Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I wanted to start my own set how big an area should I start and what does it cost? Arthur has plenty of spares I can use but said I need MDF 6x6 whatever that means? :rolleyes:
If you want to begin one of your own, many people use a 4'x8' plywood sheet as a jumping-off point. They're relatively inexpensive and easy-ish to move around by yourself.

Good evening Shop Dwellers! 51*F, calm and dark in my corner of the Mid-Atlantic region.

First off, thank you everybody for the "likes", comments and other positive feedback on my photos of the scenery mess from Friday! Don't have the time to call out individual names as many of you do, apologies for that.

... IB-KEN - Sorry to hear that your project is balking at you! I have never seen you do anything halfway, so I figure that you are just going to keep at it until it is correct? Stay warm, Are you doing O.K. from your prior condition? How about your Spousal Unit?

I know, Sherrell, sometimes [especially with modeling "natural" stuff in my case] I gotta learn from my mistakes and start over, this was one of those times. S-U is doing fine now, thanks for askin! As for me, I am able to enjoy all the activities that I did during my pre-surgical life. Sorry to hear about your daughter's ordeal, I did a few somersaults over handlebars myself during my childhood, one of those incidents cost me my two front teeth!

... Ken- Yeah that sounds like it sucks. Can you use plaster with white glue added in for hardening?

Curt, as a matter of fact I did end up doing something similar to your idea, will describe it later in this post...

Garry - bummer to hear that your illness is preventing you from enjoying the social aspects of the hobby, will add you to my prayer list!

Joe - great job on that warehouse and the pier beneath it, look forward to seeing it painted!

Chet - looks like age is getting the best of me, I was really "slow on the uptake" when I read your earlier joke - the subsequent posts suddenly made it clear 6 hours later!:D

Saturday morning I decided to try a different method of applying the Mold-a-Scene for my White Castle parking lot [plus the driveway to the interlocking tower on the opposite side of the road]. First, I poured dry Mold-a-Scene straight from the carton onto the target areas and graded it into the exact shapes and contours I wanted:

WhiteTowerParkingLotDryPreGraded.jpg

...did a quick mock-up placement of the burger stand to verify the dimensions...

WhiteTowerParkingLotPreGradeMockup.jpg

...then I sprayed water mist onto everything and left it undisturbed to dry for 12 hours:

WhiteTowerParkingLotPreGradeWetted.jpg

During that 'intermission', I discovered a hobbyshop 45 minutes from my house that actually had Hydrocal in stock, so I dashed over and got a 2lb carton. And when I checked this morning, the parking lot was cured - but the surface was so rough it looked like it was covered with rip-rap. I sure as h*** wouldn't want to drive my 1:87 car over that! So I applied a thin top layer of Hydrocal to smooth it out, using the same method of grade-and-wet as I described above. Got summoned away so didn't get any photos of that, but I verified later that it worked (i.e., the lot is driveable).

When I went back out this afternoon, my ADHD kicked in and I felt compelled to fix something in that spot that has bugged me since Day One: the crossing flasher gantries seemed too toy-like in their silver paint. The ones I drive past on my way to- and from work are dull and grungy. So I painted the silver surfaces in Polyscale Light Aircraft Gray; that gave me exactly the effect I wanted, to emphasize the [black] flasher targets and DE-emphasize the supporting hardware. Here's a view of the [further] one painted, and the closer one still in its "as delivered" colors:

SouthBrooklynCrossingGantryPaintedGray.jpg

Next, I'll have to focus on filling in that empty corner area behind the ROW, toward the left. Because with scenery or any kind of messy work, ya gotta start from the rear and work your way forward!

Being called to supper now, adios!

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Happy Veterans Day to all who have served our country. Thank you for your service. It's 58° and mostly cloudy in this neighborhood. It will peak at 62° in a couple of hours and then whamo! A cold front from the north with 30 mph winds will slam us and drop the temperature to 22° overnight. They have however removed the likelihood of rain from the forecast. Due to the weather, the wife and I decided not to take the three hour journey (each way) to Marshall TX to see 4014.:confused: Her old knee gives her more trouble in the cold. We don't know about the new one yet.
A couple of breakfast burritos this morning Francine. Sausage, egg, potato and cheese with lots of salsa to douse them with.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding yesterday's train shed update; Joe, Chet, Sherrel, Tom, Curt, Phil, Hughie, Ken, Lee, Jerome.

Speaking of the train shed, I did complete the refurbishment of the Woolworth's store. Besides cleaning up and gluing a part back on, I added signs painted on the side wall along with pedestrians and a policeman. These pictures are posed in a well-lit layout section, as the lighting is not good where they go. Another project on my list is to install the under-deck lighting.
11-11-19 001.JPG

11-11-19 002.JPG

The plant shop joined it for the photo-op.
11-11-19 003.JPG

Joe - I have many of the other "Courthouse Square" structures including the courthouse. By the time I purchased any of them, ConCor was the distributor. I do remember the Heljan name on the back of the box as well.
Sherrel - Best of luck with the bean tree.
Ken - Looks like you resolved the dilemma.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 40 and raining and temps dropping like a rock out there. Forecast for snow later this morning, tapering off, but temps in the teens tonight, wind chills in the single digits tomorrow!! Looks like a fireplace night tonight!!

IBKen, Kellyann, Tom, Chad, CCoffran, Garry, Lee, Sherrel, Wheeler, Patrick, Willy, Beady, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes, comments, criticicisms, etc.
Alan - nice haul at the train show.
Kellyann - Welcome to the forum.
Willy - That Woolworth store came out really nice. You going to get any of this wintry blast down your way?
Chet - CLOSE THE SOUTH DOOR!!!

Not much to report from the train room. Busy weekend - did Christmas shopping Saturday (actually MOH did the shopping, I did the driving), then a Teen Challenge fund raising banquet Saturday night, church Sunday morning, then mulched and raked leaves all afternoon. More will come down but we needed to get this first layer out of the way.

I did get barely started on the next structure. I'm working on the LifeLike brand General Store. I already have two of these on the layout, one in each town, as "Al's Market" - bought both of them at train shows. The new one will be slightly altered to be a Bait and Tackle shop, or else a Camping and Fishing shop, which my SIL wants on the layout - I'll name it for him. So I'm experimenting with colors - I may go with my favorite old standby, PolyScale D&RGW Freight Car Red, for the exterior walls. I've used that on other structures, maybe too often, but I like the look of it. Also seeing how the BNSF Heritage Green (also PolyScale) looks for the roof.

BaitAndTackle1.jpg

Will post more as I make progress on this and on the section of the layout south of town.

Have a good day everyone.

Morning from the West where it is 44* and calm heading only up to 80* this afternoon. Flash: Still no snow in sight!
Have to make a run to the A/P down in San Diego to gather the Spousal Unit who is returning from her week back in North Carolina. I have not heard if she has made it onto the second leg of the return - traveling standby-space available these days is becoming harder and harder to do as it seems the flights are always next to overfilling. I will never forget being "stuck" in Athens with the family (5 of us total) and not getting out until the third day! Being left sitting on the curb with three kids and luggage while the flight departs without you is certainly no fun - trying to find rooms and arrange taxi transport - not speaking the language gets trying. Finally, A Captain friend of mine (who liked to bend the rules anyway) told the Station Agent that HE would not depart without US on board; it took him an hour and a threat to go back to the hotel before he made his point! ... Me and one daughter rode the "jumpseats" in the cockpit while wife rode one of the flight attendants seats and the two younger girls squeezed into one passenger seat! Looking back on that now - it seems like "the good old days"; there is no way that that could be done in todays TSA bull crap security world.
Better get the vacuum run around a little and hit the road. Luckily I gassed up the horseless carriage a few days ago.
Need to call the daughter and see if she wants to ride along?

Good Afternoon Everyone....more snow here in Wisconsin with like a dusting of four inches with some blowing.

The RN will be here at 11:00 AM and then lunch and down to the trains. Not as early as I hoped.

Plan on installing the welding unit in the Waupaca Industrial area in the junk yard with it just coming out of the opening in the fence where workers are cutting up a section of a "I" beam. I add three workers and some vegetation around the junk yard fencing. Perhaps a tree or two for effect of a neglected yard. While I'm wiring the welder, I'll add two Woodland Scenics lamp posts to the road area left of the yard. It needs something to brighten up the area. The lamp posts are easy to install if you solder the correct leads together and then install the soldered leads into the sockets.
I wrap the excess leads around a pencil to form a curl of wire ad then tape the wire to the bench work so if I use the lamp posts in the future, the
original leads will be intact and close to their original length.

I was going to wire the welder to a switch on the Control Panel, but that's using 36 feet of wire so I'll just add a switch to the fascia near the yard to save on wire or wire the welder to the LED lighting buss which is controlled at the master panel.

The area between the Interlocking Tower to the right of town needs some vegetation so I'll apply some white glue and spread a mixture of small ground foam, stones and tree stumps to finish the area. It's a little hard to reach but I'll get it done.

Hopefully I end the day and install the decals on the hood of the new 70 Tonner locomotive from Bachmann.

Raincoat2: Very organized paint container rack.

Willie: As always great structures for your layout. The signs on Woolworth's are effective and looked aged. I used to buy comic books and wooded airplane kits at a Woolworth's when I as a kid.

Ken: I like those crossing signals.

The story about that Santa Fe box car in the photo I attached to yesterday's my post is interesting. When I was in Phoenix visiting relatives I went to a hobby shop where the box car was sitting in a display case and I think the marked price was $15.00 for the 50' Santa Fe box car with Kadee couplers, weathered and painted metal wheels. I purchased the car and when the clerk was wrapping it up in its original box he said a guy who originally built the car lived alone in a mobile home out in the desert and he built BB kits and also did added couplers, wheels and weathering. When he started selling them he had at least 3,000 finished BB models, but no layout. This car was the last car left to be sold out of the original 3,000 cars. Most of cars were sold over EBay. That's the story.

Thank you veterans for your service to America.

That's all for now.....

Greg

#######################

Chet's Ore Cars (1).JPG
Ore train passing by the road that leads to a small development near the Pine River yard tracks.-Greg

Last edited:
It's 27°F (average for this date is in the low 50s), and we're having our 1st snow, 3-6" are expected by dark.

The wife and I are slobbing around in our bathrobes, although I plan to get dressed and head down to the basement this afternoon (the bathrobe's sleeves would catch on the rolling stock and other pieces of my layout. Today, I'm going to work on the freight yard, and maybe set up the transition to the 2nd module. I'm a little conflicted about what to do with the 2nd module: things I want to include are bridges, a town and passenger terminal, countryside, Area 51 (you'll see)... I think I'll go with Area 51 1st, and see what else I've got room for. I've been stocking up on supplies for that scenario, and I might as well get it out of my system. But I have to finish the 1st module before I can get into that.

And now, here's a blatantly political picture:

FB_IMG_1548584549282.jpg

Morning all. Overcast and muggy. Predicting a high of 80 and then the same front hitting Willie will arrive here taking us into the low 30's. Should make for some model railroading time over the next 3 days. On the way out the door for some of life's over chores. Later.

Happy Veterans Day to all that served. Thank you for your service. USCG

Morning all! HAPPY VETERANS DAY! Thank you to all of you that have served in the past and are serving presently in our military. Your sacrifice to this great country is much appreciated but not only you but your families and loved ones as well for they jointly sacrificed their lives with you for our country. We can never forget. God Bless you and America!

Well coffee will do straight up black piping hot Flo! I got all my wood splitting this past weekend and got it all stacked covered before this storm comes tonight. Started my first fire in the fireplace Saturday night for the season. The next 3 days it will be single digits each night fall. Old man winter is off to a chilly start!

Jerome....I will be headed down to Asheville NC on the 22nd maybe we can meet some where in the middle? I'll be in a town outside of Asheville place called Etowah. I know we are about 3.5 hrs apart but we shall see. I will be down there until Dec 1st.

I have started moving the things around prepping for my layout start and setting up shop getting all the necessary tools out. I will start posting the progress before long. Ya'll have a good day and week!

Thanks again to all the Veterans and current active duty folks!

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Happy Veterans Day (USN Ret.). Did some items on the wife's Thanksgiving punch list. In the train room I finished the second of three diesel facility platforms. I had to cut 7 more "planks" to finish the project and stained them with A&I and couldn't figure why the color didn't match. After about 10 minutes I realized that I should of used Hunterline Creosoteo_O, so I fixed that stupid mistake. Going out later with the family for a free meal (the best kind).;)

Tex- Looks like a fun time.

Ken- Nice job on both projects.

Willie- Nice looking buildings

Greg- Nice looking ore cars. Is the layout that you show pictures of yours or a club?

20191111_142007-2016x1512.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

I'm back again fellers. Doing some work to the layout today. Well until I hit a wall! Actually I had to work on our dishwasher. I started putting in my tunnel walls. Have put in some newspaper in. I'm not sure how I feel about the newspaper this go around. I've been thinking maybe cardboard strips. I don't know if cardboard strips will give me the flexibility I need though. Also happy veterans day to all of the veterans in here. Also today makes 101 years since the end of world war 1. Too bad it wasnt the war to end all wars like the claim stated. Instead it was a precursor to world war 2. Anyways I hope everyone has a good evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back