Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chet, the truck is still under warranty.
I thought it should be covered, but now you have to deal with that dealership again. banghead_125.gif

Well this looks like the place. Hope it's 24 hr, since I'm kind of a night owl.

Tomorrow starting off at 66 as I head back to the ole salt mine.

Didn't get a lot done on the soon to be train room. Spent a good portion of the weekend working on the daughters first car. Bought it knowing it was going to need some brake work. Most all went well, fronts easy, left rear the usual PITA drum brakes. Right rear, The PO told me he had "disconnected" it. I expected the emergency brake cable to be off.....No, pulled the drum and nothing.....just the wheel cylinder and the disconnected and pinched off brake line....( heavy sigh ) no shoes, no springs and most importantly the self-adjuster...missing. I have everything but the self adjuster, no one in town stocks it, much less can get it. So off to the ol' inter-webs.

Hopefully it's here by the end of the week so I can get it done before little one gets her "full" license next Monday. Not to complain really, it's a blessing and a curse, Dad's taxi services will not be needed as much, but they grow up too darn fast.

On the upside I have a business trip coming up that will get me to Salt Lake City. The Mrs. has granted an extra day for me to geek out at the Ogden Union Station museum and a visit to Promontory Point! So a day to go see some cool railroad history and locations and I'll only be out for admission and maybe a souvenir! One of the perks of the job.

Cheers,
-Z

Sherrel: Great photos, man. There used to be an HO model of that Beekins warehouse, behind the ATSF EAs. Don't tempt Louis, the O's beat Detroit convincingly, and the Ravens beat the Cardinals by a 6 point margin, so lookout tomorrow. He's feeling mighty feisty about now... BTW, Thanks! I sometimes blert out train symbol like OCS, not realizing that a Non-Con (Not a Conrail Employee or Veteran), might not be familiar with Conrail Train identification symbols. I have a problem understanding CSX Symbols. Want more confusion? Amtrak Train 148, from DC to Springfield, carried a Continental (Connecting) Flight number, from DC to EWR, and a second Connecting Flight number, EWR to New Haven. Amtrak Trains #s didn't fit into Continentals system, and their Flight #s didn't fit into Amtrak's. Same with Airport codes vs. Station codes. Not even sure they still do that, now that Continental is United. Transportation and Logistics business is sometimes weird.

Curt: Welcome back!

"Z" : Welcome to the Coffee Shop!

Terry: Best of luck resolving the issues with your truck.

I'm concerned about Garry, his symptoms are not good. Hope the Docs get a handle on it. Chet, what's the deal with Greg? Didn't know he was dealing with health issues.

Today's sports, was meh! The Giants fell off the bean stalk and stunk out the Meadowlands, while the Readskins couldn't beat the Cowboys, (as usual),
Meanwhile, the Amazin? Mets blew another chance to gain inthe Wild Card race, by losing to Dem Bums 3 to 2:mad:.

The NHL is back, caught some of the pre-season match-up between Arizona and Vegas, which Vegas won 6-2. The Vegas Commentators were still whining about the bad call that cost them the playoff series against San Jose, last spring. They need to get over it. i get it, they were robbed, but that's life in sports. This is a new season, with plenty of opportunity. Sheesh!

Boris

Chet, congratulations on your victory and that good performance. You deserve all the credit for working so hard in rehab.

I know one thing, that driver of the Penske truck will never forget that day!

I would have loved to ride behind one of those challengers. I imagine it must have made a lot of smoke when building up steam and I can't even imagine the sounds it made!

Justin, I know first hand that working in a mechanical shop can be one of the hottest places on earth, be sure to drink plenty of fluids.

Terry, I'm sorry to hear about your trouble. If all else fails call Chevrolet. I'd call them anyway just to see what they say.

Boris, thanks for the details, that makes the pictures even more interesting to me.

Willie, that is good advice, the problem is we have 2 full length mirrors and a half-mirror in the bathroom down stairs. I like that bathroom the best because it has the easy walk-in shower. Like anything else I just have to accept reality, it is what it is.

You reminded me of a 3 stooges episode (I think, could have been something else) "Doctor, it hurts when I do this", "Don't do that" :)

I love the Dairy Queen, we had a Dairy Queen/drive in/carryout, the "Thunderbird" not far from where I grew up. On hot days the man who raised me would buy my a soft ice cream cone as he walked me home from school. When I was old enough to be allowed to cross the street myself the neighbors would send me to pick up food. I always got something out of the deal. I always wanted cash, to buy baseball cards, but they often would only buy me food. I would think to myself as I walked "I have hot dogs in Nanny and Jacks frig, why do I need food?" Looking back, they could have gotten off cheap, I would have gone for a dime or even a nickel, baseball cards only cost 5 cents!

Sherrel, those are some smart dogs! They remind me of my beagles/bookends and I sitting on the couch.

Great pictures, as they say down under "good on ya mate!"

Mike, you hit the nail on the head! Many of the Orioles have MLB talent, but some of them have a lot to learn and belong in AAA. Oh well, it's on the job training. I still enjoy watching my baby birds play. I think our manager, Brandon Hyde is a keeper. He is a great motivator, the baby birds keep playing hard, some times stupid, but always hard.

Birds or no birds, the playoffs should be fun. It would be more fun with the birds, but that is not going to happen this year.

Z, glad to see you post in the coffee shop! it's open 24/7/365. I'm a morning person, but sometimes very early and I will over lap with the night owls. King Toot is from the land down under and he often here late night. Either way, your posts will be seen, sooner or later. Not to mention some of us "old guys" don't sleep much from time to time due to aches and pains.

Welcome aboard to our new friend!

Orioles win, Ravens win, that is a good Sunday in Baltimore!

My wife did not appreciate watching the Ravens on TV and listening to the Orioles on the radio. I was going to connect the outside antenna and try to watch the Redskins on a split screen. Maybe it was good I too lazy to do that? I better not push my luck, I'm blessed she watches sports with me. For a Hungarian women she has a good grasp of football, but baseball remains a mystery to her.

I'm disappointed in the Redskins, they played a good first half each of the first two weeks, but they can't keep it up for 60 minutes. I wonder how long will Gruden be the head coach?

The birds play at 4:10 today, I would watch the Capitals, Blackhawks game at 7, but the Nationals play the Cardinals at 7:45. Baseball always trumps hockey in my life. Not to mention it will be a great pitching match-up. Cardinals rookie of the year candidate Dakota Hudson goes up against Steven Strasburg. It should be playoff baseball with both teams battling for a spot! Another interesting note; both of these starting pitchers are pretty fair hitters. You got to love NL baseball!

Marty Bernard
A beautiful late summer afternoon in suburban Seabrook, Maryland, maybe 10 miles from the District, standing next to Amtrak's North East Corridor of three welded-rail tracks. No fence to keep me out. A grade crossing behind me. The sun over my shoulder. And a pair of GG1s coming at me. One wore black paint. The other in an already faded red-silver-blue scheme. And about seven cars inherited from the railroads, as were the Gs. This was however, still PRR railroading.
I have stood in that spot a few times over the years but this day it all came together nicely. AMTK 4933 on June 29, 1978.

1568627263802.png

Morning all,

Took me 30 minutes to catch up from the weekend. Sorry to hear about Garry's health issues. Hope you are better soon.

Terry, the lack of a dipstick on GM transmissions isn't anything new. My '06 Malibu had no real ability to check the fluid level or condition. I'm sad to hear you're having issues as I really like the 1st generation one I have.

I really appreciate the pictures everyone is sharing. I wasn't able to get any new ones of the work I got accomplished over the weekend. I was able to get the inner loop almost completed (the track is laid out, but no cork base yet). I need to get the 2nd lift bridge built and added in. I have a passing siding laid out and a way in and out of a rail yard currently configured. I am rethinking the electric isolation of 2 loops. As I currently have it, I can run a train around the main outer loop and with a second power pack run what I need on the inner. Having figured out how to park trains in different tracks, I think I can remove that isolation. That would facilitate moving trains between the loops and sidings.

Funny how you can think about what you want to do and have a mental block, and once you figure out what you want, it starts moving quickly.

Marty Bernard
A beautiful late summer afternoon in suburban Seabrook, Maryland, maybe 10 miles from the District, standing next to Amtrak's North East Corridor of three welded-rail tracks. No fence to keep me out. A grade crossing behind me. The sun over my shoulder. And a pair of GG1s coming at me. One wore black paint. The other in an already faded red-silver-blue scheme. And about seven cars inherited from the railroads, as were the Gs. This was however, still PRR railroading.
I have stood in that spot a few times over the years but this day it all came together nicely. AMTK 4933 on June 29, 1978.

View attachment 39481

Seabrook, in Prince Georges Co, had a classic PRR passenger shelter on the Southward side of the tracks, and was one of the last road crossings to be closed on the NEC. Without anything else to go on, and the absence of any identification from the photographer, my guess is that this appears to be a long haul, perhaps a late running # 440? Two GG1s with a shortened consist usually indicate a power balancing move, (or two defective motors coupled together to make 1 good one). This is around the time that I accepted a managerial position with Conrail at Benning, in D.C.

Boris

Gerry Meyle Sr. - ‎Classic Conrail
Three Ex RDG GP7s in three different paint schemes in the Conrail era at Abrams, August 1977. 5814 (624) was sitting at the RDG shops with cab damage at CR startup, 5834 is ex RDG 632 and 5828 is ex 626.
View attachment 39484

Surprisingly, these well worn GP7s survived into the early 80s, working out of Abrams along side of nearly new SW1500s and MP15s. Most were still as built, although the Dynamic brake was disabled and the louvers were plated over. The GP7s still ran over the road, out of Abrams for Reading and Allentown, from Abrams to Morrisville via Nice, and West Cressona, in the Pennsylvania Anthracite region, to Port Reading, NJ, for export.

Boris

Good Morning All. Clear and 73° in this part of the universe. Only reached 96° yesterday, same is forecast for today. Long range forecast calls for thunderstorms starting Thursday and continuing for a week. Most likely they will be heaviest on Friday morning when I am headed out for the drive to Alabama. With today's weather, I am keeping the pool open for another day until covering it up for the winter. I have to do it this week anyway due to going out of town for a week. I got 17 weeks usage this year so I am happy.

I'll have two eggs over easy and some sausage patties to start the day today Francine. I'll take a tall glass of OJ to wash it down with.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding my progress pictures yesterday; Sherrel, Mikey, Joe, Chet, Curt, Chad, Justin, Tom, Phil, Louis, Jerome, Patrick.

Got started on the scenery yesterday in the train shed. Working on the Fresh Market first now that the ballast is done behind it.
Before.
09-16-19 001.JPG

After.
09-16-19 002.JPG

09-16-19 003.JPG

A bit of touch-up, trees and figures will be next here, but not until I return from vacation. Well maybe not! We'll just have to see.

Mikey - I haven't done the windows yet in the Fresh Market. Woodland Scenics included the wrong printed window sheet in the kit and I just forgot to E-Mail them about it. They will be plastered with signs as was the custom in that era.
Joe - My railroad is not progressing as rapidly as I wish. If I spent more time in the train shed, I could get more accomplished in a shorter period of time. But spending eight hours a day there might be like going back to work! Other activities such as yardwork and household chores seem to take longer to do these days as well.:confused:As I posted, I admire those prototype modelers and all of the research that they do.
Sherrel - Happy Birthday! Congratulations on the plumbing repair. Bariatric surgery is pretty drastic, but Kate is correct that knee replacement won't be satisfactory without it. Thankfully Arlene was not too overweight to begin with and her Keto Diet has allowed her to lose 36 pounds in eight months.
Chet - That is not good news regarding Greg's cell phone. I share your concern. Hopefully it is a mistake.
Z - Welcome to the Coffee Shop. Yep! It's open 24 hours. Ray (Tootnkumin) keeps us going at night since he is on the other side of the world and down-under to boot.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning. 59 degrees to start off the day with a high expected in the mid 80's, but cooling tomorrow with some rain.

Sherrel - 548.gif Stay cool down there. Don't want your ice cream to melt.

Louis - Great pictures as usual. Like the GG-1's.

Z - Nice to see you visiting the coffee shop. I can relate to having to work on kids cars. One of mt hobbies is restoring classic and muscle cars and the kids (along with friends and neighbors) are calling all of the time with car problems. Luckily I do have the necessary programs on a lap top for diagnostics which at least saver a $60 or so charge from a mechanic.

Joe - The last I heard about Greg was in a conversation with Kathy, his wife. He had complications with gall stones getting into his intestines. That was around two weeks ago. Kathy was hoping that he would be released from ICU and put into a regular room. She was going to bring him his "smart phone" so he could check into the forum. Tried call late last week and all I got was a message that it was not a working number. I am quite worried about him.

Terry
- Good luck with the dealership.

Willie - Looks like the market has found its home. Good photo.

With the NASCAR race yesterday evening I did get some time to visit the train room. Hadn't seen the Northern Pacific F units run together fop so long with the exception of last Thursday at the club, I decided to run them at home and see exactly how much they could pull on the grades. 30 cars is about the max that the rwo units can handle. I am tempted to get another F7A ust for the heck ot it eveb though Sherrel didn't start a go fund me page.

Took anothe couple of shots on the layout. I guess I should get the flasher units working on the grade crossings. Took that project off of the procrastination list and put it on top ot the round tuit.

thumbnail_20190915_134052.jpg

thumbnail_20190915_135409.jpg

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back