Road Across the Track

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
I finished the electronics for this grade crossing. Now, I need to make the crossing easier for vehicle traffic.
I made the dirt road using Woodland scenics plaster with earth tone paint mixed in.
I checked quite a few places for the actual planks that go between the rails and between the tracks. Nothing out there that would have the slight curve. Closest thing would be 22" radii.
I went to Hobby Lobby today and bought a few packets of the 1/16" X 1/4" wood strips. For the planks on the outside of the track I had to trim a slight curve into them and bevel the bottom side to clear the molded spikes on the ties. I used CA glue to secure it. Between the rails I used loose rail for the rail guides and CA glued them to the ties.

20230220_184905.jpg

I'm building up the ballast between the tracks to support the planks there. When the planks are in place I'll stain them light brown then scuff them up with tire marks.

At first I thought the bent rails are a good idea but now thinking they may get in the way of your filler wood. I usually use the wood in there and bevel it correctly, finish it off as you suggested with the tire skuf and stain.

In my new layout I poured some hydrocal in there (it will be finished off to look like dirt) as the scene I am modelling had the top of the rail at the road level and just roadbuilding material (class 5 gravel) between the rails. I cleaned out the hydrocal where the wheels go with an exacto knife. I tried protecting the inside of the rails with string and tape but that was a flop.

Dave LASM

I don't think dirt is a good idea for between the rails. First rain comes along and it turns into mud and cars wouldn't be able to climb the rails to get across.
maybe not the greatest idea, but here it is in 1948. Rails at road grade so no climbing. This scene being modeled on my layout, nearly done.

This is US Highway 61, by the way. In your era, I think it would be those rubber bumpers.

dirt crossing.png

Photo from Northern Pacific Railway Historical Society

Dave

Back