Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. 24 degrees with snow flurries. We had a winter weather advisory posted from 7 PM yesterday to 7 PM tonight and only see flurries. Accuweather no so accurate.

Went and renewed my drivers license yesterday and then ran some errands in town. Hate to go to town, but as long as I was already there, why not.

Dave - You posted some nice photos again as usual.

Garry - Glad you're feeling better. Enjoy the trip.

Justin
- I always enjoy your photos. Got me looking more into east coast coal mining.

Tom
- Nice club photos. Keep them coming. They've done a nice job.

Sherrel
- Nice photo of the EMD demonstrator.

Willie
- I just don't know what to say. From a plywood prairie to an industrial area in just a few days. Nice work.

Here are a few photos from my club. The first is the main yard. Long enough to park a few long trains and still have room for switching.

20180421_204408.jpg

The next are the roundhouse and the engine servicing facilities. The Empire Builder is passing in the second photo.

IMAG1122.jpg

IMAG1123.jpg

The last photo is of the old NP depot. The club is in the basement of the building on the left. You can see the railings to the right of the building going down to the basement.

Livingston_Montana_Depot,_2005.JPG

I have been dissatisfied with the TV we have in our bedroom because of the sound. My friend gave it to us a few years ago when he replaced it. Now I know why. The base response on it is miserable. With some base notes all there is is a thunk instead of a base note. My wife finally brought up replacing it. ALL ON HER OWN. The best part. Found a nice 32 ince Visio at Best Buy in Billings so I guess I'll be taking a trip down there at the end of the week.

Sometimes things do work out.

Later.

Good Morning Everyone....overcast and rain in the forecast.

A little slow this morning since last Friday I had a large Coleman cooler come off the back of my pick up truck and I tried to stop it from rolling off. It's so heavy it took two of us to load. I pulled some back muscles and maybe some soft tissue as well. It's getting better and I'm lucky I didn't break something. May have to call my sister in law who's a MD for advice.

I'll try and do some layout work since the warmer weather will be here soon and I'll be gone most of the summer.

Willie: I have the series of the Sopranos on VCR tape and watch the entire series at the cabin during the sumer during a rainy day. Sure liked Tony's character. The photos of your layout show the size of the layout. Nice photo of the SF War Bonnet.

Dave: I like your coal bin and the setting it's in. Never did look for pine branches at the cabin to use as trees on the layout like I planned. Maybe next weekend?

Garry: Hope you feel better soon.

Chet: More great photos of the club and I sure like that ore train!!!

A trip to Walther's at the end of this week. They have limited hours and days fro the showroom.

Not much more to report.

Greg

#############################

Karl - The paint scheme has potential, but it looks like it was painted using latex. The goofy smile that the yellow grill/bumper or what ever that is doesn't help either.

Afternoon All,

Did some chores earlier and after lunch I perused some of my Pennsy reference books. Tomorrow is the dreaded first of the month grocery shopping bonanza that normally includes, The Dollar Tree and 3 grocery stores with the last one being Wally World.o_O Thursday I did confirm I'm going up to see Jon and Phil (If I survive tomorrow).

Greg- Very nice scene. I hope you get some back relief, been there done that many times.

Garry- I hope you're feeling better. Have fun on your trip and take lots of photos for us.

Dave- Very cool considering what it's made of.

Willie- Would you prefer Billy? Great progress on layout.

Chet- Great club photos. I really like the brick buildings.

Karl- The Pennsy had they're version called the Aero train but it didn't last long. As I understand it the coaches were based on a GM bus design that rode rough and had a swaying issue. Joe could probably tell us more about them.

I hope everyone has a good night and see you in the May coffee shop.

Karl- The Pennsy had they're version called the Aero train but it didn't last long. As I understand it the coaches were based on a GM bus design that rode rough and had a swaying issue. Joe could probably tell us more about them.

The Aerotrain was well before my time, and as I understand it the two sets of equipment required for the service ended up on the Rock Island, in commuter service. The train was unable to do anything it was supposed to do, and was a rough rider. Initially the Aerotrain ran from New York to Pittsburgh, but was later cut back to Philadelphia - Pittsburgh. Pennsy's Other ultralight streamliner, Budd's, (Tubular) Keystone train, was more successful and remained in active revenue service from 1958 to about 1970, in the NEC.

Boris

Good Afternoon Model Railroaders.....overcast and raining.

Ran my Atlas Milwaukee U - Boats in an consist and I don't think that I stated before that they last ran 12 + years ago at a C&NW Historical Society Meeting in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. I need to install the and front and rear rails on one and set the tailing unit's headlight to off in the Forward direction. These guys are pullers and together they brought a 16 car ore train up the 1.5% grade withpout breaing a sweat.

Ran my Bachmann 70 Tonner and it ran so quite and then it started making gear noises and then that stopped.

Working on my Walthers order for Thursday.

Later...

Greg

Chet ... Thanks for posting more club layout photos. . Very nice ..... I hope your shoulder is improving.

Karl ... The CSX Aerotrain is definately creative.

I saw the Aerotrain three times . ... First was in Los Angeles Union Station during a family vacation in 1957. We traveled to LA on Santa Fe. I think UP was trying out the train for its service to Las Vegas. I recall it needed a helper locomotive in Cajon Pass. ...

Several years later I saw it on the Rock Island in suburban service in Chicago. Both engines were used back-to-back for the train which had about 15 Aerotrain cars with about half facing forward and the rest facing backward. It was dirty and ugly.

Next about 15 years ago I saw one Aerotrain locomotive and two passenger cars at the St Louis Museum of Transport. ...

I suspect GM employed the same design engineers as they used to create the BL2. ... LOL

Anyhow , thanks for the well wishes . Improving. Still sleeping more than normal, but that will go away.

Last edited:
Pleasant times outside. We're under a flash flood warning, which normally doesn't affect me except it may flood the road about a quarter mile both south and north; a severe thunderstorm watch, and the tornado watch has been upgraded to a tornado warning. No need to worry about me, as I have enough cold beer to last all night.

Willie - Thanks for the info on the buildings,I have a lot to buy over the next few years.I try to take advantage of free shipping when I can from places like MB Klein and others to save a few bucks here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back