Running Bear’s August 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Kato is it? I bought an HO NS SD80MAC from Klein's, Fully assembled by Kobe shop's w/sound and then later, another DCC ready, 'cause I felt it would be lonely. It came like that too. What a nightmare putting on all the grabs etc. Exacerbated by the fact they are all plastic and twisted about all over the place, getting them into their holes (at least they were drilled). It has been sitting in a plastic container now for months, awaiting spraying with dullcote to make it prototypical, all in bits. I think the Kobe shop's one can stay shiny and represent one of NS's rebuilt ones, even if they have had new, different cabs etc, retrofitted since.
This one is a Fox Valley Models version. Runs well, looks good, by holy crap with all those parts to add on...

Good morning .

I'll be brief this morning .... As we have done on most Sundays this year, we attend church, and then drive to Nashville to visit family members. Shelley's Mom continues to be in a nursing home, and that is not improving. Our brother-in-law there has been in the hospital with heart disease, and we hope to see him. The rest of the Nashville family is doing well.

Willie .... You did a great job with the market. Lots of detail. ...

Durn y' Chet. This was his initiation test. Now y' gon'in gone 'n spoiled it.

Toot ..... LOL

Everybody ..... Have a good Sunday.

35704475240_06d4cfec73_b.jpg

Willie - Glad to hear of Arlene's progress. Is she still taking any pain meds?
The two-story bank building you put up reminds me so much of the small town where I grew up - had two like that!
None now ..... I think the drug dealers have taken over the bank business?

Very pretty picture, Garry! Prayers for all family members!

TOM -- failed to mention how much I liked the bridge photos you posted. Amazing the structures they used to build!
That tall one Tony used to mention - BTW - Where - What ... happened to Tony???

He finally checked in yesterday over at Nscale.net after a 7 or so months hiatus, here is his explanation for his absence in the last couple of posts on the last page. I imagine he will check in here as well soon.

https://www.nscale.net/forums/showt...ound-Micro-Direct-Install&p=565827#post565827

Louis, I spent several years dealing with tires, the last was in 2006 as district safety director for a tire manufacturer whose owner was great friends with Henry Ford and Thomas Edison. I agree that PC's equipment looked good when it was clean, though the only time that seemed to happen was right out of the factory. I have an N scale model of NS 1073 that I got at a great price from my LHS. I got it home, decoder install was a breeze, and I plopped it on my test track to run for a while. Then, I noticed a little baggie nestled in a corner of the box. I discovered that in that baggie were all the handrails and grab irons to be installed in the engine. Oh, and I need to drill the holes to install them. I had a tough enough time doing this on my HO stuff, so I think I'll just install the cab sunshades on it, and call it a day...View attachment 38883
Terry, I worked for Firestone in the commercial tire store in Baltimore. My time with Firestone ended when Bridgestone bought them out and sold the commercial tire stores. Firestone was the very best company I ever worked for. We had well paid union hourly workers and even better paid salesmen and managers. The store was a profit machine. From what I was told Bridgestone had to sell the commercial tire stores to quickly generate cash after buying Firestone.

I probably would have retired with Firestone had they not sold the store. It turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me. After leaving Firestone I went into business for myself. My second year working for myself I made more money than I had in all my previous years working combined.

That's a nice looking locomotive. If I remember correctly I bought a Penn Central HO locomotive from you. I'm going to have a lot of fun and a few surprises when I finally get to unpacking all my train stuff.

I have a few N scale locomotives and rolling stock. I've struggled to get them on the rails. I could not imagine doing anything as intricate as drilling and installing hand rails on a N-scale locomotive.

Now, just a very short while ago I told a couple of fellows on here I wasn't going to be buying any more Locos and concentrating on getting sound decoders for the ones I have now. OK, I have now got enough for most of them, with only a couple, not really fitting into my main interest, that haven't, but which I got before that happened.
But. I have, as I have just done, bought another MRL loco and partially justified that by the fact it had DCC/sound fitted from local seller. The same seller has now listed within the last 2 days, an Athearn DCC ready with NCE DCC decoder, SD40-2XR, that I don't have. Auction ends on the 31st. I have 5 SD40's including the only genuine SD40-2 MRL owns #250. I really don't need another and can't really justify it. But, it is here in Aus and the shipping like the other is only $20, rather than the $70-80 from the US.

To add to my anguish, on US ebay, there have been also recently listed, 4 Genesis MRL SD70ACe's by the same seller over there. Oddly, 3 by auction and 1 by BIN. 3 are from the 2nd run produced, that I didn't buy from and 1 that I have, from the 1st run. Oddly, the BIN (2nd run) is used, but priced very near what they were new at MBK on release. The ones on auction are 2 used and 1 'new'. That one is not as high in the bidding. (maybe it's the 13 in the number). I would be breaking my promise to myself, to not buy anything over what I can pay off in the interest free period of my 'plastic'. They do all have Tsunami (1st edition) sound in them, as do all my other Genesis ACe's, though. I really can't justify it, but.

King Toot, I know how you feel. I vowed not to buy any more train stuff until I get organized and I honestly ment it! I have done much better, but I still buy train stuff. The only way I know of to prevent me buying from eBay is to avoid eBay all together. I should block emails from coming in from Lionel and others, but I can't bring myself to do it.

King Toot, I know how you feel. I vowed not to buy any more train stuff until I get organized and I honestly ment it! I have done much better, but I still buy train stuff. The only way I know of to prevent me buying from eBay is to avoid eBay all together. I should block emails from coming in from Lionel and others, but I can't bring myself to do it.
We need help Louis, got'ta find some more money.

Very pretty picture, Garry! Prayers for all family members!

TOM -- failed to mention how much I liked the bridge photos you posted. Amazing the structures they used to build!
That tall one Tony used to mention - BTW - Where - What ... happened to Tony???
I was wondering the same thing myself about Tony. Came back after a long hiatus and disappeared again, just as suddenly.

Got some of these LED's from We_Honest coming, says they are 2mm, but couldn't absolutely confirm if that referred to the diameter of the extension. Answer I got was they were 3mm x 2mm
1566776179428.png

1566776480664.png

They have a flat end, but the extension may make them suitable to poke through the head light holes in many models e.g Athearn in pairs because if they are similar to the 1.8mm ones I have already (shorter with domed end)
1566776680588.png

The base is rectangular and when put side to side against the longest faces are pretty much spaced as headlights are in the models. These short ones would need either accessory lens to be fitted, or very short optic fiber fillers to be cut (virtually impossible). The ends could be filed off to make them flat, there is enough plastic cover over the electronics. Note in this example that the 1K resistor is on the positive side when wiring in.

Good for them, Louis; They have had a rough time this year. I think the Padres might give them some competition?
MLB should have a playoff to see who is the team with the worst record?

Good morning Everybody,

Its only 62 in southeast Baltimore, but the humidity has returned. I'll close the windows and put the A/C back on later today. It was nice while it lasted.

I can see my water bill online! Some of you may remember that Baltimore was attacked by ransomware. The good news is the city never gave in and solved this problem without paying the scumbags. It cost a lot of money to fix it, but at least the scumbags did not get any. I'm pleasantly surprised to find my 4 month water bill (4/8-8/7) is only $408.59 and that includes filling my swimming pool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back