Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning gang
9 degrees here in the Ozark foothills Johnny I need heat from the southwest corner of the state can you please send some about 250 miles North East

Nice work everyone

Willie. I see you have remove the body if you need services the Wortham Funeral Home can help

E4A657D0-EAD3-4100-BA9B-74248724A577.jpeg
BE2BE8B8-4303-4209-AD48-C51BE65C4E6A.jpeg

Last edited:
Willie- I like the window display in your drug store. Very small town typical display.

Chet- Excellent night time scene. The red and white Studebaker brings back the memories of a college friend who drove a '55 Studebaker Golden Hawk. Cruzen through the drive-in and hollering at the girls!
I still cruze the drive-ins on my motorcycle, but my wife slaps me if I holler at the girls.

Marmaduke has changed slightly since 1955.

Attachments

• Comics-2 (04-55).jpg
    Comics-2 (04-55).jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 122
Good morning everyone. 39 and very windy in Houston. Thanks to everyone for the likes on Zube Park. I need to think about making another trip there but on a nice sunny day. I'm looking though my files for some pictures of a static display in Baytown. It was a sad looking locomotive that could use some TLC.

Good Morning All. A bit chilly here at 19° and clear as can be. Quite a bit colder than the forecast low of 25°. A couple of more days like this and then we return to more normal, with upper 60's by the beginning of next week. Most of my leaves fell yesterday and immediately blew south to the neighboring wheat field. They'll be back tomorrow when the wind returns from the south. Weird weather yesterday with the temperature in the low 60's and no wind to start the day. I was able to walk and do a bit of yard cleanup. Then the mist/drizzle hit for about two hours before the winds turned from the north and were between 28 and 33 mph all day long. Rather bitter conditions, at least the rain stopped when the winds arrived. Needless to say, activity moved indoors and I did some needed housework.

Hey Flo, start me with a handful of bacon and a pair of over-easy eggs.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments for yesterday's update; Johnny, Chad, Sherrel, Greg, Hughie, Ken, Kellyann, Tom, Curt, Rick, Jerome, Patrick.

I did get some time in the train shed late yesterday, before taking the wife out for dinner. Started the cleanup/rehab of the next two structures that were transplanted from the old layout, these reside across the road from the Woolworth's and the plant store.
View attachment 41466

View attachment 41468
EMT's have already removed the immobile young lady and I dusted everything off.
View attachment 41470
In a small mini-scene we have Hillary and Bill sitting on the bench out front.
View attachment 41467

Johnny - Yes to that wintry blast. Seems crazy that my temperature right now is only 4° higher than Beady's up there in Michigan.
Greg - Extra thanks for noticing the signs. There's a couple more on the back of the structure which is the side that faces the aisle.
Beady - I'm right there with you on the saggy sleeves. I do not wear long sleeves at all when working on the layout. Learned that the hard way over thirty years ago. On those rare days when the temperature in the train shed requires long sleeves (like today), I only run trains with minimal switching.
Kelly Ann - First time that I have heard it called Poppy Day. I always knew it as Remembrance Day over there in the Commonwealth.
Patrick -

Speak for yourself.:)

Today is National Happy Hour Day. I'll be celebrating at home as usual. Everybody have a great day and keep warm if possible.
A pigeon coop on top of the drug store.

A pigeon coop on top of the drug store.
They were quite common around here in the 60's and 70's. In backyards and on the roofs of commercial establishments. I never really knew what folks did with the pigeons besides breed and show them. As late as the 2000's, there were still a couple on the roofs of commercial buildings in nearby downtown Krum TX.

Mikey - That grocery add is a winner. Grocery stores sure have changed. I can remember going shopping with my parents with a grocery store being only a couple of thousand square feet. Today the cereal section alone would be larger than the entire store I remember, but back then most people actually cooked, from scratch. We still do.
CHET- Ahhw, shucks! Your kind words are going to make me blush.
I saved a lot of ads that I can crop and use for building and billboard signs. I'll share more I think will be of interest.

They were quite common around here in the 60's and 70's. In backyards and on the roofs of commercial establishments. I never really knew what folks did with the pigeons besides breed and show them. As late as the 2000's, there were still a couple on the roofs of commercial buildings in nearby downtown Krum TX.
There were 2 guys, one an elderly gentleman, who raised homing pigeons. The birds were trained to return to the coop. As I remember it these guys would cage up a number of the birds then take them some miles from home and release them. The idea was to time the birds arrival back at the coop, and of course that all the birds made it back. It was quite a sight to see when our neighbor, 2 houses up, would release the birds for exercise. He had about 30 of them. They would take off circle for a while the he would whistle and they all returned. On the down side his backyard smelled bad, pigeon s??t.

Hiya gang!
Been missing the last few weeks, between painting rooms, moving furniture from her house to mine, and other family issues. But the plan is coming together! Hopefully I can get down the basement soon, for a purpose other than cleaning the cat box!!

It's dark cold and raining here today :( I've been looking at the different eras of some of the sets. Gas anyone done a modern or futuristic set? I'm thinking of doing a modern one as my starter. What do you think?
Do what's easiest or follow whatever tickles your fancy. Myself, I do the latter. I don't know enough to specialize. Remember the Prime Directive: It's your railroad, do what you want and everyone else can shut their gob.

It's dark cold and raining here today :( I've been looking at the different eras of some of the sets. Gas anyone done a modern or futuristic set? I'm thinking of doing a modern one as my starter. What do you think?

There are folks here model all types of railroads, from old steam engines, the last of the steam engines, early diesels and even more modern ones. What appeals to you? I know a guy near me that models Thomas the tank engine. No wrong or right way to have a layout. Many of us model real railroads, but never in a way they actually ran.

My grandson is trying to figure out how to get Hogwarts Express onto his N-scale layout....

Afternoon All,

Worked on the wife's punch list again. It never ends (at least there's no interior painting this year):). Going out to supper with friends tonight. I finished up the 3rd platform in the diesel facility, so that project is complete. The decal set that I'm waiting on were supposed to be delivered today but wasn't. I just hope it was not given to someone else. Our postman has a bad habit of doing that.

Greg- Nice layout shots.

Tex- Neat photos.

Mikey- Interesting they make a point about free parking.

Beady- I'll tell my wife she needs vitamins, I'm sure she will be appreciativeo_O.

Joe- That's going to be a really nice area.

Willie- Nice buildings.

Chet- Thank you. Glad your shoulder is OK. Great night time shot.

20191112_140735-2016x1512.jpg

20191112_141956-1512x2016.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Harry potter is cool. Now that's a good idea. I could even do the platform? But then I like the modern idea. Still pondering :)
In that case, just start browsing catalogs, both to discover what really interests you, and what's available. The ebay completed auctions can be good for this. As I said, my own setup is made completely of what tickles my fancy, paying no attention whatsoever to realism. In fact, I consider realism to be the last refuge of those with no imagination.

Good afternoon. It's clear, very windy, and 34.
One of my new engines developed a driveline noise, and when I pulled it apart, I discovered a cracked axle gear. This one is a BLI N scale diesel. Imagine my surprise when I called BLI and discovered that, just like MTH and I think Bachmann, if the train was made more than a certain amount of time ago, there is no warranty at all. With both BLI and MTH, the time seems to be three years from date of production. And the newer stuff has production dates stamped on the box--on the inside, where you can't see it, if it's still sealed in the box.
Since I've gotten so much BLI stuff over the years, they gave me a break, and are sending me the gear and wheel set free of charge, this time.

As others have said 'it's your railroad" so it can be what ever your imagination wants. The most important thing is to have fun and enjoy your layout. With that thought, take the time to lay the track properly. Nothing makes people lose interest faster than trains that constantly derail or stall half way around.

Go to train shows if they have them there to get ideas. Layout tours help also. Another resource is youtube, I watch videos to see different operations, how freight is shipped, and how different terminals are laid out and operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back