Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. 25° and clear here this morning. Rather vigorous winds out of the SE right now, temperature has risen by 2° without the sun since I got up this morning. Wind chill is still 16° though.

Blueberry pancakes, a tall stack of them and lots of bacon this morning Flo.

Thanks for the likes and comments on the photos posted yesterday; Johnny, Chet, Justin, Joe, Sherrel, Jerome, Patrick, Chad, Lee, Mikey, Hughie, Curt, Ken, Tom.

While I made it out to the train shed yesterday, it was a bit too chilly to be there without long sleeves. I won't work on stuff when I wear long sleeves due to potential snagging issues. I did however run many trains. While I have two smallish heaters out there, they can only keep the inside temperature about 25° above the outside temperature. It's normally never a problem as it doesn't get that cold here except for just a few days a year.
In lieu of progress photos, here's one out of the archive of Schmiege's grocery store that I built about two years ago.
11-01-19 001.JPG

And a couple of fly-over shots of downtown Maultown that I completed last year.
10-13-19 002.JPG

10-13-19 003.JPG

Patrick - Great progress on the sidings and yard.
Joe - That harbor scene is moving right along.
Johnny -
Willie - You escape this current blast of cold air from up Chet's way?
Nope I got it. I think he's (Chet) right about this one, Canada sent it through his place.
No dead lady, she just passed out from the effects of Elmer's drying out.
Chet - Glad to read that you survived the trip to the doctor unscathed. It must have been quite a scene up there.
I too miss those drip rails even though we only need them 3-4 times a year, I also miss the crank-out vent windows, engines with identifiable parts and trunks with room for more than one body.
I originally thought about a bowling alley, but at the time that I built it (mid-80's), we didn't have computers to make appropriate signage.
I also remember those grocery store trips in the late fifties and early sixties, when heaven forbid, Mom left us six kids in the car unattended. By the time I was 12, she just left all of us home while she went alone. Now, as an avid gardener, I also still cook everything from scratch. I don't even think that companies like Hello Fresh or Blue Apron know where we are!
Sherman -
Hey Willy, how about a tape outline of the victim with some cops standing around.
Great idea, but just not appropriate for this part of town. Maybe on the other side of the tracks. I have plenty of area left to landscape.

Everybody have a great day.

Johnny, Willie, IBKen, and others - Lots of good pictures and progress today. As PHIL would say: "Thanks for posting those!"

Get your tickets while there is still seats available for the Impeachment hearing of the Century!
Should be quite a circus? We don't like this guy - Let's get rid of him!

Temp reached 87 degrees yesterday - only supposed to be 83 today. I did manage to get the oil changed in the truck yesterday, and true to form, it coughed a couple of times on the way home just for a couple of seconds. The problem has to be in that electrical control module? At level speed, not accelerating nor slowing, it just shut off as if someone flipped a switch. Yesterday afternoon I took the pups out for a ride to the BIL's place and it ran flawlessly.

Willie - your town looks crowded in a good way.!

Get your tickets while there is still seats available for the Impeachment hearing of the Century!
Should be quite a circus? We don't like this guy - Let's get rid of him!
umm... Politics?

I make a motion that all mention of the impeachment proceedings be banned, and that forum members are duty-bound to geld whomever tries to see what he can get away with.

Last edited:
Morning all! Well it was 6 degrees this morning (6:00am.....we got up to a balmy 14 degrees before lunch. (11:30am) :) Yup old man winter is here!
Went to check on my parents last night and stayed for dinner and watched NCIS with them. Headed home after that to stoke the fireplace! Tonight I will continue moving shelving our of bedroom #3 to bedroom #2. Hope to be done by Friday. Then will begin taking pics for the progress of the build. Ya'll have a good day! Back to work form me!

Good morning. A better start to the day today. First off, I don;t have to leave the house. Started off at 37 degrees at 0500 and should get up into the mid 40's with cloudy skies.

Curt - Like the photos of the fueling facility. You really do such a nice job weathering the platforms.

Terry - Ain't that just about right. Another manufacturer not willing to back up their product. Hope you can find the parts.

Joe - I forgot to comment on your port scene. Live it. I would have liked to have been able to model such a facility being ex Navy, but with the room I had to work with chose to model the area where we live. Waiting for more photos as you progress with the build.

Greg - Nice photos. I do not run trains in total darkness with the town lit. I wouldn't be able to see the trains. Just the town area of Logan is lit along with a few buildings in Churchill.

Lee - That was nice of you to offer to take care of the body on Willie's layout.

Mikey - Thanks for the comment. I do like that Suudebaker. It is a '53 Starlight. I had been looking for a real one for years to restore into a custom. I think it was the best looking car of that era, although way ahead of the times. I currently own a '62 Gran Trismo Hawk with the R-4 package, with the Paxton Supercharger and 4 speed manual. Currently put away in the shop for the winter. Here's a photo I took years ago. Interesting tire ad. Prices have changed. When my wife had a tire fail it was time to replace them. I was looking for a good all season radial for her car and needed it NOW. Ended up the only ones I could find in stock were Nokian tires. Best rating in the industry but $638 with discount. They are fantastic on winter roads.

thumbnail_20190820_172307.jpg Studebaker_jpg-500x400.jpg Still a good looking car today, as well as the '53.

IBKen - I found hydrocal at a building supply outlet meant more for the professional trades. You might check around your area. You have a better chance that I do up here. Like the photos.

Johnny - The build is moving along nicely. On the weather, we had the coldest October in history up here.

Guess I'll have to dive into the photo archives again. Haven't been down in the train room since last week.

20180827_183216.jpg

Later

Good Morning Everyone...cloudy and cold this morning. More snow later this afternoon with 1-2 inches forecasted which means either no snow or 3 - 4 inches of the white stuff.

Again waiting for the RN to arrive for her last visit this week and soon her visits will end.

After lunch I'll head downstairs to the train room and work on what I wrote about yesterday.

I agree that no politics or Impeachment talk should be allowed on this Forum! Keep all Threads train related. Let's debate the merits of an ALCO over a SW1500 instead.

Short and sweet.

Greg

###############################

MSN Loco 2.JPG
A MNS locomotive that was weathered by a fellow (artist) in Ohio and I tell you more about him in later posts. This locomotive will run on my CM&N since the MNS was a subsidiary of the SOO Line and that operated in Minneapolis. This locomotive was leased to the CM&N.-Greg

Last edited:
Good Morning all. Not a bad day here in H-Town, a little on the cool side but mostly sunny.
My vote, for what it's worth, No politics, and NW-2
We are on our way to go turkey hunting. Looking for a smoking turkey. I told her smoking isn't go for the bird and even the turkey's on TV are using Chantix. Oh, Oh I see "if I listened closer I would have heard SMOKED TURKEY" Later!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back