Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not exactly your 4 x 8 layout. A couple of years ago took my grandson on an outing, Zube Park, with the Houston Steamers.
Zube 1.JPG
Zube 2.JPG
Zube 3.JPG
Zube 5.JPG
Zube 8.JPG

Good Afternoon Everyone....Mostly cloudy and some drifting snow and temperatures in the low 20's.

Work in the layout didn't progress as far today as I hoped since I only "Patched" two locomotives and no other work was completed. Wednesday will be a real work day on the layout since I'll be home alone most of the day other than the RN visit.

Curt: The pictures I posted are of my modest sized layout that is housed in its own basement room with a finished ceiling, drywall and carpet tiles in a 12'x16' area. These three particular ore cars once belonged to the Logan Valley Railroad which is operated and owned by Montanan and I just added the Woodland Scenics ore loads on the cars and on and replaced any plastic wheels with painted metal wheels on some of the cars. These ore cars and several others from the LV joined my fleet of weathered ore cars.

The informal model railroad club I belong to is a round robin club without a layout of its own.

Almost Miller Time....

Regards.

Greg

###########################

Saxeville Tunnel.JPG
The Saxeville Interchange is above this tunnel. -Greg

I have spent a lot of "spare time" the last few days going through the website BIRMINGHAM REWOUND. It has pictures of places and occurances in and around Birmingham, Alabama. It covers the years from 1940 to 1979 monthly using microfilmed ads, articles and pictures from the BIRMINGHAM NEWS.The quality of some things is rather poor, along the lines of a 5th copier image of a picture.
All this is leading up to the fact that I will share some of these ads and information to show things like styles and prices for a certain time period.
If you can use some of the information in your modeling, fine. If not, please ignore it and me.

Here is a grocery ad from March, 1944. Remember food rations coupons were required for many items.

AandP (03-44).jpg

I'm good at painting so that's one thing I can hit the ground running with. I paint the figures for my neighbours set :)

Kellyann- if you can paint figures well, you can easily learn to paint structures, rolling stock and vehicles.
I was told long ago to paint any plastic part that showed. You can always spot unpainted plastic on a layout.
If you have questions, please ask. Most of these guys on here love to talk to sweet young ladies, or even grumpy old ladies!

15 damned degrees; should be in the 30s, this time of day. 5" of snow last night; shouldn't have any for another month. I'd go back to bed, but I have to take the wife in for one of her infusion treatments (her immune system has crapped out). From there, we go to my mother's place, where I have to try straightening out a credit card problem.

FB_IMG_1572826159656.jpg

Morning all,

Happy belated Veteran's Day to all who served.

Currently 10* in Doo-Dah this morning. Went from 72* and sunny on Sunday to 30* with snow on Monday
Lots of catching up to do.

Welcome Kellyann. It's nice to see someone besides us old men hanging around.

I had been tossing the idea of chasing 4014 from Nowata, OK to Coffeyville, KS but after looking at the traffic following it out of Houston, with the lead car not going faster than the train and everyone behind not able to view, is making me think twice. I was going to take the grandson, but its stop in Kansas City is on a school day and we're a couple hundred miles away.

I did get some train time yesterday and got a bit more done than I had thought I would.

First 3 are of the completed station\passing siding:

20191111_184035.jpg
20191111_184041.jpg
20191111_184047.jpg

Still need power, but running a rail car over the rails and through the switches are smooth.

Next are pictures of the rail yard. The main feeder in in place and set. I just need to finalize the yard lines.
20191111_184104.jpg
20191111_184111.jpg
20191111_184115.jpg
20191111_184121.jpg
20191111_184128.jpg

The cork under Thomas is set, but the rails are not at this time. I may have a wiring issue when I power it up as the insulated rail is on the common side and not the switch side. I have to think about it a little before completing it. The cork and track are just laid where the final tracks are going to be. In the 5th and 6th pictures, I have the cork under the switch ends set, so all I need to do is set the straight cork strips. That makes the final part pretty easy. I am adding a rerail track piece to the closest (left most in the last picture) to the edge, to facilitate railing cars and engines. All this track needs power yet as well. I am 2 left switch engines short, so I am using manual ones on the closest switches. I have to make 3 additional power transfer rail joiners to get everything done.

I also got a lot of stuff (except the pile of broken engines) off the train table. I also need to get cork pieces under the switch motors to keep them stable, pay bills, walk the dog, clean the bathroom, wash the dishes......sorry I wandered a bit. :)

Good morning. 33F at 6:30am. Though I don't think it got any colder than that, or at least 32F in the night. Supposed to be partly cloudy to mostly cloudy the next week with precipitation in a week. Days are still supposed to be upper 50s to low 60s but instead of sunny, as it has been, a bit of clouds.

Nothing trainwise to report. Did get some mods to the houseplans to the architect yesterday. Small things mostly, like moving doors, removing doors, and minor shifts in things.

Good Morning All. A bit chilly here at 19° and clear as can be. Quite a bit colder than the forecast low of 25°. A couple of more days like this and then we return to more normal, with upper 60's by the beginning of next week. Most of my leaves fell yesterday and immediately blew south to the neighboring wheat field. They'll be back tomorrow when the wind returns from the south. Weird weather yesterday with the temperature in the low 60's and no wind to start the day. I was able to walk and do a bit of yard cleanup. Then the mist/drizzle hit for about two hours before the winds turned from the north and were between 28 and 33 mph all day long. Rather bitter conditions, at least the rain stopped when the winds arrived. Needless to say, activity moved indoors and I did some needed housework.

Hey Flo, start me with a handful of bacon and a pair of over-easy eggs.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments for yesterday's update; Johnny, Chad, Sherrel, Greg, Hughie, Ken, Kellyann, Tom, Curt, Rick, Jerome, Patrick.

I did get some time in the train shed late yesterday, before taking the wife out for dinner. Started the cleanup/rehab of the next two structures that were transplanted from the old layout, these reside across the road from the Woolworth's and the plant store.
11-12-19 001.JPG

11-12-19 002.JPG

EMT's have already removed the immobile young lady and I dusted everything off.
11-12-19 003.JPG

In a small mini-scene we have Hillary and Bill sitting on the bench out front.
11-12-19 004.JPG

Johnny - Yes to that wintry blast. Seems crazy that my temperature right now is only 4° higher than Beady's up there in Michigan.
Greg - Extra thanks for noticing the signs. There's a couple more on the back of the structure which is the side that faces the aisle.
Beady - I'm right there with you on the saggy sleeves. I do not wear long sleeves at all when working on the layout. Learned that the hard way over thirty years ago. On those rare days when the temperature in the train shed requires long sleeves (like today), I only run trains with minimal switching.
Kelly Ann - First time that I have heard it called Poppy Day. I always knew it as Remembrance Day over there in the Commonwealth.
Patrick -
It's nice to see someone besides us old men hanging around.
Speak for yourself.:)

Today is National Happy Hour Day. I'll be celebrating at home as usual. Everybody have a great day and keep warm if possible.

Good morning everyone. 13 degrees out there!! DID YOU HEAR ME?!? 13 STINKING DEGREES!! It's too early in the season for these kinds of temperatures. CHET, YOU'RE NOT LISTENING!!

Dicey drive home from work yesterday - quite a few folks skidded off the roads, a couple of fender benders. Dicey drive in to work this morning, too. Growing up in New York and driving up to Vermont to ski every winter taught me how to drive in these kinds of conditions, so we have no problems. I pity the folks who go 40 on icy side roads and think they can stop on a dime for a traffic light or stop sign.

Willie, Patrick, Wheeler, Chessie, TexasHobo, Sherryl, Tom, Kellyann, Alcomotive, IB Ken, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments from my post yesterday.
Willie - You escape this current blast of cold air from up Chet's way?
Texas Hobo - Those are great photos of that garden railroad. There's a guy here out east of Springfield who has a riding railroad that runs all over his acreage, and he has a BIG spread. Hardly ever catch him out on it, though, but it sure looks like fun, especially for grandkids..
Patrick - Your trackwork is coming along nicely. Looks like it will be a fun layout to run on.

Well, nothing much to report from the modeling workbench. No photos today. I'm continuing to experiment with colors for the new general store build (that will be a bait and tackle shop). Exterior walls will be D&RGW Freight Car Red. I'm painting the roof pieces BNSF Heritage Green, letting that dry, then overpainting with CSX Gray and blotting with paper towels - I like the effect it gives with just a little hint of the green showing through (all of these are PolyScale colors).

Coffee pot is yelling my name. Have a good day everyone.

Hey, Kellyann - My wife is British by birth (her mom was British, her dad is American) - she was born in Ruislip, northwest of London. We've been to England a number of times over the years to visit relatives. Most of them live in or around London, Watford, etc. One of her cousins lives in Brighton, and her uncle lives in Taunton, not far south of you.

Good morning. Didn't check in yesterday as I had an early doctors appointment for a check up on my shoulder. It was one heck of a trip. We had rain Sunday starting around noon and the temperatures dropped continuously throughout the day and then we got a few inches of snow over night. The roads were a sheet of ice.

What a mess yesterday morning. 8 Degrees. First off, I had a hard time getting into the car as without the drip rails cars used to have ice froze the door weather stripping to the body. I had an 8:15 appointment so I got stuck with the morning traffic which ended up being amateur hour. Anyone going into a ditch (which there were a lot of) just about needed an appointment as the ditches were getting crowded. I lost count around 40 vehicles off of the road. Actually stopped counting. There were more. Too many newbies moving into the area. By the time I got back home there was a pooch mark on the drivers seat that looked like a traffic cone. This place is just getting too crowded. We have been thinking of moving out of the area for quite a while. This is another reason. The shoulder checked out just fine. Never got above the mid 20's but we are expected to be near 50 this afternoon.

Curt - Really like that flat car deck. Nice job.

Texas Hobo
- Nice photos. Like that old Alco a lot. Sounds like an interesting trip. We have dinner train with some cowboy action up here also. Enjoy the trips like that.

IBKen
- Like the photos. Nice progress. Glad you were able to find hydrocal. I located a distributor years ago in Billings and picked up two fifty pound bags. Just have a little left now.

Willie - Like your photos again as usual. That Woolworth's building could make a nice bowling alley. Might be a bit short, but long enough to give a decent representations. Lanes are 60 feet long with an approach area and room needed for the bowling machines. Those town houses are cool. Did that poor woman get mugged???

Johnny
- Quit whining about the cold weather. We're doing the best we can to wear it out before sending it east. Blame the Canadians. Looks like you have another project started.

Greg - A welding scene sound like a good addition. Looking forward to see the installation. Like the ore cars also. They look familiar.

Mikey - That grocery add is a winner. Grocery stores sure have changed. I can remember going shopping with my parents with a grocery store being only a couple of thousand square feet. Today the cereal section alone would be larger than the entire store I remember, but back then most people actually cooked, from scratch. We still do.

Patrick
- You are making some good progress. Looking good.

Will have to back to the Logan Valley archives again for a photo.

20180519_205225.jpg

Later

Good Morning - I thought that lady fainted from seeing the latest gasoline prices?
I'll try and slip this by you shivering guys ... Supposed to be 85* today (was 83* yesterday). The record high for this date is 92* in 1999.
I may have to switch from coffee to iced tea!

Off to get the oil changed in the P/U this morning - it has still not coughed once. I cannot figure that one out, has the mechanic puzzled too!

Good morning everyone....sunny and cold here and I believe a record low last night and this morning. Right now its a balmy 10 degrees, its like its almost January here in November. I have a 1:00 PM appointment for the truck's oil change and a factory recall repair. The truck's remote start on days like is nice to warm up the truck or to cool it down on very hot and humid days in the summer.

Sent an email to a President of a large local electrical contracting company who I worked very closely with for over 30 years and seen him start as an field electrician and now he's the President and CEO of this very successful company. I received a reply email from him this morning and news around his business, my former employer and his personal life. Old friends are hard to keep in our busy lives and one should keep in touch with old friends and not lose contact on the years. Several times a year I have breakfast with seven or eight guys from high school and our relationship goes back over 56 years.

I'll go down to the train room this afternoon when I get home and at least drill the holes for the two lamp posts and the arc welder that I'll be installing. I run the arc welder wiring to the fascia to save wire since I don't want to use the extra length of wire to run back to the master control panel. The welder uses miniature LED's and will be easier to conceal than the older units that use incandescent lamps. I have an older unit from Circuitron in my engine house and visitors can see the blue light flickering through the widows of the engine house.

Tomorrow will be a train day except for the RN coming for her second weekly visit and then the Mrs. leaving at 7:00 AM for a bus trip to local Christmas gift shops.

I did finish the locomotive decaling yesterday and today I'll run the 70 Tonner on a break-in run for several hours.

Chet: The night scene is so realistic. Have you ever run the layout at night using just the layout lighting? I knew a modeler who built a mining scene in a room next to his layout and the only light in the room is from the mine scene's lighting. Trains enter the room via a tunnel and the locomotive engineers used the dwarf turnout indicators, building lighting and pole fixtures to do their switching moves.

Sherrel: Going to fill up the tank on my pick up truck with gasoline at $2.45/gal and just recently it was at $2.29/gal at certain stations.

That's about all for this morning's news.....

Greg

###################

Engine House.jpg
The cash poor CM&N's two stall engine house has six grain of wheat lamps illuminating the interior. The lamps are hung from a buss made from two pieces of clothes hangers and the lamps leads are soldered to the metal hanger pieces. I tinted the windows of the engine house so the interior lighting is difficult to see other than the arc welder.-Greg

Milw Rd and C&NW Junk Yard.jpg
A freshly painted Milwaukee locomotive cruises past the Omro Junk Yard.-Greg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back