Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Spam, bacon, eggs and spam this morning for me, along with a coffee, Thanks!

Very sad about Notre Dame. 800 year old oak is kindling on something like that, even 100 year old wood burns like that in more "modern" churches.

Dave (LaSm): I like the pictures of your work. I'm hoping to get back to that point myself. I'm trying to model the Great Northern myself. Something about that goat and the orange and green....

I apologize about my order, but I watched too much Monty Python last night.

Good Morning All. 62° and cloudy. A warm but unsettled weather pattern developing over the next ten days, continued strong southerly winds until Thursday when they reverse, but the high temperature remains above 70°. Thundershowers tomorrow and then again from next Monday through at least Thursday. Garden is currently looking good, but sparse, and the rain Saturday has halted the tomato planting process. I got many planted before the rain, but my wife showed up with 30 more plants yesterday.
Rotten night last night. Awakened around 0230 by a very loud roaring noise. Got up to close the window and noted that it was coming from the local sheriff's helicopter scanning an area with it's searchlight about a mile north of me. Back and forth for nearly 30 minutes. Spoke to my neighbor this morning, a retired local law enforcement guy who still has many friends on the force, and he told me that a car presumably traveling at high speed tried to turn the corner at the intersection there. The road it turned on to is a gravel road and the car went out of control, careened into the ditch, and then proceeded to roll over several times into a cow pasture. The driver was thrown out of the car and it rolled over her, killing her. The accident wasn't spotted for over two hours after it happened based on telephone GPS information. Not much vehicle traffic on our road at that time of night. The police were scanning the area looking for other potential victims/survivors, since they had no information regarding how many were in the car. Needless to say, I had my sleep disrupted; did not know the victim but will say a prayer for her anyway.

Thanks for all of the comments and likes regarding yesterday's postings, Chuck, Dave, Justin, Chet, Sherrel, Curt, Phil, David, and any other readers who I may have missed.
Here's a mini-scene from Woodland Scenics given to me by my brother for Christmas. They do some nice stuff.
04-15-19 006.JPG

04-15-19 007.JPG

I did get to the train shed yesterday and did many assorted tasks. On the Oakleaf build I added the permieter dock bumpers after giving them an A/I dipping. Then did a litttle more layout vacuuming, added lichen and bushes to my project area, permanently affixed one of the structure pictures to the backdrop after blasting it with Dull Coat to reduce fading, and made seven trees for the area. Only installed three so far. Did I ever mention that I hate making trees more than any other aspect of this hobby except soldering?

Mark -
After nine O'clock this morning, I don'r see the temperature going below freezing for the next nine days.
I guess that's a milestone for your area. Break out the shorts and tee shirts.
Curt -
Willie- The church reminds me of the one I had as a kid on my first layout.
The church kit was quite old when I purchased it over thirty five years ago. I actually think that it dates back to the 50's.

Re: Notre Dame. I noted that another French billionaire has pledged 200 million Euros to go with the other guys pledge.
Medicare for all. What many people are missing about this concept is that it is run by the government!o_O:eek:

Everybody enjoy your day.

Good morning, 41 and sunny. We are headed for 64. I am driving up to Duluth later for a few days of training so will not be able to work on the model projects.

Glad to see you'all at the table already-- Terry, Karl, Chuck, Mark, Patrick, Willie...

Chuck-- I suppose they will put WI fi and other modern things in when they rebuild?

Willie-- your sign outfit is pretty cool!

David Trussrod-- I now have plenty of flat cars. One more of those roundhouse "shortys" is coming this week and I must have 8 flat cars. I think I will need several for the quarry and some for logging.

Here they are pretty much done, not sure if I will dull down the paint with some wash, probably leave them just like this at least for a while.

flat car 2.jpg

You can see the work area behind has some projects I am tweaking as well...

more later, Dave

Good morning. 37 degrees and cloudy. All of yesterdays snow is gone as the temps got up into the low 50's in the afternoon.

It is a real shame about the Notre Dame fire. I did have the opportunity to have visit it years ago and I can't imagine the work that will be needed to restore as many of the skills that were used to build it are probably no longer available.

Willie - More interesting photos. Like them. Looks like you are in for more rain. Do you have a boat handy????? May also hold up on planting the new plants.

Justin - Still enjoying your photos. Keep 'em coming.

Dave - The flat cars look good. Like the NP still looking for a few for my layout.

Instead of a photo, here's a video that Ray will probably enjoy. I am familiar with almost all of the locations in the video as it was taken right in my back yard between Laurel, MT and Spokane, WA. BNSF leased these SD-45 from Montana Rail Link.

The therapist kicked my butt again yesterday and put the hurt on me, but I can still run trains with one hand. Headed down stairs shortly.

Later.

Good morning, everyone. 57 and sunny. Having several good spring days until some severe weather hits us tomorrow night.

Have had several rounds of bad news: a cousin who lives and works in Thailand was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer in November of last year and was given 3-6 months to live. Just heard over the weekend that he died on January 2. That was way too fast :confused: Had been emailing him but not hearing anything back - now I know why. Then yesterday got a letter from another cousin's daughter saying that both my cousin and his wife died in January of last year! Within 3 days of each other!! Now I know why they didn't send a Christmas card last year. Cousins are passing away too fast!! Only three of us left.

Absolutely nothing to report from the trainroom. Got home from work yesterday and went outside to prep the ground and put in some grass seed. Got a dozen more large spots to do that to, then some places that need overseeding. Ain't spring grand?!?!

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning. 37 degrees and cloudy. All of yesterdays snow is gone as the temps got up into the low 50's in the afternoon.

It is a real shame about the Notre Dame fire. I did have the opportunity to have visit it years ago and I can't imagine the work that will be needed to restore as many of the skills that were used to build it are probably no longer available.

Willie - More interesting photos. Like them. Looks like you are in for more rain. Do you have a boat handy????? May also hold up on planting the new plants.

Justin - Still enjoying your photos. Keep 'em coming.

Dave - The flat cars look good. Like the NP still looking for a few for my layout.

Instead of a photo, here's a video that Ray will probably enjoy. I am familiar with almost all of the locations in the video as it was taken right in my back yard between Laurel, MT and Spokane, WA. BNSF leased these SD-45 from Montana Rail Link.

The therapist kicked my butt again yesterday and put the hurt on me, but I can still run trains with one hand. Headed down stairs shortly.

Later.
What a great video Chet
you are blessed to live in such scenery
i bet there are plenty of Trout in the Rivers

Chuck

Good morning .... Coffee and a donut, please. ... (falling behind with your posts again.. Sorry. Try to catch up now.)

Sherrel ..... I like your photo of Frisco 807. ... Sometimes, there is too much month at the end of the money .

WIllie ... You church scene is excellent, and the billboard scene will be a nice addition to your layout.

Dave .... Your flat car eject s coming along nicely.

Greg .... I like your scene with the SOO locomotive.

Justin .... The Chessie photos look good.

Johnny .... Sorry to hear about your cousins.

Happy Model Railroading.

Good Morning Everyone....overcast and rain last night in this part of Wisconsin. I just hope that the snow has melted in the woods by the cabin. The warmer weather and rain should help the melting process of the snow. I'm planning to go to the cabin so and I'll stay over night at a resort nearby on a lake that's has a bar and great restaurant.

The rooms in the off season are like only $50.00 a night. I figure they want people to come and listen to the live music, eat and drink and then stay the night or two. The low price of the off season rooms is recouped with the sales at the bar and food service. All the rooms face the lake and the buildings are in virgin pines. Good business sense on the owners behalf..

Back to the train room to wire the last N&J dwarf signal. The signal is on the wrong side of the track, but I remember really gluing this guy down when I installed it and any attempt to loosen it may result in damaging the base. It's far away from the edge of the layout so I doubt few people will know it's in the wrong position.

I'm thinking a installing some LED rope lighting under the layout in the areas that I work the most. It's hard to get under the layout and see waht I needs to be seen when working.

That's all for now.

Greg

########################

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Mid 50s yesterday for the high up to the mid 70s today. Supposed to top out at almost 90 before the end of the week. More pictures to share. I have only ever seen a CSX pumpkin locomotive once. This was the CSX MOW paint scheme. Caught a work train working on the mainline last week that had a GP38 in the new dark CSX scheme. So my guess is they did away with the MOW orange. Maybe someone can shed some light on this?
cspr-cl861-4.jpg
B&O_Shenandoah_and_Metropolitan_at_Cumberland,_August_1970.jpg
9119CSX-o.jpg
cocoalmthope.jpg

Morning all,

Dave (LaSm): I like the pictures of your work. I'm hoping to get back to that point myself. I'm trying to model the Great Northern myself. Something about that goat and the orange and green....

I apologize about my order, but I watched too much Monty Python last night.

Hi Patrick, I considered going with Great Northern as their line paralleled the Northern Pacific along my corridor. They also have pretty good availability of rolling stock.

Dave

The originals were owned\built by the same company way back when (along with the CB&Q). Interesting history of the group.

With the Santa Fe and former Frisco lines running through my town and the MoPac (Missouri Pacific) running through the area you'd have thunk I would have chosen one of those to model.

Good morning, 41 and sunny. We are headed for 64. I am driving up to Duluth later for a few days of training so will not be able to work on the model projects.

Glad to see you'all at the table already-- Terry, Karl, Chuck, Mark, Patrick, Willie...

Chuck-- I suppose they will put WI fi and other modern things in when they rebuild?

Willie-- your sign outfit is pretty cool!

David Trussrod-- I now have plenty of flat cars. One more of those roundhouse "shortys" is coming this week and I must have 8 flat cars. I think I will need several for the quarry and some for logging.

Here they are pretty much done, not sure if I will dull down the paint with some wash, probably leave them just like this at least for a while.

View attachment 36025

You can see the work area behind has some projects I am tweaking as well...

more later, Dave
Hi Dave Great job on the Flats

Afternoon All,

Ran some errands with the wife late morning and returned home to discover that FedEx tried delivering my lap top:confused:, so it should be delivered tomorrow. I didn't do much of anything else today.

Chuck- It looks like a nice smooth paint coat.

Willie- That's a neat WS scene with the bill board and truck.

Dave- Nice flat cars. Is that the only labeling that the NP put on their flats?

Chet- If the therapy hurts it's probably working.

Johnny- Condolences to your family.

Justin- More nice photos.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Chet ..... I like your video with MRL SD45's

Chuck .... I listened to your Alco with the video you linked.... Sounds good.

Justin ... The C&O and B&O locomotives look good together.

Instead of a photo, here's a video that Ray will probably enjoy.
I keep finding MRL videos on Y/tube quite often, that I haven't seen. The 2 SD45's shown on that one are still on the roster and active, They had 5 left after the purge of a couple of years ago, 326, 346, 351, 355 and 382. 326 has since been sold to another short line, leaving 4. The sound of the EMD 645 engine seems to evoke a particular like among train enthusiasts, sort of in the vein of the old flathead Ford V8's among car lovers.

Here is a vid from 2012 by a fellow MRL fan, Robert Forrstrom, a big contributor of photos as well, both prototype and model, also on Bozeman. a BNSF coal train with 5 midtrain MRL helpers. A mixed bunch this time, SD70ACe 4303, SD40-2xr's 262 and 264 with SD45's 331 and 330. The latter putting out some smoke.

Afternoon All,

Ran some errands with the wife late morning and returned home to discover that FedEx tried delivering my lap top:confused:, so it should be delivered tomorrow. I didn't do much of anything else today.

Chuck- It looks like a nice smooth paint coat.

Willie- That's a neat WS scene with the bill board and truck.

Dave- Nice flat cars. Is that the only labeling that the NP put on their flats?

Chet- If the therapy hurts it's probably working.

Johnny- Condolences to your family.

Justin- More nice photos.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Hi Curt,

I could not find photos of the really old flats, only a roster with the car numbers and lengths. I know on the newer flats it was "Northern Pacific" with a plain font (don't know the name of it, may be all caps in some instances as well)

In fact, had a tough time finding flat photos where the writing could be read at all.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back