Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy

We are in Nashville yesterday and today.

Our 9/11 memories. Shelley and I were in Halifax, Nova Scotia at the time, and we watched the horrors on TV . We became stranded because all flights to the USA were cancelled . Several days later , we boarded Via Rail to begin our long journey home. The first train , The Ocean, took us to Montreal. From there , we rode Via Rail to Toronto. From Toronto , we took Amtrak’s International to Flint, Michigan. ( In a later year, Amtrak discontinued that train.) In Flint, we rented a car to drive to Nashville, TN. Our car had been parked At Nashville airport since we departed for Halifax, NS . We drove home in our car from there.

Last edited:
Garry - An interesting trip. There were so many people stranded all across the country. I have seen a number of stories of how well the people in Canada helped the stranded people. We were supposed to be at Yale University the Saturday after 9/11. My wifes family came over on the Mayflower and they had a ceremony for one of her relatives who was responsible for starting the university. We ended up driving, leaving Wednesday at 10:30 Am and arriving in Corfu, NY about 30 miles east of Buffalo the next night. People were renting anything with wheels including U Haul trucks trying to get home. Made it to New Haven the next afternoon. We also had tickets for the Sunday NASCAR race in Louden, NH for that weekend which also didn't happen.

Happy Days - My F-7B unit just arrived from Walthers. The ended up replacing both trucks on the unit saying that one truck lost signal when it went into another block on a regular basis and the other on occasions. I will finally be able to haul a decent size train at the club tomorrow.

Talking about our Spring starting on Sept 1st, so has our summer fire season. The air is so dry that when I open the upright freezer or the fridge, there is absolutely no frost or moisture on any of the glass shelves, the clear plastic drawers or the plastic packets within, and yet they are frozen.
The wife told me this morning that she woke just after 2am and could hear a thumping noise aganst the back of the house. Didn't wake me up to go have a look, so I went around this morning, checking all the sliding doors on the back patio etc for signs of forced entry. Came around to the one that opens onto the grass at the back (which crunches like frost when you walk on it) and here is a Cane Toad lying still on it.
It was a very dark color, which indicates, it's just come out of hibernation (also very early in their season). It looked dead and they either hunker down or jump away. It didn't. I touched it with my Slippered toe (see post above), all it did was puff itself up. It's still there after 30mins and the Sun is now on it.
We used to get quite a lot at one time, but over the last 5 years they've just about disappeared. Darn good in some respects, but a sign of the times?

Good evening.
I hope this is the final chapter in the natural gas saga at our house.
As most everyone knows, it is late Summer here, with highs still in the mid 90s many days.
Imagine my surprise when I received a bill from the gas company for gas used. I called the gas company, and among other things, our account info was massively screwed up, with wrong name, wrong phone number, all info wrong. The only thing correct was our mailing address. After some pretty tense conversation about how I could possibly be using gas, when the only thing connected was a furnace that hadn't been turned on, they sent out a technician to check for a gas leak.
He found one.
Our bill was waived for this month, and I'm going to call them tomorrow, and get the additional usage removed from our new, improved bill.
The fun never ends...

Good evening.
I hope this is the final chapter in the natural gas saga at our house.
As most everyone knows, it is late Summer here, with highs still in the mid 90s many days.
Imagine my surprise when I received a bill from the gas company for gas used. I called the gas company, and among other things, our account info was massively screwed up, with wrong name, wrong phone number, all info wrong. The only thing correct was our mailing address. After some pretty tense conversation about how I could possibly be using gas, when the only thing connected was a furnace that hadn't been turned on, they sent out a technician to check for a gas leak.
He found one.
Our bill was waived for this month, and I'm going to call them tomorrow, and get the additional usage removed from our new, improved bill.
The fun never ends...
Well with a full moon and Friday the 13th coming what do you have for an encore.:eek: Seems you got the bad luck bug lately.

I thought that was April 19th.

That's New England patriots Day! o_O

Willie: Like the re-purposed section house. Been there with the paint bottle too.

Chet: I like how you adopted the cattle pen and ramp. My space is 24" x 6½",so there will be many compromises with the cattle pen, and no ramp. Since the plant is being tucked into a corner, no one is likely to notice.

Temperature today reached 90°, although apparently that will be a one timer, for now.

Wow! a nationwide full moon, on Friday the 13th, which actually comes on a Friday this month. I worked a lot of night work over the years, and observed numerous incidents of craziness in the days leading up to Friday the 13th, or a Full Moon. This ought to be interesting. :eek::eek::eek:

Terry: All you need is electric service from JCP&L and you would be heading for the padded palace.

Thursday, is shaping up to being a very busy day.

Boris

...Do you really want to know?...
TERRY, TERRY, is that you??
1568266819269.png

Good Morning Everybody!

The Orioles managed to beat the Dodgers last night. Was it the Oriole's left handed starting pitcher John Means or too much celebration the night before after clinching their division? I can't say for sure, but when you get your 47th win in mid-September its always a good thing.

I had a good day yesterday. I got home early from work so I called my wife to ask her what she wanted for dinner. She told me "whatever you make is good". She should know by now that almost always means Hotdogs! I did make chicken wings for her in the new air fryer. She likes hotdogs, but not as much as I do.

All-meat, chicken and turkey hotdogs are best steamed, boiling is ok, but steamed is best. Beef hotdogs are best grilled. Never boil a beef hotdog! The microwave is a good alternative for any kind of hotdog if you want something hot in a hurry.

Speaking of hotdogs, I heard from my Mom that my grand niece only wants to eat hotdogs. She is only 2, but everyday she asks for hotdogs! My niece is a Muslim, but she is marred to a Christian. I don't know if they eat pork, but there are some very good chicken and turkey hotdogs.

In fact, when eating hotdogs *cold/uncooked (I am an experienced idiot, do not try this at home *Always cook to 165 degrees) I prefer chicken or turkey hotdogs to all-meat or beef hotdogs. That reminds me, I need to pickup some Kunzler chicken or turkey hotdogs. Kunzler all-meat and beef hotdogs are good too!

Oscar Mayer, Ball Park, Kunzler and Kirkland are my favorites. That is since that Chinese company that owns Esskay ruined them and then stopped making Esskay hotdogs.

I want one of these
1568280545324.png

Did I mention I love hotdogs?!

Good Morning All. 72° and clear skies to start grocery trek day. Pool is cooling off more rapidly than expected this year. At 5:00 pm, the water had only gotten up to 79°, about the lower end of my tolerance. I have to close it down early this year anyway due to our vacation starting at the end of next week. We'll be making our annual fall trip to Gulf Shores AL about a month earlier than we normally go, due to scheduling conflicts that our trip-mates have.
Busy around the yard yesterday as I removed almost four cubic yards of grass clippings from the yard to the compost/mulch stockpile.

Good Morning Flo, how about a Mexican omelet today with lots of hot salsa on the side.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's structure pictures; Chad, Sherrel, Patrick, Johnny, Chet, Louis, Justin, Tom, Joe.

Out in the train shed yesterday, it was another day of odds and ends. Spent most of my time scratchbuilding a sawdust/chip collector for the casket manufacturer. Started with some stuff from the scrap cabinet, a couple of dust collector parts from Bar MIlls and some parts from a Rix grain elevator.
09-12-19 002.JPG

Add a piece from a leftover sprue and this is what I have.
09-12-19 003.JPG

Here it is partially assembled.
09-12-19 004.JPG

Need to add another piece of sprue to the bottom end, paint it all to match and attach it to the wall. I have an open-top dumpster to put on the ground for collection.

Johnny - Enjoy your visit to the land of Piney Woods.
Chet -
I do wish that I had room for the rest of the pens for the packing plant
Hmmmh! Re-purpose the fencing to keep some of your errant cows confined?

Along the line of dates and numbers, next year (2020) is the first year of an eleven year run where there are three or less distinct digits in the year number. Then there are three in every decade after that for a while. No match though for the 25 year run from 1988-2012.

Enough foolishness for now, everybody have an awesome day.

Good morning. 44 degrees and cloudy. We should have some clearing skies and get up into the low 60's. Barely made it to 50 degrees yesterday.

Louis - Enjoyed your photos as usual especially the GG-1. I am also a fan of hot dogs. My favorites are from Nathans. Had some when I was a kid and spent a summer on the east coast and made a trip to Coney Island. They are hard to find out here but when we take our road trips we have run across a few Nathans along toll roads and in the Newark airport. Being that Nathans are scarce out here, Oscar Meyer and Ball Park beef hot dogs can normally be found in my fridge.

Terry
- I think Ray probably came up with an accurate photo of how you may have looked when you get the Gas bill.

Joe - Thanks for the comment on the ramp and cattle pens. Not many people would have noticed that. You can get away with a lot by putting a structure in a corner.

Willie - I enjoy rummaging through the left over parts from kits that were left over. It is amazing what you can come up with for other projects. When it comes to my errant cows, I do have fencing to leep them in but just haven't got around to putting them on the layout. This project is also on the procrastination list.

Together Again - ( I think there is a song by that name) Looking forward to finally being able to run both of these locomotives again at the club.

thumbnail_20190222_104717.jpg

thumbnail_20190222_154731.jpg

Having been relegated to running short trains at the club, the B unit will be a welcome addition making it possible to pull decent length trains again. We almost always have a track cleaning car on any trains running on the layout as the door to the outside is usually open to the outside when we are operating and weigh probably as much as at least three regular freight cars.

Now I can go run with the big dogs this afternoon.

Later

Hmmmh! Re-purpose the fencing to keep some of your errant cows confined?

I grew up in a neighborhood surrounded by railroad tracks. to the North was the PRR line from Phila. to Washington, to the South, the Reading RR, and a PRR industrial line. One morning, a freight train along the PRR Main line, made an unscheduled stop, and a carload of steers escaped from their stock car. It was like the Wild West, watching the cops trying to corral the escapees. Ultimately, they were able to heard them into the fenced lot of a Piasecki Aircraft facility, close to the railroad.

Chet: put that F7B to the test and enjoy.

Boris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back