Running Bear’s September 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Hitch‎ - BALTIMORE OLD PHOTOS
From my personal collection, this is an original W. M. Chase stereoview of surviving “Old Defenders”, the citizen soldiers who successfully resisted the attack on Baltimore by British ground and naval forces on this day, September 12, 1814. I am not positive of the date of this photograph but I believe it to have been taken in 1879 as part of Baltimore’s Sesquicentennial celebration of its founding. These old geezers look tough! Let me know if anyone is able to identify where this was taken. I am thinking possibly Druid Hill Park.
1568371820869.png

1568371851846.png

Myra J Donelson
That is the Druid Hill Mansion house.
1568371929731.png

CSX Locos
CSX B30-7 # 5535 @ Chattanooga Tn.
View attachment 39397
I had a pair of BLI Blueline C30-7's with DC/sound in UP "We will Deliver" logo, when the club layout was DC only. As Terry showed me on a YT video, the sound was far from accurate, but I didn't know till then. I always ran them in consist, and what I liked about the sound (mostly the turbo) was how it reacted to the plugin cabs they used. I could manually notch up by advancing the rotary knob in short jabs. The whine would immediately pick up in revs, but the locos would only pickup speed gradually, between jabs. They kept me happy for quite some time. Was where I started with CV's and values with the programmer you could get for them.

Good Morning All. Happy Friday the 13th! Mostly cloudy and 76°. More of the same forecast, no rain. However there is a widespread storm moving east towards us that's about 60 miles away. Hope that it holds together long enough to do us some good.

I know that it is early Flo, but give me the "full moon special" this morning. Giant buttermilk pancakes and maple syrup on the side.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday; Sherrel, Chad, Patrick, Tom, Louis.
How about some pictures of the homes that my townspeople live in.
Here is Bar Mills "Wicked Wanda's" that I am using as a rooming house.
05-02-18 006.JPG

Next are a couple of laser-cut structures. I don't remember right now who manufactured these kits.
05-10-18 004.JPG

Lastly is a plastic kit from Walther's
05-10-18 005.JPG

Out in the train shed, I started ballasting the main line going through the Maultown project area. Got about 6' done, 2' left to go and then on to the passing siding. Still laying out and plotting the dust collector location on the wall of the casket manufacturer, Taking a while since I had to use Walther's Goo to combine the resin parts with the styrene parts and the Goo needs overnight drying.

Chet - I like the ABA suggestion for the F7's
Sherrel - Best wishes to Kate on the doctor visit today.
Mikey - Nice looking pipe loads. My advice as far as cutting them, "Careful With That Axe, Eugene".

Time to move on, see you folks later.
Everybody have a great day

I dropped my cell phone into a cup of iced tea yesterday. It still worked, but intermittently. The good news was I was able to finish working with it. The bad news is after putting it into uncooked rice over night it is still working intermittently.

I'm off to the T-Mobile store to buy a new phone.

View attachment 39383Telling this story is going to be another "Floyd" project
Several days ago, I told Willie I had found something that might make good pipe loads for flatcars.. I had gone to an archery shop and watched the technician take stock arrows, cut them down to fit a specific bow, glue inserts and screw in hunting broad heads. He had cut off about 5 inches of a thin black tube. After my purchase, I asked him if I could raid his scrap bin.
He gave me about 30 pieces of various diameters and lengths of carbon arrow shafts. Most were .300 inch O.D.and I grouped them by length. After finding trucks and couplers for two old flatcars, I stacked the pipes on the flatcar until I had a configuration I liked. I glued the pipes in threes on flat toothpicks and glued them in a stack three high. Please see the photo.
The pipes on the gray car are 26 inches diameter and 38 feet long in HO. They could easily be used for other scales. The HO pipes on the other car are 16 feet and 10 feet long. The bundle in front of the gray car have been cut to 20 HO feet long. The bundle behind the cars is about 55 feet long and needs to be cut to shorter lengths.
Now comes the time killer, finding something to make smooth cuts. These shafts are covered with a carbon fiber over a thin, very hard non-metallic core. Razor saw doesn't cut, too hard. My 10" table saw with a carbide rip blade chews up the tube. Hack saw makes a ragged, splintery cut. A metal blade in my scroll saw took 3.5 minutes to make a ragged cut through the hard metal core. Finally, today, I put a 7-1/4 inch plywood blade on my table saw and got acceptable cuts. I still had to smooth most cut ends on a piece of sandpaper.
I will stop at the archery shop a couple more times for scrap bin diving and make more pipe loads.

Try using a pipe cutter. Like you'd use for cutting copper tubing.

On a different note, getting new tires on the truck and getting on the rails later this afternoon as the wife has to work late. At least that's my goal for today.

Everyone have a good weekend.

Last edited:
Good morning. 41 degrees to start the day but we are supposed to get up into the mid 70's this afternoon. I think I will put the hoses up for the winter this afternoon and get ready to mow tomorrow.

Mikey - Those are some sweet looking flat car loads. We have a guy at the club who is a master of flat car loads. Nice work.

Louis - Nice photos as usual. I will have to agree with your wife about the Hebrew Nationals. We can find them here, but they are a bit expensive compared to other brands. Too bad you phone can't swim. They can get expensive.

Willie - Nice looking buildings. I do have a couple of the Walthers.

Joe - Being that you were the one that started the chatter about me needing another F-7 A unit and many people agreeing with you, why don't you start me a "Go Fund Me" page. NP units are scarce, but I did find another Walthers F-7A on ebay for $159.

Speaking of F units, it was a pleasure to get to run the A-B set yesterday. Made up a train in the east subdivision yard and started the climb to the pass.

thumbnail_20190912_131729.jpg

Here is that train again in the main room of the layout. The tracks below the train that it will join is out "Town Loop".

thumbnail_20190912_143753.jpg

It's hard to get a photo of the full train except in the Gardiner scene.

thumbnail_20190912_132401.jpg

Could have pulled a longer train but had to limit the length due to the length of the passing sidings. Some guys can get carried away with long trains. Here it is entering what we call the town loop.

thumbnail_20190912_153853.jpg

Jut past the locomotives to the right is where the main line splits going to the east subdivision or the town loop. Here is the RDC running in what we would consider the wrong direction, or against the normal way of travel on the main line. Here it is heading into the east subdivision.

thumbnail_20190912_151401.jpg

Here the freight going in the "proper" direction had to take the passing siding to let the RDC pass.

thumbnail_20190912_151540.jpg

We are not limited to any time period or and railroad. You can run what you bring. Besides the NP, we have run Burlington, SP&S, Great Northern, DM&IR, Montana Rail Link and of Course BNSF.

thumbnail_20190912_154336.jpg

Found one interesting thing. My two NP F units will out pull a pair of these BNSF units.

Later

As usual, I get lost in the fray of morning posts! Been through my first cup just getting to this point!
Greetings Coffee Shop People!
As talked about yesterday - the temp reached 96* ... and 100* is called for today! Yikes!!
The record for this date was 103* in 2014.

Replacing the filters and storage tank on the water system has morphed into another "Floyd" project.
The particle board floor of the undersink area is really warped badly from a prior leak years ago and from the weight of the storage tank. I really need to replace it - so I stopped yesterday to give extra time to thinking about it. If I just lay another sheet on top - I am going to have to redo some drain plumbing in order to get the storage tank back into the rear corner ... who put that damn center post in the center of the double doors ... just never quite enough room.
I'll give it another hour before making a decision on replacing the floor?

Now comes the time killer, finding something to make smooth cuts. These shafts are covered with a carbon fiber over a thin, very hard non-metallic core. Razor saw doesn't cut, too hard. My 10" table saw with a carbide rip blade chews up the tube. Hack saw makes a ragged, splintery cut. A metal blade in my scroll saw took 3.5 minutes to make a ragged cut through the hard metal core. Finally, today, I put a 7-1/4 inch plywood blade on my table saw and got acceptable cuts. I still had to smooth most cut ends on a piece of sandpaper.
I will stop at the archery shop a couple more times for scrap bin diving and make more pipe loads.

Mickey - Those really make some excellent loads - looks like real pipe - not just thin straws!
I have the tool you need, but you are a little far away. It's a Dremel minature belt sander -I have all the smaller tools from my modeling and dollhouse days. It would be great for what you are doing.
OK - that's not an option, but --have you asked the shop keeper to cut them for you? Just maybe, if you showed him a finished car with load, that he would do it?

I'll make three comments about last nights debates;
1. I'm glad I did not watch, but I wish I had not turned on the national news this morning.
2. No solutions, just clever one liners and smart-ass remarks, what a waste of time.
3. How long until Super Tuesday? I've already have had enough of this crap!

LOUIS - Agree with you totally -- I watched about 15 min, somewhere in the middle, and said, "That's enough!"
No solutions - evade the questions - change the subject - just total nonsense with "zero" solutions; and each one trying to "OUTGIVE the other!
I went back to the ballgame - Why did the BAL manager pull that pitcher after he had retired 4 straight? Did not understand that move at all!

Chet, my wife agrees with you, Nathan's are her favorite hotdogs. For some reason, Nathan's and Hebrew National are among my least favorites. Come to think of it maybe it's because they are among the most expensive and seldom go on sale?

Personally, I am not a hotdog fan; however, my pups love anything tossed at them. Wife and local G-son like the Hebrew National, and to me, seems that they are expensive for a hotdog.

Willie and CHET and Louis! Great photos!

I gotta get busy around here .. slept in this morning.

Good afternoon everyone.
Greetings again from deep East Texas. We've been roaming around visiting relatives and long-time friends. Will head back to Hot Springs Village to take a look at a few more houses for sale, see if one of them is "the one." Lots to post when I get back to my own computer where I can access photos.
Have a good day everyone.

Was just looking at some old bookmarks when I came across this Big Boy picture. It isn't 4014, but it is 4018 during it's journey from it's old landlocked home in Dallas, to it's new one at the Museum of American Railroads in Frisco TX, just north of Dallas. The move of the Big Boy was in 2013 and was the last of 30+ pieces of equipment moved.
Picture includes the triple underpass and the historic Dallas County Courthouse, both famous from the JFK assaination. The Texas School Book Depository is to the left, unseen behind that structure.
HD2KL4QLYZ2OGGOYANBJPMQHBQ.jpg

Photographer unknown, picture from The Dallas Morning News.

Was just looking at some old bookmarks when I came across this Big Boy picture. It isn't 4014, but it is 4018 during it's journey from it's old landlocked home in Dallas, to it's new one at the Museum of American Railroads in Frisco TX, just north of Dallas. The move of the Big Boy was in 2013 and was the last of 30+ pieces of equipment moved.
Picture includes the triple underpass and the historic Dallas County Courthouse, both famous from the JFK assaination. The Texas School Book Depository is to the left, unseen behind that structure.
View attachment 39413
Photographer unknown, picture from The Dallas Morning News.
Willie: Very impressive photo. I imagine the logistics of that move involved a lot of discussion. Also, I like the residential neigborhood, and the Boarding House.

Chet: Sherrel brought it up first, I just agreed with him. :D. In any event, they look real good hauling that train on the club layout. RDC looks real nice too.

Mike: Those flat car pipe loads are super.

Louis: Today's upload of photos was exceptional. I especially liked the Alcos on the Bel-Del Branch. Alas, by the time I got up to Morrisville, in '79, the bulk of the Bel-Del was out of service.

Nathan's brand is owned by Smithfield, the same company that owned Esskay and dumped that brand. Hebrew National are pricey, and instead of eight, the package contains seven dogs. My preference is Sabrett Hot Dogs out of da Bronx, https://sabrett.com

They also sell a great onion sauce. I have actually found a Sabrett Push kart at a Lowes in Jacksonville, NC. I love hot dogs, but they don't always like me.

I finally got back to be able to read the above comments about the pipe loads. I think they look good, too.
But, the cutting is labor intensive, although my cost of material is favorable.

The pipe cutter works......if you place the cutter very carefully at the cut position and don't mind chasing the cut piece across the floor.
And my cat loves to bat the pieces under the furniture.
I also tried using a disk on a Dremel to cut the tube, but at 10 HO scale feet only cuts part of the pipe. The tool body contacts the shaft before more than half the cut is made and longer lengths produce a ragged cut.

I have not been able to return to the archery shop to see what they use to cut the shafts.
BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN CUTTING THESE SHAFTS.
Dried blood on components is hard to weather over.

I'll update you as I make any further progress.

Howdy- I'm still around. Been fighting "MURPHY" and his minions. They've been messing with darn near everything in the house. Nothing drastic , just annoying as all get out. Bank account taking a bit of a hit, but could always be worse.
Hope everyone is healthy
Prayers and Blessings for all,
Phil

LOGIC IS A SYSTEMATIC METHOD OF COMING TO THE WRONG CONCLUSION WITH CONFIDENCE .

Good evening .

My heart failure condition has acted up in recent days. Excessive fluid in my lungs makes me very week. Coughing a lot. I am being treated by doctors in Vanderbilt Heart Clinic in Nashville, TN and my primary care doctor in Hopkinsville , KY. ... So, I might not be here very much in the Coffee Shop for a while.

I hope everybody here has a good weekend.

Good luck Garry!

Only with a doctor's approval, after you get stabilized, but some studies have shown larger doses of CoQ10 (500mg or more) have helped those with heart failure have improvements in their daily lives. Not a cure, but improves the daily life.

King Toot, I guess it's like the old saying goes, "Ignorance is Bliss". Thanks for sharing the story of your BLI Blueline C30-7's. I enjoy that kind of stuff! :)

Willie, you have outdone yourself! Great photos of your layout as always. I especially like the white house with blue trim. The cats are a nice touch.

Great photo of the Big Boy in Historic Dallas. I love the brick building with the clock tower, that could be a Baltimore building! The reason Oriole Park at Camden Yards was built with brick was to pay tribute to the legacy of the many brick buildings in Baltimore.

I cringed watching the video of the Penske truck. Looks like the driver was trying to make up time on a back road and not paying attention. I'm betting a cell phone was involved. In the drivers defense, maybe he/she was looking at their GPS instead of the road.

Chet, cell phones are a bit expensive. At these prices you think they could make them at least water resistant! This is the second cell phone I lost due to water damage. The first was understandable, I got caught in a micro-burst, the phone and I both got completely drenched. My Amazon customer was happy to see me jumping over the "river" that had appeared out of nowhere in front of her house. She was so impressed that she sent the video from her security system to Amazon and Amazon gave me a $50 bonus. Not much help for soaking a $300 phone! Now when it rains I put my phone in a zip lock bag.

This last phone I just replaced was only in the ice tea for a few seconds. It's my own fault, it should not have happened. I've been telling myself "I need to get a lid for that cup before my phone ends up in it", too late!

Sherrel, I'm going to skip the next debate, like I did this last one. Only the next day I'm going to skip the national news too!

I had fallen asleep before the 6th inning and I'm not sure what pitching change you are referring to.

I did read the wrap-up on MLB.com. Bundy should have gotten out of the 6th with the game tied 2-2. Either the error by the Oriole's 3Bmen or the passed ball on the strikeout would have ended the inning, but noooo.

I did not see the passed ball, but our catcher, Pedro Severino, sometimes misses balls that should easily be caught. I've never seen any catcher miss so many easy pitches as he does. Just going by the ruling, passed ball, the official scorer thought it should have been caught!

Generally speaking sometimes I wonder about pitching changes myself. I think they put too much faith in pitch counts. Maybe it's just us old school baseball guys who think pitchers should complete more games.

On the other hand, I know a lot of old school fans don't like all these statistics driven moves by the managers. I watched Earl Weaver use statistics on index cards 45+ years ago, it's nothing new to me. I'd rather trust the facts, then go on instincts. Problem is I don't know all the facts, today's managers have computers full of numbers!

Boris, I'm glad you liked the photos, any of those old diesels with hoods are the ones I like best.

You are correct sir! Smithfield bought Esskay back in 1984. Smithfield did not change a thing except for where the meats were processed. The changes came after the Chinese global conglomerate bought Smithfield in 2013. They did not change the recipe, but they did change the process and that changed the texture of the Esskay Hotdog. I don't want a hotdog the "snaps" when you bite it. I wrote to them to complain and they said "we are working on it" and sent me coupons for Hotdogs I no longer liked. They also discontinued the Esskay Silver Label Ham that was a staple of my Christmas dinner for most of my life. Now the only Esskay branded products I see in stores is the deli-meats.

They did me a favor, now instead of paying $2.99/lb. for a whole Esskay Silver Label ham for Christmas, I buy 2 butt portions for about $1/lb. more meat, less bone and much cheaper! I see that as a Christmas gift. Not to mention, since the demise of Esskay I've discovered several other brands of meat I like.

Costco use to sell Hebrew National in their snack bar, I did not like them. Now they sell Kirkland brand and I like them! I did not know Hebrew National only had 7/pack, that's just weird. I've seen 12oz packs from other brands, but always 8/pack.

I've seen Sabrett Hotdogs advertised on Yankee games, I think. I never had them.

You brought back some memories for me. The lady who raised me use to say "I love onions, but they don't like me" :) Also I thought of the old carry outs in Baltimore, Harley's or something like that. They had a secret sauce they put on their subs, I did not care for it but many did!

Garry, we are going to miss you, I hope you get better quick as you can and come back soon. Have faith, do your best and God will take care of the rest. We will be praying for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back