Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garry -- Good to hear that you are improving ... hope/pray that it keeps going in the direction that "WE" all want.

Louis: Laughed out loud at your comment about the pitching - priceless!
I couldn't sleep either, so we can suffer today a little together. Matching couches anyone, who's on first?

Curt: What is that thing (load) on the flatcar? It looks neat, but I cannot figure it out?

"Z" - Nice to see you here at the diner. Did you get your "free" meal for a newby?

Thanks, everyone, for the Birthday Wishes! I remember when I would wish myself older - not so much anymore.
Filled up the propane cylinder for the grill - dumbcoft forgot to turn off the gas last time - and had a nice T-Bone for dinner with huge shrimp on the salad ... the pups each had a nice bone after dining.

Supposed to be 84* today, was 89* yesterday and the record for today stands at 105* in 2000.

Good morning y'all. The regional NOAA site is down, so I have no clue what today's forecast is until I turn the TV on. :confused:

Garry: I'm happy that the doctors have your situation controlled, and that you are improving. Get well man!

Louis: Laughed out loud at your comment about the pitching - priceless!

Louis ( and Sherrel): Keep in mind these are well paid MAJOR LEAGUERS :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Willie: It has occurred to me that your attention to detail and use of figures really enhance your towns and bring them to life.

Curt: The loaded flat is awesome. What are you planning for your next project?

The NHL pre-season started last night, unfortunately, I was unable to see any of the games. The Devils split squad won one and lost one, while the Capitals won in OT. These games mean nothing in the overall scheme of things, but it's always cool to watch young prospects trying to make the team.

Boris

9am and 49F. It was low 80s yesterday and at 1am was still 72F. Cold front and rain came through in the middle of the night. Supposed to be rain showers possible today, high around 74. Tomorrow Sunny and 80F. Thursday rainy and 69F high. That time of year of every changing weather.

Back in July I mentioned that my wife was in a car accident, when a guy pulled out right in front of her. (Based on witness statements and my wife's recollection of what happened right before, it seems she was in the left lane of a two lane each direction road, and a guy passed her on the right and she was in the blind spot created by that guy so the guy pulling out waited until the guy passed and pulled out in front of her). We settled last week with the insurance company. I am not happy with the end result but based on the criteria that the insurance companies use (which I think is the broken part), we got a reasonable deal. I pushed it up to people above the adjuster and the manager did do his best to get more into the settlement based on the restrictions he was under. My problem is that they take 2 "comparables", make proprietary changes for mileage etc. (and won't tell you how they arrived at those adjustments -- actually their third party company does and the insurance people don't know eitehr) and then claim your vehicle is worth the same, eve if things like KBB say otherwise. They won't accept KBB data, which is wrong. (Normally the KBB is lower than their typical settlement but in our case would have been worth $3k). Everyone else uses KBB for determining oan value, trade in, private sale, etc. What is worse is that the comparables they used were out of market since our car is not one that has a lot out there so they had to search all over the country. But the guy did do what he could to minimize the adverse changes to the "comparable" value that their valuation form had added in. Anyway, we settled as I saw no use in trying to push it further as they said the next step is for me to hire a guy and they hire a guy and they both figure out a value. It then goes to an arbitrator if I don't agree. It was not worth that.

Have not had much chance to do anything train related for a couple weeks due to the day job and family matters. Trying to get back to my DIY LED boards I was working on this summer on the weekend if I can.

Good morning.52 degrees to start off the day with an expected high only in the mid 60's.

Garry - Very happy to hear that you are feeling better. Hope there is more improvement.

Ray - Was that MRL tank car made out of gold, a misprint of the price or just way over priced. Don't see it going any where at that price.

Curt - Like the flat car and the load you put on it. Thumb up.gif

Terry- Glad that you got some things worked out with your truck. I agree with Chad about checking on the Lemon Laws in your state.

Chad - It is always a pain trying to deal with insurance companies. It seems that the person always seems to get the short end of the stick dealing with them. We had an incident years ago when my wife had a pickup pull out right in front of her on a snow covered road and spun out. Entirely the other drivers fault. As in you case, her car was totaled and they were offering a pittance. I really got pissed off with the other guys insurance company with his offering and had actually grabbed him by the front of his shirt and was in the process of dragging him across his desk when he made another offer. I had just replaced the engine in the car and it was in perfect shape and the agent offered to have a guy who I happened to know give his appraisal on her car. It did work out as we ended up getting top dollar on her car.

Willie - Guess it's time that you start packing. I remember your posts from last years trip. I really like your photos even though they are old ones. The F-7's had no weight at all added to them. They just had heavy frames. Other club members had a hard time believing how much they could pull.

Speaking of F units, I did go for an additional F-7A unit even though Sherrel DID NOT start a go fund me page. Those F units decorated for the Northern Pacific were a limited run and I can remember how hard it was to find them. The ones I have are F-7A #6009A, B unit 6009B and the one that I managed to pick up was F-7A number 6009D. Not re-numbering necessary.

Willie had a good idea posting older photos. Here is a before and after photo of the entrance to my town of Logan.

IMAG0325_BURST002.jpg

thumbnail_20190608_115836.jpg

Later

So I had a case of the Mondays yesterday. Working on removing a broken clamp from a hose inside the engine bay of one of our fleet cars here at work. The screw driver I was using to try to pry the the clamp apart came loose. My thumb slams into something in the engine bay. To which I jumped yelled lots of cuss words and ran around the shop like I was on fire. I suppose I thought I could outrun my pain. It didn't work to say the least. Now in my line of work you kinda need to have a high pain tolerance. But this one actually brought tears to my eyes it hurt so bad. So after I collect myself and get bandaged up I go back at it. Fix the car and sit down to assess the damage to my thumb. Well looks to be a black thumb nail for awhile. Perks of being a grease monkey.

Justin, don't sell yourself short, you are a Commercial Auto and Truck Mechanic. Possibly a Senior Commercial Auto and Truck Mechanic, I don't know how long you have been doing it.

A grease monkey fills the grease fittings (if there are any), changes oil and tops off fluids. They are not even qualified to do a PM, let alone work on the cooling system.

Sorry to hear about your injury, Ice will be your friend. It's like being a baseball catcher, injuries are part of the job. Try to be like an old-school baseball player when you get hurt, don't let anybody know it hurts. ;)

Sherrell, I was not laughing when I was watching the ball fly off the hitters bat and end up in the stands for a ground rule double.

Sorry to hear you could not sleep. It's bad enough when these aches and pains keep us up. I'm happy with 4-6 hours of sleep. Last night I got 8+, in stages. I fell asleep on the couch before 4pm because of this virus. I feel better now, I hope you do as well.

Patrick, don't blame me ;) You have kids in school? My grandson brought this virus home to me from school. Virus distributors they should call schools.

Be glad you have sick days. Keep that in mind if and when you think about going into business for yourself. I did not have a sick day for more than 15 years. That is until I was unconscious in the hospital. No sooner then I woke up I was asking to be released. I wasn't coughing up a lung, just handfuls of blood. All I could think about was how much money I was losing, even when the priest was giving me my last rites. At least the priest never sent me a bill, but everybody else that walked into my room did! "Yep, he is dying, that will be $1000 please."

I hope you feel better soon.

Chet, do you have Merlin's magic wand?

Boris, now you are talking! I love spring training and pre-season football for the same reason. I love watching the young players giving their all trying to earn a spot. It's how I have been watching the Orioles all season, it's been one long spring training.

I understand if a pitcher makes a good pitch or even a smart pitch gone wrong and the hitter drives in the winning run, but... last night my reaction was "why not go get the batting-tee and let him hit?" The result would have been the same.

When Earl Weaver retired for the second time he said "I can't work with this generation" that was more than 30 years ago, it's even worse now! I had all the patience in the world for amateur players, but if I would have been lucky enough to manage in pro-ball I would either get locked up or fired, probably both!

Ok the couch is calling me.

Sherrel, I only have one long couch, you are more than welcome to the love seat. I don't bend well anymore. The chair with the ottoman is pretty comfortable. If you insist I'll flip you for the long couch, but when I say "flip", I don't mean a coin. ;)

"Who's on first?" Forget about it, I'm signaling for a pinch runner, I got no wheels. It's September, the bench is full!

Have a great day Everybody!

Good Afternoon All,

Just got home from the school.

Garry- I'm really glad you are doing better.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Ray - Was that MRL tank car made out of gold, a misprint of the price or just way over priced. Don't see it going any where at that price.
Certainly not to my place. I thought too that it must be a typo, if it wasn't for him listing a second, with a different number in the header, and others normally priced. They're both still "up", so, if wrong, he hasn't noticed. Will be interesting to watch. Being viewed at 1 per hour. Gon'na be a lot wondering. Maybe that's the plan.

Good morning Everybody!

Another rough night, sneezing, couching, sweating, lots of fun. I did get some sleep in stages, but missed all the ball games this time.

Like I always say "everyday is a good day, some are just better than others", this will pass soon enough.

I'm worried that my Mom might get this virus. The hard head refused to reschedule her appointment to get her new hearing aids adjusted.

Justin, Looking at the picture above, how would you like to do an in-frame on one of those? It looks pretty easy to access.

I hope your thumb is not too swollen this morning.

Patrick, I hope you are feeling better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back