35916
It's a laser-cut wood structure from JL Innovative. It's loosely patterned after a similar establishment in NYC, with slightly altered spelling.
View attachment 35917
Here's a shot of the back.
View attachment 35918
There's a pair of x-rated sunbathers on the roof. Close your eyes kids!
View attachment 35919

Spent some time out in the train shed yesterday, I continued adding scenery materials to my project area, and while waiting for things to set up, I started to add the roof to one of the Oakleaf Industries structures. I'm not quite satisfied with the background 2D structures yet, and I need to ponder them some more. I also gave a good workout to a pair of Kato Dash9-44CW's that haven't seen much action lately. Kinda got lost in the staging yard.

Chuck - Loco build is looking good.
Dave - Really nice ground-level shot yesterday.
Chet - Like the ice house scene. Never had an opportunity to see one in person.
Greg - This event with the bikers is a lot more tame than that one in Milwaukee by far. Many local biker clubs ride by on my road on their weekend outings.
Louis - Good to see your post. Hang in there my friend.

OK, something a little different now. Joe's been posting landscape pictures lately and I've seen plenty of everybody's snow; so let's see what I have to look at. Here's a view looking south across the road . A nice wheat field.
View attachment 35913
Looking west is my hayfield, which is partially plowed.
View attachment 35914
Looking east we see some contented cows across that road, with the lake behind them.
View attachment 35915

Looks like today is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day. Enjoy one and everybody have a great day.
https://mcsorleysoldalehouse.nyc/history/

Joining the fray here this morning where it's supposed to reach 74 today. Yesterday started out beautiful and then turned cold, cloudy, and windy which has the wife and I carring around a towel with both of us really having a round of sneezy, runny noses. The wind must have really stirred up the pollen - everyone's complaining over the alergies?

Really nice photos - ALL - -- Louis! Glad to see you again! Stick around!

FEDEX lost the car towing "Base Plate" coming from Tenn .. as the sellor said, "How the hell do you lose a base plate?"
Money was refunded back to my account - I emailed him last evening to ask him why he did not just send another?
Have to check and see if he has replied to my mailing?

Chuck -- Nice reference on the Tavern!

Johnny: I'm with the cat! Going to go ha ve a refill.

Francine? Do we have an addition to the diner? Business must be better?

. George, in my case therapy is a necessity. In a reverse shoulder replacement, the socket which is normally in the shoulder and the ball on the arm, everything is reversed.
thumbnail_20190403_062648.jpg My rotator cuff, a tendon, was completely shot and not repairable. The muscles in the arm must now be taught to do things that they did not have to do. Prior to surgery last month, I couldn't even drink a beer with my right hand or even reach high enough to operate a light switch on the wall, probably since October. After a week of therapy I am able to lift the arm a lot higher ( and drink a beer) and this will improve in short order. This was my choice, not the governments. In a couple of months I should have full range of motion.

Good morning. 31 degrees to start off the day with a light covers of snow that fell over night.

The therapist whooped my butt yesterday. Didn't get much sleep. I will have to admit that she is good and knows her stuff. She would move my arm just short of the point that would have me lifting off of the table, with no pain at all. She does want me to slow down on my exercises at home because I am so far ahead of where she expected me to be and doesn't want to have a set back.

Dave - I sure like your vintage photos. You sure have done a lot of research which should pay off when you build your new layout.

Justin - I am really enjoying your photos. Out here most of the coal is strip mined.

Phil - When I lived in Florida, I really enjoyed watching the rockets take off from the cape. We could see them all the way down to Miami. We did go to the cape for the launching of the first trip to the moon. Was stationed up in Mayport, FL at the time.

Louis - Nice to see you back in the Coffee Shop. Hope you are feeling better.

Garry - I enjoy seeing your city scenes. I don't have any cities near that size to model where I live. Bozeman still doesn't have a regular bus service.

Willie
- I really like that saloon. The details are excellent. Really nice work.

I also have a few sun bathers on my layout.

thumbnail_20190407_150713.jpg

Here's my scratch built freight station. Some of the interior details can be seen.

thumbnail_20190406_123633.jpg

Greg - Here is my salvage yard which is still a work in progress.

thumbnail_20190407_154922.jpg

Later

. George, in my case therapy is a necessity. In a reverse shoulder replacement, the socket which is normally in the shoulder and the ball on the arm, everything is reversed.
View attachment 35922 My rotator cuff, a tendon, was completely shot and not repairable. The muscles in the arm must now be taught to do things that they did not have to do. Prior to surgery last month, I couldn't even drink a beer with my right hand or even reach high enough to operate a light switch on the wall, probably since October. After a week of therapy I am able to lift the arm a lot higher ( and drink a beer) and this will improve in short order. This was my choice, not the governments. In a couple of months I should have full range of motion.
Any therapy that allows you to drink a beer is a necessary therapy!

Good morning .... Coffee and a donut, please.

Justin .... Nice photos again. I like the first one because it shows the inside of empty hoppers. When weathering hoppers, it is good to look at photos like that one for reference.

Johnny .... Good news from you ! I'm glad Dena is home and cancer free.

Willie .... Nice tavern .... Roof details are remarkable. :cool:

Dave ..... I like the historic photo with Soo Line boxcars and a won.

Here is an older photo of Union Station. You can see the street car line loops around it. I never did instal trolly wires. The project has been on my "to do list" for a long time.

35698965382_62ccd8b4ce_b.jpg

35932240503_83428fa3ba_b.jpg
So how do you install trolley wires? I've wondered about that. I suppose there's a YouTube video on it.

It's now 52, sunny and windy, and the wife is back from saving money.

Last edited:
Good Afternoon Everyone...overcast and very windy.

Not much to report today.

Ran some trains yesterday and I used the CenterLine track cleaning cars and they worked great. I used ACT 6006 and when it was first applied, I had trouble with the locomotive's spinning their wheels. After a few trips around the track , the problem disappearance.

Karl & Chet: Can't use your arms for drinking...that's why straws were invented.

Willie:
I agree about your roof details and Chet's beach beauties.

Beady: I saw a fellow's trolley layout and the over head wiring actually worked. The overhead was a work of art with the precision solderng and hanging of the trolley wire.

That's all for now.

Greg

##########################

Afternoon All,

Accomplished some chores this morning, and after that not much. Tomorrow I'm heading into Orlando to visit another friend. I'll probably stop by the LHS to pick up glue for the resin kits and a pin vise.

Justin- Nice WM photos.

Sherrel- The best launch I witnessed was with a choir that was singing Christmas carols in the background as the Shuttle launched at night. You could easily follow the fire trail into space. That felt pretty special.

Johnny- I'm glad your wife had a good appointment.

Willie- Nice bar and details. How many acres do you own?

Dave- Interesting old time photo. That is a great looking station.

Garry- Great looking layout pics.

I hope everyone has a good night.

[QUOTEAny therapy that allows you to drink a beer is a necessary therapy!][/QUOTE]

I like the fact that it doesn't come in a plastic bottle.

Chet- I really like your sunbathers.
However, if they were to lay in the bare grass on my southern layout, they would soon be eat up with "chiggers'.
They need to lay on a blanket, quilt or towel or they would be constantly reminded for a week as the bites heal!
Great visual scene.

1555142843679.png

This is the door I would use. I bet they have a lager on ice. makes you want to walk in and see.

1555142944815.png

Makes you wish they had a bench on the over pass to sit and watch it all go by.

index.php

I don't see a "help wanted sign" but I would walk in and ask any way.

Lots of great photos, too many to mention, thanks for sharing them.

Chet, modern orthopedics is absolutely amazing! They have reduced recovery rates so much it's hard to believe. Injuries that years ago would end careers are now routine and athletes return to their sports in what seems like no time at all.

Keep up the hard work in rehab and you will be bowling before long.

Godspeed on your journey to recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back