Running Bear’s August 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
While out today, doing a trip to the dump (forgot to put the rubbish out for collection), a bit of shopping for some fruit, and looking for some glue, there was a '69 Pontiac 4 h/light Firebird Transam came into the carpark (rumble rumble), big wheels and LHD. Later in another carpark (still glue hunting) there was an early '70's Corvette Stingray, parked up (Silver top, black lower). We get some nice 'gear' here in Caboolture, because of the well patronized car club.
The glue I was after was one I hadn't noticed before, by Selleys. A CA with rubber reinforcement. "Impact & Shock Resistant" in a 3ml (0.101 fl.oz.) squeeze tube. Part of their Fix& Go Supa Glue range.. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and have been using it on several small jobs on plastic. Seems to hold really well, better than most of the thin liquid ones I've otherwise used. It's similar in that regard, but more tacky. Sets quickly and will flow along a joint. Forms a drop on the end of a wire. Was "On 1/2 price special $3.30" at one of the grocery store groups, so I went round the 4 in my area and managed to get 4 tubes, 3 at one and 1 at another. Hope it's not going to be discontinued.

Good morning Everybody!

Miss me? ;) It's very warm and humid in southeast Baltimore. The weather man said our record setting high temperature of 99 was the highest in the nation yesterday, it sure felt like it!

All is and has been well here in southeast Baltimore. I have been busy is all. Even though I have all but retired I still get the occasional call from former customers. I'm not adverse to a quick buy/sell transaction. I don't float credit anymore and that really slows business. Even though my health has stabilized it's already eaten up nearly half of my safety net. I won't risk or go into the rest, if I don't have to, unless it comes in a Lionel box! :)

How has everybody been doing?

I'll try and catch up with all I have missed. In truth I will probably only skim through, mostly looking at the pictures, if I find time to do that, forgive me.

I may be AWOL from time to time, but I always keep my train buddies in my thoughts and prayers. God Bless You All!

I won't bring up anything controversial. Sometimes I feel like I'm preaching to the choir, other times I feel like a heretic trying to convince the Pope. At least I have not been burned at the stake, yet. ;) Rather then to stir-up any more controversy I'll leave it at that.
Have a great day Everybody!

That song reminded me of this one.
I can still see my oldest daughter singing and dancing to this song as best she could in her car seat in the back seat of my GMC 4-door utility body service truck.

Memories are our real treasures.

Here is another one she really liked when she was very little. As soon as that girl heard music she started dancing.

Her is one I really like!
What can I say? It came up automatically after the other one finished. Ok, it's the last one for now. ;)

I know I said that would be the last one, but then I found this one and I had to share it!

Who says old guys can't rock?!
"Well I've seen the truth, yes I've seen the light and I've changed my ways"

My grandson on vacation, Deep Creek, MD
1566297773562.png

1566297808230.png

Good morning everyone. 74 and humid out there. Some rain relief coming later this week. Time for coffee and a doughnut, Flo. Nothing like a cup of coffee while watching Foghorn Leghorn cartoons. Thanks for posting, Louis.

Willie, Ken, Justin, Garry, Wheeler, Sherrel, Patrick, Flip, Chad, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for your likes and comments on the updated and improved lake/recreation area photos I posted yesterday. I'm pretty much satisfied with the way it looks, but you never know - - there's always room for improvement ;)

Not much to report from the train room. Last night was a "down" night - just sat around and watched some TV (very rare for me), read some, and worked a bit on scenery on the layout. Making a sign to direct travelers to Prospect Lake, which is what I'll call that lake/recreation area. It's based on Prospect Mountain, a mountain in the Lake George region of upstate NY that my dad and I climbed many years ago. On my layout, there are many buildings. businesses, names, etc., that are from my youth growing up in NY. The lake is one of them.

Took one photo last night, of the NYC steamer coming into the Pine Valley station. I use the steamer exclusively for passenger pulls. Just noticed I never made a "Pine Valley" sign for the station. Got that on my to-do list.
SteamerAndStation_8_19.jpg

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 77° and clear. Yep Louis! Your temperature yesterday beat ours of 98°, weatherman is still predicting 100° for the next three days, but has been wrong for the last three weeks. Cool front predicted in another nine days, Thursday August 29, with a high of only 91°. Still enjoying the pool which has maintained a very pleasant temperature of 84°-85° despite the warm days. Longer nights allow for more cool-down. Physical therapist measured my wife yesterday and proclaimed 98% movement has been regained in her replacement knee. While she is using the cane, I really believe that she could throw it aside if she wanted.
Huevos rancheros for me this morning Flo, since I see Juan is filling in for Mel this morning.

Thanks for all of the comments and likes yesterday; Patrick, Phil, Johnny, Chad, Sherrel, Jerome, Garry, Justin, Ken.

Still working on painting details out in the train shed. Added a sidewalk to the Fresh Market and installed the overhead sign and details. I also added the first two figures to the scene.
08-20-19 001.JPG

Still a long way to go, more details on the workbench including some that didn't come with the kit, more figures (none included), and the windows once the correct ones arrive from WS.

Johnny - Nice updating on the lake scene. You're getting a lot of action in there.
Patrick - Regarding those old kits, they most likely came from an estate. I have seen a few pictures of estate sales that would make a hobby shop owner drool. Some of these guys had thousands of kits. Those IHC kit sets of five structures each (Yesterday and Today) are rather nice. I have one of the sets that you pictured the other day and two from another. I should post some of those pictures some day. I split them up and have them in various places, to avoid some monotony.
Regarding painting your structures, almost anything works. I generally primer everything with some cheapo white or gray primer from Walmart. Sometimes I follow up with one of several brick colors from Krylon or Model Master, there are many others as well. In some cases I entirely brush paint after priming, with acrylics from Model Master, Badger, Testors (lots more) or my now very old stash of Polly Scale. Same with details, Polly Scale is my favorite but they were discontinued in 2013 after Testors bought them out. When using acrylics on cardstock or wood kits, it's real important to prime both sides before painting, and it's also a good idea to brace the walls as well.
All Atlas switches regardless of brass or NS are interchangeable with like Atlas models.
Mike - Nice job on the drywall.
Greg - Sorry to read about the fill valve. Good luck.
Beady - That's not me, he doesn't have a beard.
Ken - Sorry to read of the minor setbacks, get well soon.

Everybody have a great day.

Last edited:
Got a reply from the SD35 seller, says because he's got 3 watchers on it, he'll let it run, which is OK with me, ebay confirms the other 2. So, I've bunged me top bid on it already, enough to make opponents wonder where it might be if they test the waters early. I thought it ended on the 24th, but apparently it's the 25th, which is actually better for me, so I can watch the count down. Club day on the 24th. With a little effort, I should have #703 done before then. Hope I can get the weathering right, not too heavy.

Good morning ..... Coffee and a donut, please.

Louis .... Good to see your grandson is being properly "trained" ... Good to see you too.

Johnny ...... Your depot looks great.

Willie .... The "Fresh Market" building looks good.

Toot .... I hope you win the bid for the SD35.

40515085125_8089264bf3_h.jpg

Good Morning Train Fans.................overcast and humid in this part of Wisconsin.

Replaced the fill valve yesterday and it took less than 15 minutes. Nice when everything goes correctly. Today's project is some watering when the Mrs. finishes cutting the front lawn. Then some lunch and then train time....I hope.

Tomorrow travel to the cabin for a pontoon ride on Thursday around one of the area lakes that been a favorite retreat since the 1920's and many of the cabins remain from that era and are in great condition. One compound hosted stars like Forest Tucker, Red Skeleton, Farah Facwcett and Micheal Jackson to name a few. They would party and go to a local dive bar and party relatively unnoticed. Our tour guide and pontoon Captain has lived on the lake for over 60 years. Most of the homes and cabins can be seen only by water.

Garry: Nice photo of the Santa Fe locomotive consist.

Better get to my watering.

Maybe later......

Greg

##################

Last edited:
In my particular case, the brass are all Atlas custom line or snap. While I have received some Tyco\Bachmann and other track in the auctions, I am sticking to to the Atlas code 100 in either. I think a #6 custom or snap would be identical in either case. Thanks for the input in either case.
Hi Patrick,

late to the party on this but I had purchased some "antique" brass atlass turnouts with the fibre ties and one thing I thought they looked very realistic.

Didn't have a problem with conductivity. However, the frog was not what I was used to and required a different routine for wiring

Dave

Good morning,

Now replying on the work computer as my personal one crashed yesterday. It is a Panasonic CF-31 toughbook that will not come out of hibernate, that is Windows will not load. Any easy fixes out there?????

Thanks for the comments on the Minnesota Commercial pics

This computer has a very fine resolution and the pics are fantastic,

Garry-- very nice SF locomotive shot

Johnny-- nice depot scene

Willie-- I really like the icebox in the scene!!

I need to get a card reader before I can post any more photos.

more later, Dave

Dave, push and hold the power button until it turns off completely, then reboot it.
If it still won’t boot, push the power button and push f2, esc, or f10, depending on the computer, to launch into safe mode, then turn off the hibernation option.

Have to correct my spell check...its changing words after I've typed them and miss misspells words. I'm the worst speller and really need spell check.

My household jobs are all done including one unexpected one. The Mrs. purchased a new grill from a big box store and if I've seen a floor model at the store I would of said a complete "Forget It". The way it's assembled is not logical and parts can simply fall off as they have done so far with only one use. I needed to reassemble the ash catcher and reattach the part that holds the catcher back in place.

Next week I'm planning a rail fanning day with stops in Sussex along the CN north/south main, a stop in Sussex near the quarry that the guys did a video for MRVideoPlus with Drew's Trackside Adventures, lunch in Du Plainville at the diamond where the CN and CP meet (WSOR has trackage rights as well) and then the Union Pacific yard in Butler Wisconsin hopefully see some switching action.

Saw some power pickup trucks in I think MicroMark's recent catalog. Under $22 for a pair. I need some for a couple of cabooses that will be part of my fan train pulled by a 0-8-0 steamer. I would like light rear marker lights for the cabooses.

bnsf971: Good advice on the reboot for Dave and his computer problem.

I have to go shopping for a lap top for the Mrs. she would like her own and something simple.

That's all for now.

Greg

#####################

IMG_0338 (1).JPG
Crane working from the spur at the Omro Metal and Scape Company. -Greg

Last edited:
Just curious: How many here are aware of the movie The Station Agent? Peter Dinklage's breakout, it's not directly related to railroading, but trains form the film's backdrop. If you haven't seen it, it's a good movie. It was my first encounter with Dinklage's acting and I was on the lookout for him ever since; he and Sean Bean were actually the main reason I began watching Game of Thrones.

Good afternoon. It has been a while. When I got back from the club last Thursday, we got a call from relatives in Indiana saying that they would be visiting for a few days. Was out playing tour guide again. Enjoyed seeing them as it has been a while. We usually enjoy taking out road trips but haven't done so for a few years with all of the remodeling and then with my shoulder operation.

Patrick
- I heartily agree with others who recommended NS track. The oxidation that will occur with brass track will act as an insulator whereas the oxidation on NS track does not, that's why brass track needs so much cleaning, nit that NS track doesn't. NS needs cleaning more for dust. When I started my HO layout, I was so happy to get away from the over size track of N scale and started laying my own code 70 track and turnouts. There were almost no manufacturers that made and code 70 turnouts and flex track until Shinohara came out with their line. Glad the did because my spike gun died. After the first couple of turnouts, it was easy to build them. Didn't have a lot of $$$ back then.

Louis - Nice vacation photos with your grandson.

Johnny
- Good looking station. Lots of details.

Willie - Like the Fresh Market. - Have one also. It is a nice building. Didn't have much room in the area available for this small town and it fit right in.

thumbnail_20190113_121750.jpg

Garry
- That Santa Fe locomotive sure is nice.

Greg
- Nice to have the valve fixed. Wish I could get my wife to mow the lawn. I wouldn't even broach the subject. Like the photo also.

Chad - Really enjoyed all of the photos you posted during your trip. I am guessing that you are glad to finally be back home.

Last week at the club it was extremely busy again. I started out with just the F-7A unit but appropriated a B unit when anouther member showed up.

thumbnail_20190815_140201.jpg thumbnail_20190815_154707.jpg

I did have y train cut in half at the diamond in the hidden tracks. Someone was busy BS-ing instead of watching the signals. He has to crawl under the layout and put everything in order. When he was finally done he was shining like he had been harpooned. Bet he watches the signals better.

With all of the visitors my lawn did turn into a hay field. Took an entire day to mow and run the lawn sweeper over the lawn and then found that the voltage regulator on the tractor crapped out.

Got a call from the wife late yesterday afternoon. She was sitting on the side of the road with the right front tire on her car shot. I had given her the tire brand and size to call the shop where we have some work done on our vehicles if needed and she just kept putting it off. She waited for an hour and a half in almost 90 degree temps for the USAA road service to show up. Went to town today with the stupid mini spare on the front and it would have been until the end of the week to get the tires I wanted.Tried to find a used tire to put on until what I wanted came in but no one had any. Ended up finding some really nice all season tires with an aggressive tread for winter. Cost $30 more a tire but now she has her car back.

Have to move the rain birds.

Later

Good morning ..... Coffee and a donut, please.

Louis .... Good to see your grandson is being properly "trained" ... Good to see you too.

Johnny ...... Your depot looks great.

Willie .... The "Fresh Market" building looks good.

Toot .... I hope you win the bid for the SD35.

40515085125_8089264bf3_h.jpg
Thanks Garry for the good wishes. Any action, is usually all in the last 15 minutes. I won't move again, if at all, till the last 10 seconds. Marvellous rock work in that scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back