Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Time for the Blue Plate Breakfast and coffee this morning.
Nothing really new to report. Got the damage estimate from the Body shop late yesterday, Nearly $2100 in damage. It was just repaired after being rear ended in April. I'm slowly getting the 10-year old truck reconditioned...lol

Pool is the type that can't be overwintered in place. It was only about $300 or so when we got it. While it is emptied, I still haven't taken it apart yet.

Beady, I love some of your posts, like the last one. I seriously dislike some of your posts, like the "lady". All in all you are more good then bad in my book.

Patrick, my Summer Waves pool can not be winterized, according to the manual. I still have not emptied mine, I'm hoping for a few more weeks. My pool also cost less than $300 and we surely got our money's worth!

I'll do as the manual recommends, empty, clean and store above freezing temperatures. My basement utility room will do, but I am not looking forward to carrying it in or later out of the basement! The thought crossed my mind to throw the thing out and buy another next year, but my conscience won't let me put that much still good plastic into the garbage. To bad it's not recyclable.

My next pool will be more permanent and winterized each year, live and learn.

Have a great day Everybody!

Good morning. Starting the day off at 59 degrees and may get up to 90 this afternoon.

Phil - Looks like you dodged a bullet but it's not looking good for Georgia and the Carolina's.

Johnny - Good photo. Wish I had room for a fire station on my layout.

Willie - The Dairy Queen will be a perfect addition to you layout.

IBKen
- Looking forward to your photos.

Sherrel - Good photos.

Gene
- This looks a bit like your avitar.

thumbnail_20190903_153152.jpg

Guess I should get some water on the plants and move the rain birds before it gets too hot.

Later

Well it looks like we got lucky. Our coast line angles northwesterly and Dorian went more to the north plus being about 65 miles from the coast helped . Only got a few bands of rain and they were weak-maybe 20 or so mph winds. Have had much stronger t/s in past.
Belated Happy Birthday to GARRY.
Spoke to CURT. He didn't loose any screens with this storm, no damage.
Thanks for the concern and good wishes.
Prayers for us all,
Phil

ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS... PERIOD

Last edited:
Afternoon fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Started working on my cameo car last night. Didn't make it very far. I have one truck screw that won't come loose. I managed to turn it but it won't come out. I'm pretty sure I have another 50 foot boxcar in a box somewhere that I'll never use that I can take parts off of. Not really one to cannibalize things however the is a purpose for the car that I'm working on. So I'll more than likely rob Peter to pay Paul on this one. Once that is out of the way I'll repair my camp houses and church. I need to reattach the Bell tower to my church and do extensive repairs to my camp houses. It'll take a good little bit to get those put back together. Haven't even touched three other structures for the layout yet. Can't make much more progress until I get my structures fitted to the layout. No pictures this time around. I'll try to stop later and check in.

Well I got my NMRA gauge today. Found I'm pretty good at eyeballing my loco.otive wheels. My GP7s wheels were perfectly in gauge. Also finished up my C&O boxcar. Had to get creative with the last screw. Finally got it pulled. Replaced the trucks and wheels. Installed some random knuckle couplers that I had on hand. Not kadee couplers like I had planned but good enough for now.
IMG_20190904_182958737.jpg

IMG_20190904_184933113.jpg

The NMRA gauge is a handy tool. Have a few of them laying around the layout. Not only are the good for checking thee gauge of wheels, but the track gauge and flangeways.

thumbnail_20190904_170340.jpg

thumbnail_20190904_170409.jpg

Don't forget this handy tool. Not only is the coupler height extremely important, but I can't count how many times that the trip pin is just a hair low and can catch on a turnout.

thumbnail_20190904_170514.jpg

The NMRA gauge is a handy tool. Have a few of them laying around the layout. Not only are the good for checking thee gauge of wheels, but the track gauge and flangeways.

View attachment 39188
View attachment 39190

Don't forget this handy tool. Not only is the coupler height extremely important, but I can't count how many times that the trip pin is just a hair low and can catch on a turnout.

View attachment 39191
Yeah I'm looking to purchase a couple height gauge as well.

Willie- Thanks for sharing your mortar wash recipe.
It looks like I need to add a couple things to my efforts, like more alcohol and the dish soap.
The last wall I tried to wash looked like it had been whitewashed.
I like your Dairy Queen, it looks like the place we went to when I was much, much, much younger!

Good evening..

Louis, Johnny, Willie, Chet, Sherrel, Ken, and others ..... thanks for the birthday wishes.

William .. Good to see you.

Ken ... Glad you are recovering from surgery .

Boris/ Joe ... I don’t see any posts from you. Are you okay?

Can’t say much more until we return home in a few days. Our anniversary is tomorrow.

Cheers .

Baltimore Sun photos

View attachment 39137
Then - Southbound Pennsylvania Railroad steam engines pull coal cars over the Susquehanna river on a winter day in 1951 (A. Aubrey Bodine / Baltimore Sun)

View attachment 39138
Now - Northbound Amtrak Acela crossing the Susquehanna river (Jerry Jackson / Baltimore Sun)

History (of the Susquehanna river crossing/bridge) from Wikipedia

The vicinity of the bridge has been used as a river crossing for more than 300 years. In 1695, the colonial General Assembly granted the first licenses to operate a ferry between Perryville and what is now Havre de Grace. In 1837, railroad lines south from Wilmington, Delaware, and north from Baltimore arrived at the riverbanks. For 29 years, including the duration of the American Civil War, a train ferry carried passengers (on foot) and freight cars between the two towns. In 1854, a larger ferryboat began to transport entire passenger cars across the river.[1]:37–40,111

In 1866, after 12 years of intermittent construction, the Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore Railroad (PW&B) completed a wooden single-track railroad bridge. Iron reinforcements were added between 1874 and 1880. In 1881, when the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) formally took control of the PW&B, it cut rival Baltimore & Ohio Railroad's access to the PW&B. The B&O was forced to construct a parallel route between Baltimore and Philadelphia, including a new bridge about 1 mile (1.6 km) upstream.

In 1904-06, the PRR replaced the PW&B crossing with a new bridge just a few yards upstream.[1]:40–43,117–118 Opened on May 29, 1906,[3] it includes a center swing span to increase vertical clearance for water traffic from the nominal 52 feet (15.8 m).[2] In 1934, the PRR began installing catenary on the span to help extend 11,000-volt electrification south from Wilmington to Washington, D.C. Regular electrified passenger service across the bridge began on February 10, 1935.[1]:44–45

Ownership of the bridge passed to Amtrak in 1976 when it acquired much of the Northeast Corridor infrastructure.[5]

Is that the bridge that parallels the Tidings & Hwy 40 bridges?

Baseball In Pics
Ty Cobb doubles for his last hit as a pinch hitter in the ninth inning for the Philadelphia Athletics in the first game of a doubleheader at Washington, September 3, 1928.
View attachment 39168
Hard to imagine the Georgia Peach wearing any logo beside the Old English D. Didn’t realize(or my not-so-smart brain had forgotten) that ohh played at 21st & Lehigh. Don’t know how bad it was in the 20’s, but know that’s a rough section of North Philly(& was 50 years ago, when the city chose to build the Vet at aBroad n Pattison in South Philly, Very close to I-95, the Walt Whitman Bridge to South Jersey & Septa’s Broad St subway .

Hard to imagine the Georgia Peach wearing any logo beside the Old English D. Didn’t realize(or my not-so-smart brain had forgotten) that ohh played at 21st & Lehigh. Don’t know how bad it was in the 20’s, but know that’s a rough section of North Philly(& was 50 years ago, when the city chose to build the Vet at aBroad n Pattison in South Philly, Very close to I-95, the Walt Whitman Bridge to South Jersey & Septa’s Broad St subway .

Mike, it is strange for me as well to see Ty Cobb in the Philadelphia uniform. He played 22 years for the Tigers (1905-1926) and his last 2 years (1927-1928) in Philadelphia. I think he had something to prove in 1927. He scored 104 runs, collected 93 RBI and hit 357 for the Athletics. Sadly, age finally caught up to him in 1928. He still hit 323, but that was his lowest batting average since he hit 316 in his first full season, 1905.
1567679353197.png

The man who raised me, my father figure was born in 1898. He shared with me lots of stories about Cobb. Baseball was to me what video games are to many of today's youth. Some of the stories were to illustrate to me what kind of man not to be, but Cobb's passion, determination and commitment was always used as an example of what kind of man to strive to be. He taught me; you can play hard and still be a good person. I could have done better at following his advice, but for the most part, I tried.

There are many interesting things about Cobb's career. He was not known for being a power hitter, but he did lead the league in homeruns in 1909, he also was tops in RBI and batting average that same year to win the triple crown! He scored over 100 runs in a single season 11 times, and drove in more than 100 runs 7 times. Add all that to his 12* batting titles, record setting base stealing and more! https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cobbty01.shtml

*Some say 11 batting titles, judge the 1910 incidents/scandals for yourself. Having the 3rd basemen play in shallow left field to concede any bunt for Nap Lajoie was just dirty pool. It no way compares to Cobb sitting out the final 2 games, the Tigers were out of contention anyway. The 8 bunt hits Lajoie collected in that double header on the final day of the season do not count in my book! It does go to show the intense dislike there was towards Cobb from other teams. Even if it is true one of Cobb's box scores (2 for 3) was inadvertently counted twice. If you take out Lajoie's 8 bogus hits and Cobbs extra 2, Cobbs wins and I still say 12 batting titles!

These are a few of my prized baseball cards. Not my actual cards, the pictures are from the web. Most of my baseball cards are packed away, like most of my trains. Unpacking gives me something to look forward to. :)
1567679576529.png

1567679523083.png

Morning all,

Supposed to be sunny and humid today with temp about 94. Feels like temp 100-105. Where the heck is fall???

I really enjoy all the photos of your railroads.

Not much else going on yet today.

Good Morning All. Clear and 74°. 94° for a high yesterday, supposed to reach 96° today and 100° on the next three days. We'll see!
Hey there Flo. I'll take a couple of the old standbys, sausage, egg and cheese biscuits this morning. Make a couple of extra for Sherrel for when he comes in, my tab.
I made the 100+ mile round trip to the LHS yesterday. I managed to get almost everything that was on my list and another laser-cut structure from Bar Mills. I was $3.95 over projected budget. Track bumpers, styrene shapes from Evergreen; shelf couplers from Kadee; tree armatures, ballast and paint from Woodland Scenics; several DPM modular wall packs; a couple of vehicles from Boley and assorted paints and detail parts. They did not have any of the color of field grass that I was looking for, something to start my next list. Man, vehicles are expensive these days.
Today is grocery/beer trek day. Always looking forward to that expedition.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday everybody; Patrick, Sherrel, Chet, Phil, Johnny, Chad, Justin, Mikey, Tom.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I unpacked, sorted and put up the stuff that I bought earlier in the day. I assembled the loading dock for the casket manufacturing company structure, but I have not painted or attached it yet. I also assembled some Walther's track bumpers for some unseen remote locations where I don't want to use the more expensive metal ones from Tomar. No progress photos again today, so I will leave you with a shot of the unfinished Murphy's Bar. It's moving over to the workbench to have a sidewalk, an interior and a few building details added while I allow glue or paint to dry on the current layout project. It is a DPM kit that I threw together a few years ago. I have a place to put it, but the rest of that area isn't on the project scope yet, most likely in early 2021 unless I start to spend more than 2-3 hours a day in the train shed.
04-27-18 005.JPG

Phil - Happy to read that both you and Curt survived intact from the hurricane. I wonder if Trump will get credit for steering it away from Mar-a-Largo, thus sparing most of Florida from a direct hit.
Justin - That coupler height gauge that Chet pictured is the same one that I have. Great tool. They are now available in plastic instead of metal like that one, thus eliminating the "shorting" that occurs when you leave the metal one on the track! Don't ask how I know this! I clipped the trip pin off mine, making it easier to uncouple cars.
Garry - Happy Anniversary to you and your wife.

Today is National Cheese Pizza day. Ugggh! What good is pizza without pepperoni! Reminds me of a very popular eating establishment in Dallas when I was growing up there in the 60's.
Pig-Stand-1924-DMN-ad.png

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 68 and mostly clear out there.

Got to run soon to an off-site Board meeting. These are getting too common, but they can be useful, and they're fueled by coffee and bagels or doughnuts. So I'll skip the eggs and bacon this morning, Flo, and get my breakfast at the meeting ;)

Chet, Sherrel, Patrick, Beady, Flip, Chad, Toot, Cambria, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments about my posts yesterday, mainly the firehouse (and the poor newsboy and his bike on the ground).
Louis - I love reading about the baseball players of old. Something's way different about today's players - I won't say good or bad, just different. I have some cards, too, but nothing like yours. And, yeah, I keep them boxed up.
Chet - No room for a firehouse on your layout?! What do your 1:87 citizens do when a 1:87 fire breaks out?

Prayers for all along the east coast being affected by the hurricane. My BIL lives in northern Florida, not far from Jacksonville, and says they escaped with hardly any rain or wind!

In the trainroom, I made a little more progress on the barn structure. I'll probably post a photo tomorrow. Here's a photo from the layout. I'm kinda embarrassed to post it 'cause of the road striping - this was early in my layout build and I was experimenting with various ways to stripe roads. This came out awful, so I'll eventually pull it up or paint over it and use automobile pinstriping to get a more realistic effect. This is the north end of the town of Pine Valley. I'm pretty satisfied with the main business section of downtown; now I have to work on this section and another section just south of town. It needs people and activity to bring it alive. From left: the firehouse, Johnny's Printing, an unidentified business, and the Farm Supply.

NorthEndBusinesses.jpg

That's it for now. Gotta run. Have a good day everyone.

Willie - You posted just as I was posting, so just saw it. Hey, if you're buying breakfast for everyone this morning, I'll take a sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit, too. It will go well with my coffee and bagel at the meeting:D Yeah, I agree with you on the price of vehicles for layouts. I'm going to see if there are any cheap ones at the train show this weekend. Sometimes I luck out.

Good morning. A couple of eggs scrambled, home fries and a pound of BACON please.

Got up to 92 degrees yesterday and will be in the upper 80's and maybe hitting 90 again this afternoon. Here's my "air conditioner" for sleeping at night. Just have a fan in the window to pull the cool evening air into the room. Was 49 degrees this morning, almost like sleeping in a meat locker. The black out shades help keep the temperatures down as the bedroom windows face west and get the afternoon sun. The temps are forecast to have the highs in the 70's starting on Saturday.

thumbnail_20190904_171056.jpg

Louis - Like the photo of the Mount Royal station. Sure would like to find some HO scale vehicles like the ones in the photo.

Willie - I really like the variety of buildings you have on your layout. Wish I had more room on my layout. I've had that Kadee coupler height gauge for over 30 years. Suprised that I haven't lost it. I also know what you mean about the price oh the HO scale vehicles. I have put a lot of bucks into my collection, but I will have to say that the details on some that are now available are fantastic.

Garry - An early HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you. I will be out of town tomorrow and won't be able to chime in..

Johnny - For road striping one thing you may consider is getting a fine point white or yellow marker and use a good straight edge to do the striping. I started some on my layout but one of my grand kids liked it and I have to pick up another. I do have fore protection on the layout, but I guess I will have to say that the fire station is off scene.

20180101_124336.jpg

Have to get a few freight cars together as well as the RDC to take over to the club this afternoon. Still haven't seen my F-7 B unit that Walthers was supposed to repair. They received it on June 4th. We have three more weeks of Thursday afternoon op sessions left so I guess I won't be able to use it until next year. I don't go to the Saturday night sessions as I hate to drive that pass at night in good weather let alone in winter weather.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back