Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chet - I thought my computer went crazy when your post came up, as it was the radar image that I was looking at earlier!o_O Rain is beginning to taper off, another 1" fell while I was eating lunch and napping, bringing the total to 2.25" since this morning. We were lucky with the tornados, none in the immediate area (within 175 miles), but there was baseball size hail about 50 miles southeast of me in The Colony. Smaller hail between here and there, but none here to my knowledge. It's pretty rare to have a tornado when it's this cool, not impossible though. I do think that things are going to be much worse in the states east of here. There was a tornado near College Station earlier today, but it was over 200 miles away.
On the map that you posted, I am just across and slightly to the left of the county line above the "D" in DTO

Afternoon fellers. I didn't get to stop by yesterday. I hope everyone is doing well. I decided to go with the B&O today. I'm going to share a good coal hopper modeling photo for y'all.
bo4819grafton.jpg
38676722260_d85c8a7eca_b.jpg

Today has to be the slowest day that I have ever seen on the forum. While the Coffee Shop had over 20 postings, only three other threads saw activity.

Ray - I model in 1957. Those 5 windows were a dime a dozen back then.
Not in New Zealand they weren't. Three windows were priceless. I paid 360 pounds (well before dollars, wouldn't know now what the US/NZ exchange rate was then, but it was big) for the '37 Ford businessman's coupe I bought. I do remember seeing a picture in a US car mag of a '39 in a used car yard for US$75 and just about crying in envy.

It's 8:40, have had two cups of coffee but still not awake. Gonna get on the recliner and close my eyes.
Prayers for those in the way of the storms.

Phil

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 49°, at least the wind has died down. Ended up with 2.5" of rain yesterday. The system has split and the severe stuff is moving east, the other half has moved northeast and looks like it is gifting Johnny with some snow in Springfield. Crazy weather week for sure. I started the week out with the A/C's because it was over 90°, this morning I had to start a fire in the stove; forecast for the next three days is near 80°.
Just three days left until my wife hits the unemployment rolls, two days of tax prep and a day of office shutdown. Her tips are up this year, there's a bigger stack of Ben Franklins on the table than last year.
Thanks for the likes and comments on yesterday's post, Chuck, Garry, Dave, Chet, Justin, Phil, Jerome and anyone that I possibly missed.
How about another Downtown Deco hydrocal structure, from the seedier side of town. This is Addam's Ave. Part I; which is a one of a five kit series. I have parts I & II.
05-02-18 015.001.JPG

Out in the train shed, I got a lot accomplished since I couldn't be outdoors yesterday. On the Oakleaf Industries build, I completed the remaining roofs and mounted three of the four, also added some of the buildings to the base. Over on the layout itself, I continued to add weeds and coarse foam, but stopped and ran trains because the adhesive was curing more slowly than usual. Switched out eleven cars at five industries at one end of the town of Vernon, and returned to the yard. Then took ten more cars out and switched another five industries on the north side of town. I used a pair of GP38-2's on both trips. As usual, time will be limited out there because it's Sunday and we're going to lunch with another couple after Mass.

Greg -
Up north we have gone to a combination bar-grill-bait shop for fish on Friday nights. A real mix of business choices.
We used to have a Chinese food/video rental establishment in town. They dropped the videos about ten years ago!
Sherrel - That sounds like a project for your son.
Dave - Nice scene with the SW-12.

Today is National Ex-Spouse Day. WTF? Why would anyone honor their ex? Celebrate the parting maybe? I cannot participate since I'm stuck with the same one for almost 47 years now.

Ah! The sun is peeking out now. Everybody have a great day. Thoughts and prayers this Sunday for all with medical conditions, ailing relatives or who are in the recovery stage.

Good morning, 24 and cloudy. We are supposed to get a gradual warm up next week.

Looks like a bunch of us got on at the same time today!

I will be in Duluth for a few more days of training beginning Wednesday. Don't think I need any hobby supplies but may check out the shop there anyway.

Started working on a couple 40' flat cars I purchased on ebay-- "Hobyline". They came as a set and the note with them say the seller purchased them in 1970, never assembled them.

They were light so I added some weight and am painting them.

First I added some weight by filling in these center spaces with JB weld epoxy

IMG-0383.JPG

I sprayed a few coats of semi gloss black

IMG-0385.JPG

I painted the wood sides and ends as well, not sure if I will use them but they fit perfect

unnamed.jpg

I found the car numbers NP used for these cars, however will not be able to exactly reproduce the writing.

Started on the new track layout as well! It was too crummy to go outside yesterday so got a lot of hobby work in yesterday,

more later, Dave

Good morning everybody ..... Coffee and a blueberry muffin, please. ... Stormy here overnight.

Greg .... Your background building is looking great.

Chet.... I certainly like your downtown scene with many vintage vehicles.

Justin ... Thanks for the photos. A good view of inside open hoppers in the first one.

Mike .... Snow is a four letter word.

Willie ... I like your pawn shop and other buildings.

Dave ..... Your flat car project looks like a fun one.

I'm still working on my coal mine project. Not ready for any photos yet.

Below is a photo of a Burlington Zephyr departing Union Station with E-units running "elephant style".

36408298770_46fb2ca30d_b.jpg

The attached photos are of the gauntlet bridge over the Cascade River on the C&PS RR. The very top span is a highway. The center span holds the UP & the Northern Pacific Mainlines coming out of the Cascade Mtn Range from Pasco. The bottom section of the bridge holds the gauntlet for the UP and Milwaukie mainlines between Tacoma and Renton. The bridge in the front holds the gauntlet track for the NP and GN mainlines for Seattle and Spokane. There are four helixes involved in this layout, (down from six), and Spokane is up in the garage, (workshop area).

Attachments

• C&PS0001a.jpg
    C&PS0001a.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 146
  • NSMT0006.jpeg
    NSMT0006.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 156
Good morning. 46 degrees and cloudy.

I was also making coffee. Came to the Coffee Shop for another and an apple turnover.

Justin - Always like seeing your photos. Thumb up.gif

Ray - Being a collector of old cars, I can understand you buying that old car. I have made many contacts over the years and have come up with some really interesting deal and barn finds. I am always on the look out.

Mike - Keep it there. We had a few snow squalls past through the area, but everything melted off in no time thankfully.

Willie - That's another great looking city block. You'll have one heck of an interesting layout.

Dave - That's a good idea of how to add weight to flat cars. I'll have to remember that trick.

Garry - Love your city scenes. Unfortunately the area that I am modeling has no large cities. My town of Logan is real

Dana
- Thank for posting the photos. It sounds like quite an interesting layout. Keep the photos coming. We love photos here.

Ran trains for a while yesterday and did a lot of switching. Kept me busy for a while. Here's an over all look at the town of Logan.

thumbnail_20190403_130706.jpg

Later

Afternoon All , just back from a show , nothing purchased im afraid as only European stock on sale
awaiting arrival of a Bachmann F unit with Dcc sound purchased on e bay
not a big fan of Bachmann , but was told their stuff has come on in leaps n bounds over the last few years
so i said i would purchase as it was cheap and new in the box 65 Euro,s = $ 73.50
compared to the store price of 184 Euro,s = $209
ok time for some dinner

chuck

Good afternoon gang,
It's in the mid-60s and overcast here once in a while we get a little drizzle but nothing much.
Went to the NMRA Minicon in Blue Ridge Summit Pennsylvania yesterday. Had a great time met a bunch of friends who I see from time to time, and a few guys from the club. I took part in a make-and-take session and when I was done the President of the Mid-Atlantic division of the NMRA was there. Now I've known Kurt for several years, and consider him a friend. Midway through our conversation he pointed out an empty table with the Minicon that should have been set up by the train Club I belong to.Then he asked me where are the members were to which I embarrassingly had to answer, I don't know. I sent an email to our club president last night asking if he knew anything about it. I'll spare you the details but his explanation bordered on the edge of plausible deniability. Now it seems to me that he should know about it. Needless to say I've got my panties in a bunch because of this. I think it's a great disservice to the local nmra group who included us in the mini con and yet nobody showed. Amazingly one of the other members had his own table there with DCC programming demonstrations, and I guess including myself there were five other members in attendance.
Why, with a club of over 35 members, the president could not have directed somebody to staff the table. That being said I feel the chances of our club ever being invited back to an NMRA function have been diminished.
I'm sorry folks it's just that I've been chewing on this since last night and I've had to spit it out, thanks for listening.
We now return you to your happy attitude in the coffee shop!! Smiley emoticon

Karl - What a bum deal regarding the no-show. Hopefully someone can smooth things out with the division president and they can continue to invite you guys back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back