Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some more pics of the Meadow River Lumber Co. This operation was started in 1907 and lasted until 1970. The owners of the company were the Raine brothers. The town of Rainelle WV is named after them. It was the home of the world's largest sawmill. It's also the center of the NF&G railroad which I have talked so much about in previous posts.
32108673684_b18ab7773d_b.jpg
8558851808_53f76f1d98_b.jpg
images.jpeg
4401.1248839524.jpg

Mike: Good photo. The truck hauling the logs is also very interesting.

Thanks Boris. Probably coming from the Northwoods, heading towards one of the paper mills along the Wisconsin(possibly Mosinee, WI Rapids or Mosinee).

Good evening, everybody ...

Mike Hub City .... Nice shot of the BNSF loco and the log truck .

Dave LASM ... The 0-6-0 looks great.

Chet .... Nice shot of the BNSF units in Livingston. I like your layout photo.

Terry ... That does not look like Spring weather.

Greg .... You did a great job upgrading the Atlas tower.

Justin ... Thanks for posting more coal mine photos. Also, I like the logging railroad pictures. The camp cars are interesting. ... I wonder about the C&O boxcars behind the CSX locos. It looks like they are used for fencing around a scrap yard.

Willie .... I like your layout photo of this morning.

Karl .... I also have plates and screws, but instead mine are in lower back. The result of being hit by drunk driver.

The C&O boxcars are actually a part of the building in the background. Used for storage I do believe. Theres not much left of the building either. So who knows? I don't have a definitive answer for this one.

Happy hump day gang!
35 degrees and clear, Flo can I get some coffee and two of those devil's food Donuts?
Be back later after the work day is done.

Good morning. It's clear and 33. It's supposed to get back to nearly 70 today, and warmer tomorrow.

Good Morning! It's Clear and will get up to 38 today. Then, tomorrow it will go above freezing and stay above until next Tuesday at 2:00 in the morning! I sure hope this happens as I'm ready for it!

Not much going on here at the Model Railroad Forum, lately. Is it going to dry up and blow away?

Well, I'm off to see if I can stir things up and get some blood pumping in the Forum here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning All. 51° and partly cloudy, headed to 70° with strong south winds later today. 80°+ tomorrow and Friday. Spent yesterday morning on household tasks, and the early afternoon on the tractor doing some mowing. All of the "normal" yard is now done, about two acres; today I tackle the "back 40", behind the barn, between the train shed and the pond, and along the drainage swale. Heck! I might even get to mow around the retention pond and the spillway, although unlikely. I'll probably resume brush-removal along the road instead. I'll also start to set out tomato plants today, as it might just rain tonight. By the calendar I am later than usual by about a week, but Mother Nature hasn't been ready, ground temperature is still a little bit on the cold side.

Thanks for the comments and likes for yesterday's picture; Chet, Phil, Johnny, Dave, Garry, Tom, Karl, and anyone else who I may have missed.
Here's Mrs. Stone speaking with the trashmen behind the bakery. Bakery is from DPM, figures and details are from me.
04-02-19 006.JPG

Patrons and passerby's at the local bank and flower shop.
04-02-19 005.JPG

Bank is a 30 year old Con-Cor kit and the flower shop is an equally old IHC kit.

I did get to spend some time out in the train shed. Began with adding weeds along the ROW in the area that is my current scenery project. I also touched up the ground cover in a few spots, enhancing it with some darker green or some yellowish shades to mimic nature. Since I always have several projects going simultaneously, I selected a laser-cut wood kit off the shelf to build next. It's called "Oakleaf Industries" from Bar Mills. I only looked at the contents and instructions (19 pages) for now; need to clear some stuff off the workbench before beginning.
04-02-19 009.JPG

Justin - Echoing Chet, I don't see a lot of any coal mining activity in these parts of the US, keep the pictures coming. Good to note that the new baby is giving you time to visit the Coffee Shop a bit lately.
Karl/Greg - Are you paying taxes because you underpaid, or because your tax rate went up? I'm seeing and reading lower rates even with some of the guys here.
Karl - I have been reading about the best-selling authoress, who is the mayor of your favorite city. Is her pneumonia karma or cover-up?
Mark -
Not much going on here at the Model Railroad Forum. Is it in its' death throws?
You're being a pessimist again. I noted lots of activity in over 20 other threads yesterday. Lots of pictures of club layouts in several different threads. 25 posts in the Coffee Shop might be a bit low though.

Everybody have a great day

Can't help it, I guess I am a pessimist, I think the political situation in this country today helps me out with my pessimism! I am old and like much better how things where than how they are now!

A quick good morning. 34 degrees and cloudy to start off the day.

Justin - Those were some fantastic photos of the logging operation. WOW! Thanks for posting them. Thumb up.gif

Karl - Nice to see you back. Sounds like you met a Walmartian at Wally World.

Greg - Nice photo of the tower.

Terry - I had heard that there was some snow in the Carolinas. Keep it there.

Willie - More great photos. Where in the world did you find the garbage truck. I have been looking for one but have only found modern ones. I could always put it on an older chassis. Great mini scene.

Beady - Here are some xray photos. It hurt to look at them. Heading to the physical therapist shortly. That will probably hurt also.

thumbnail_20190403_062648.jpg thumbnail_20190403_062617.jpg There are slippery plastic pads that do not show up in the xray. The ball and socket have been reversed because the rotator tendon was gone. In the second xray I had to lift my arm. Ouch.

Here's my train photo for today. This is a photo of a photo of a train we rode probably in the late 70's. We owned a newspaper in Big Sky, MT and were invited to ride the train by the owner, King Wilson. It ran on the old Milwaukee Road tracks from Ringling, MT south around 20 miles where we were served a great fried chicken lunch while the locomotive ran around the coaches for the return trip.

thumbnail_20190403_062553.jpg

Later

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone.....sunny here in my part of Wisconsin.

Just cleaned up the computer desk with the taxes forms and papers. Ouch!

Willie: To answer your question it was a combination of under withholding and higher tax rates. I was lucky to have enough deductions to use itemized deductions on Schedule A, otherwise the damage would of been greater.

Definitely the train room today with o specific projects in mid until I get down into the room.

Later today I need to make some cutting fro a Jade plant that we have had for over 35+ years. The Jade is getting just too large even if I cut i back, so I'm going to take some cuttings to keep the plant going. The wife has African Violets that are over 30+ years old and are from her departed Grandmother. The violets will need to have cuttings made later this spring. Another side hobby of mine.

Justin: That photograph of the logging really shows how it really was in those days.

On land we have in Wisconsin there were some White Pines that were estimated to be in the range of over 200 years old and were huge. They escape logging in the area, but fell victims of a 100+ mph wind sheer 10 years ago. The top just snapped off! There are some trees that remain but the best trees were damaged.

Chet: That photograph of your shoulder really show what your went through. Now I know what a reverse ball and socket joint looks like. PT isn't all that bad and I looked forward to it so much that I'm starting PT again in mid-April.

That's it for now.....

Later

Greg

#########################

Last edited:
Hooray, Hooray - We had an April shower today! :cool: Nice little rain shower around 3-5 AM, partly cloudy and 51 at this time, going to be 70 for a high today. I am becoming pretty impressed with the "local" weather site here. They usually do not miss the H/L by more than a degree or two! I just don't know how they can be that accurate? OH, Heck! There is more stuff that I DON'T know than I DO know for sure. :mad:

MARK :eek:- Quit complaining - I have a hundred posts that I have not looked at! I missed a day on the forum, and it took me over an hour just to skim all the new additions in the Coffee Shop.

WILLIE: The garbage truck is a great scene .. I'm like Chet - Where did you find that? You are going to beat me again with the tomatoes - I actually thought about it, but figured that if we do any travel this summer that the heat would do them in without care.

Mechanic called late yeaterday afternoon - said the truck panel had NO LIGHTS on it and that I needed to come pick it up this morning, drive it 50-70 miles so it can be "smogged". :) Maybe I'll run down to the border and load up with avocados in case the border gets closed? God forbid that we could run out of avocados? :rolleyes:

TAX Man put me on an extension - so I can breath easy once again and then panic later on!

Good morning everyone. 47 and mostly sunny out there.

Justin - I like those photos of the logging area.
Chet - Yeah, it hurts just to look at your shoulder photo and the xray
Willie - More good photos from your layout and work area.

Nothing to report from the train room - gotta get some wire to hook up lights in the buildings. Waiting on an MBKlein order to come in. And have to get back to the modeling workbench to finish some builds that have been left alone for far too long.

Have a good day everyone.

Chet, It looks like the stuck a chunk of 1/4th inch plywood on the arm side of the replacement!

Also, was that the CMSt.P & P that supplied the steam engine?

Never mind, MARK, keep complaining, stir up as much as you can! I'll even make you a sign that you can stand on the corner and wave at the passers by?
Without getting too political, just what is it that you are not happy with?
I just wish the Government would GET THE HELL OUT OF MY LIFE and quit changing everything.
Every day here someone is proposing a new tax or another restriction on what you can/not do with your own property.
Just leave me alone!

Chet, It looks like the stuck a chunk of 1/4th inch plywood on the arm side of the replacement!

Also, was that the CMSt.P & P that supplied the steam engine?

CHET - I agree with Mark on the plywood? I had not heard of the "Reverse" repair before neither?

That little loco looks very close to the little 2-6-2 loco that my father used to take me down to see at the refinerify.
He would sit in the fireman's seat and I sat in his lap while they shuffled the tank cars around.

1554304084578.png

Morning all,

Overcast and supposed to storm this evening and overnight, high of 65.

Meant to post earlier, but as I'm on my way to work at 5:35 this morning a police office texts my work phone to tell me they are having issues with the computer network. I get in at 6:10 and find we'd lost about 1/2 of the server farm and it took me a few hours to deal with that and the aftermath. So I'm finally looking at having hopefully an easier day.

I work for a small city, so it isn't uncommon for the police and dispatchers to call me after hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back