Rolling stock why do I have these?

are they even worth keeping that vermont car had to look at again it's a ROCO made in austria it's shorter in height then a athearn car
I collect all things "sugar" related so the Jack Frost would get a bath and then plop right into my collection. Box cars came in all heights. Any car can be converted into a usable piece of rolling stock. Just depends on how much effort and creativity one wants to invest.

I collect all things "sugar" related so the Jack Frost would get a bath and then plop right into my collection. Box cars came in all heights. Any car can be converted into a usable piece of rolling stock. Just depends on how much effort and creativity one wants to invest.
You say add to your collection but will it get used It's all ready in a collection in a box
and that vermont car I have the athearn one different number and taller still it looks good to me

So sugar cars
DSC_0127.JPG

A little over a year ago I spotted a posting on a forum where a Vet was asking about trains to help get another Iraq veteran friend of his started in the hobby. This other gentleman was also severely handicapped, and suffered from some depression. I sent them off a pack of older stuff I had,...trains, track, turnouts etc. I was really happy knowing I was going to contribute to his well being.

Unfortunately he committed suicide before the pkg arrived. I told the other vet to go ahead and keep it, perhaps he would find another vet to help, or give it to.

Might be a consideration,...donate to a vet?

You say add to your collection but will it get used?
Depends on the definition of "used". I have hopes that all of my stuff will someday be used on an active layout, or in an educational display at the museum or some another exhibition. I have several display cases that get changed out every six months. I've done the: "History of E units", "History of Santa Fe War Bonnets", "Identification of Alco Diesels", "Trains of Hudson Kansas", "Evolution of the Railroad Locomotive", etc.

As for Holly Sugar, my grandparents farm was just a few miles south east of Holly Colorado, and my Uncle's farm was right on the Santa Fe main line 7 mile or so to the west in Granada. As a child I remember the piles of sugar beats piled all along the rails to be loaded and headed to Holly. I intend to have at least one sugar processing plant on my layout.

I remember seeing the piles of beets in the late 70's and early 80's when I'd drive to Denver along I-70. It's sad they don't do beets out there anymore.

"Fortunately" my Grashhook, Galesburg & Western Division of the Burlington Route has a farmer who raises sugar beets (prior to 1960). He loads them into an open hopper which heads west to the Great Western sugar processing plant not far from Denver. Hoppers are unloaded at the plant and converted to various products, requiring at least one tank car, a couple of box cars (for bags of sugar), and a couple of covered hoppers. I don't do much switching, but the various cars look good on their appropriate sidings. The "sugar beets" are actually grains of white rice, dyed light brown. One problem in "shipping" the finished products from the plant is that I don't have any place on the layout. So, the shipments go, "off-site" to other markets. ;)
Yeah, I don't see those piles of real beets along I-25 anymore.

Back