Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
. I do have a question. Am I the only one who re-sharpens Exacto blades with a whetstone?

Probably. I just buy the 100 packs of bulk blades. Back in the day bought a bunch of 100 packs from Tower Hobby and still have a few blades left. I'll try it though. I did buy a good whetstone system to sharpen some woodworking tools (planes etc).

This week has been snowy. Monday got about 6", Tuesday some light snow, Wednesday another 6-9" (of very light fluffy, dry snow -- was so easy to shovel), and Thanksgiving we got another inch or so. Today and tomorrow list snow as well. The backyard has way more than a foot I am guessing. The front yard gets the wind down the foothills so often we lose some so harder to tell there.

Amazon Japan sent me a ship notice for the KATO Twighlight Express Mizukaze excursion train by JR West. (N) They ship DHL and it is wicked fast.

https://www.kato-mizukaze.com

Last edited:
Good morning all. I'll just have coffee, still can't quite get the button buttoned. That a feast. It is sort of a pot luck affair and everyone brings their "go to dish". I did get to run a train for great granddaughters and great grandson( 15 month & 5 Yr). Hope everyone enjoyed the holiday and made or makes it home safe. Later

Good morning. Started off at 9 above with light flurries this morning. High is expected to only be in the mid teens with more snow in the forecast. we had around 6 inches of snow yesterday, but it was just light powder snow and a broom is all that was needed to clear off trails to the vehicles.

Now Thanksgiving left overs as we took my daughter and grand kids to a restaurant to eat. My son and daughter in law chose to stay home as my daughter in law, who works at Lowes had to be into work at 0500. We were going to visit relatives in Deer Lodge today, but the roads aren't the best and we have bowling league this evening.

The wife went to town this morning for the weekly grocery trip and she said that things were not busy at all, just like a normal Saturday.

Chad - That is one interesting express train. You'll have to post some photos when you get it.

Willie - Like the wild goose chase. Like Chad, I also buy the blades in 100 bulk packs.

Quiet today. Back to the archives for a photo.

Here's one for Greg, an ore train pulling the two and a half percent grade at the club. The main yard is below.

20180623_200635.jpg

Here's some locomotives in the Gallatin Junction service area.

IMAG0243.jpg

Later

Good Morning All. 44° and very foggy. Had a great Thanksgiving, hope everyone else did as well. But I need to get back to normalcy. On the way home last night, we picked up the other granddog for a few days; now we have both of them here...of course it's been raining for the last two days so every trip back inside is a bitch. We'll deal with this until Sunday when real normalcy returns.

Breakfast biscuits for me this morning. Some extra bacon to take home to the mongrels.

Thanks for the likes and comments yesterday; Tom, Jim, Rick, Phil, Kyle, Chet, Jerome, Bill, Garry, Ray, David.

No time in the train shed yesterday due to the holiday. I do have a question. Am I the only one who re-sharpens Exacto blades with a whetstone?

View attachment 41827
I am tossing that one on the bottom as I finally broke the tip!

Jim & others - Just not too sure how much difference four rail recovery workers make while balanced on a 400,000 pound loco!

I heard that today is Black Friday. I guess that if you go to a retail outlet it is. I stay home and it doesn't bother me.
Everybody have a great day.
Willie, I buy them by the hundreds, i never have resharpened them.

Good morning. Started off at 9 above with light flurries this morning. High is expected to only be in the mid teens with more snow in the forecast. we had around 6 inches of snow yesterday, but it was just light powder snow and a broom is all that was needed to clear off trails to the vehicles.

Now Thanksgiving left overs as we took my daughter and grand kids to a restaurant to eat. My son and daughter in law chose to stay home as my daughter in law, who works at Lowes had to be into work at 0500. We were going to visit relatives in Deer Lodge today, but the roads aren't the best and we have bowling league this evening.

The wife went to town this morning for the weekly grocery trip and she said that things were not busy at all, just like a normal Saturday.

Chad - That is one interesting express train. You'll have to post some photos when you get it.

Willie - Like the wild goose chase. Like Chad, I also buy the blades in 100 bulk packs.

Quiet today. Back to the archives for a photo.

Here's one for Greg, an ore train pulling the two and a half percent grade at the club. The main yard is below.

View attachment 41828

Here's some locomotives in the Gallatin Junction service area.

View attachment 41829

Later
Haven't seen that shot of the loco depot before, Chet. That's a great angle. Hope those switchers are well tied down.

I went to Petsmart and Big Lots this evening to pick up some things we needed. Both places were nearly empty of customers.

Stayed home and had nothing to do with the Black Friday nonsense. Did some catch up work getting some new rolling stock ready for service. Before I weather, I paint the trucks and wheelsets with weathered black, and the couplers with dark rust. It really changes the look of the model. After that I shoot a coat of flat or Dullcoat, then weather. I've also taken to removing the Kadee trip pins. Check out the differences:
Painted vs unpainted trucks:

IMG_2538.JPG

Out of the box Intermountain reefer vs a light airbrush weathering:

IMG_2542.JPG

Dark rust on the couplers vs unfinished:

IMG_2540.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back