Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. 48 degrees to start off the day with an expected high only in the upper 60's. I agree with Tom, fall is in the air. A few days next week have forecasted highs only in the 50's.

Was at a suprise birthday party yesterday for one of out bowling team members. the big 60. She had been giving her husband crap for not doing anything for the birthday, but being that it was on the Labor Day weekend, many people couldn't attend so we got her yesterday. She didn't have a clue about the party.

Terry - Glad to see that you got a train operating. Decent sound for an itsy bitsy train. View attachment 39257

Louis - Enjoyed you photos of not only that shiny GG-1, but the Canton switchers.

IBKen - Looking forward to see your photos. Hope you get the back up figured out.

Willie - Interesting photo. Was that a police K-9 in the back of the pickup? It it was, how come it wasn't chewing on the perp.

Sherrel - I do hope that the fire is contained.

NASCAR today at Indy. I did attend the first NASCAR race there but the stands in the infield blocked a good portion of the track. Prefer to watch races there at home plus the beer is cheaper.

Here's a photo of number 207 with a couple of Harriman coaches stopping for passengers.

View attachment 39258

Later
I went there once. In 2009, I think. Sat in the Canyon, so we could only see from the entry of Turn 4 thru the exit of Turn 1. But I can say that I’ve been to all but 1(Bristol) of the oval tracks that were before I became an adult.

Just back from Dayton. Come to find out niece and hubby are members of enterTRAINment Junction, halfway between Dayton and Cincinnati. I've posted a few pics under General Discussions. It's an astounding floor-to-ceiling display, and I would definitely be a volunteer if I lived in the area.

Toot- my wife and girls call these type projects, "Floyd projects".

I tend to work on the theory of the estimated time to the power of 5.

CONVICTED SERIAL KIDDER

I have a certain talent for taking a 10 minute project and struggling with it for an hour.

I also subscribe to the TOOTS method of time warp!

My attitude is a grudging acknowledgement to reality. I always enter on a project with the thought, "This shouldn't take long" and in some instances, they don't, but the general trend is governed by that reality. But, hope, springs eternal and I still keep doing them, especially the ones I know will be challenges. They're my mountains that must be climbed, simply "because they're.......there". (and I don't like heights)

I went there once. In 2009, I think. Sat in the Canyon, so we could only see from the entry of Turn 4 thru the exit of Turn 1. But I can say that I’ve been to all but 1(Bristol) of the oval tracks that were before I became an adult.

I have been to most of the tracks excpt for the road course in Sanoma ( can't see the whole track when attending), Texas and Chicago. They were easy to attend when I was living in Florida, but when I moved back to Montana in 1977, we were limited to 2 or three races a year. In recent years we haven't attended any as we were doing a lot of home renovations during the summer months for a few years.

Good evening, y'all. How 'bout dem Ravens! opening their season with a 59 - 10 whup down on the Miami Dolphins.

Sorry to hear about Greg's medical issues. I just read up the ten pages since the beginning of the month. Lots of great photos, guyz.

Since I last posted, I pulled the plug on cable TV, the cable company now only supplies internet. I found an outdoor antenna, that brings in 59 channels and sub channels over the air, in addition to 62 Smart TV channels and the numerous free streaming channels on Roku and Prime TV.
My cash outlay was for the antenna, and a new cable modem (that i own), vs the electronics I was renting from the cable company.

Beyond that, I was quite busy with family matters and outdoor activity.

Meat Packing Plant 09-08-19.jpg

I have been working on my layout. This is the trial fitting of the Walthers Champion packing Co, as Medford's Meats. The main structure will come out about six inches, allowing room for the power house and the livestock pens. There will be sufficient room for spotting two 40' refrigerators at the doors, and a stock car at the pens.
Meat Packing Plant 02_09-08-19.jpg

Workbench view of the powerhouse and refrigeration building while the glue dries. The loading dock built for the meat packing plant, will be used for the freight house, adjacent to the meat plant. The freight house will be the next model to complete.
Chester Freight House.jpg

This structure was built around 1895, and demolished after 1985.
Reading RR Market St Freighthouse Model.jpg

The challenge is replicating something similar to the prototype.

IB Ken: Good to hear your recovery is coming along well.

Chet: Nice RDC!

Willie: Keep those buildings coming. The DQ looks like one from my childhood.

Boris

Good evening. It''s clear and 75.
A tip for anybody putting together track:
Borrow a thimble from your wife's sewing kit, put it on your index finger, and use it to push the rail joiners onto the rails. That will prevent a joiner from skewering your finger.

I may have posted this photo before of this laying of the tank cars in Missoula MT's MRL yard. Came across it again and thought a re-issue might be warranted. I think about 1/2 a dozen needed repairs. About the same time, they were taken over by GATX from CONX. The repaired ones were repainted in GATX's black. All gained a new prefix number to their originals.

1568017172093.png

Good morning Everybody!

Sherrel, watch out for the Astros! Houston is not getting much press, but they might be the best team in baseball. The Cardinals find ways to win, the Nationals have 3 top notch starting pitchers. Other teams will have something to show as well. Anything can happen in short series. I'm hoping for an exciting playoffs!

Willie, don't be so hard on the Rangers, they are only 1 game under 500 now. The Orioles are 51 games under 500. The Rangers are beating the teams they should beat and have you looked at the Orioles pitching staff recently?

Have a great day Everybody!

Baltimore Chapter, National Railway Historical Society
Four photos by Raymond Cannon of the Baltimore Chapter's Oct. 10, 1970 excursion on the Western Md. departing Port Covington to Gettysburg via the WM "Dutch Line" with 16 cars. There was an optional bus for the Apple Harvest Festival. Train continued Gettysburg - Hagerstown, and returned via the WM main. The Chapter operated a full-service diner. Rail films were shown in the WM's Instruction Car #100, seen behind SD40 locos 7445 and 7446.
1568020063217.png

Andrew Van de Castle - ‎BALTIMORE OLD PHOTOS
Mount Clare Station
Library of Congress caption from original photo: THIS BUILDING ERECTED 1830 IS THE FIRST PASSENGER AND FREIGHT STATION IN AMERICA AND THE OLDEST IN THE WORLD AT THE TIME OF ITS USE. TRAINS WERE HAULED BY HORSES BETWEEN BALTIMORE AND ELLICOTT MILLS, BALTIMORE & OHIO THE PIONEER RAILROAD OF AMERICA. THE CORNER STONE OF WHICH WAS LAID BY CHARLES CARROLL OF CARROLLTON JULY 4, 1828. THE FIRST TELEGRAPH MESSAGE SENT FROM THIS BUILDING TO WASHINGTON. MAY 24, 1844. 'WHAT HATH GOD WROUGHT:' - Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Mount Clare Station, 500 block West Pratt Street, Baltimore, MD.
From the Historic American Buildings Survey E.H. Pickering, Photographer August 1936.
1568027448778.png

I'm not responsible for the use of "all caps" I just copy and paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back