Rivet Counter N scale locos

N scale rivet counters? Can you actually see the rivets?

If you go to the link that Paul provides and click each picture to enlarge it, then hover the pointer over that image, yes you can see the rivets. Somewhat out of focus, certainly. Also reveals stuff that's not so attractive though, but which you would only see with the eyes (or your normal glasses) with the aid of further magnification anyway. I can say that their HO stuff in this range (rivetcounter) is superior to anything put out by anyone else. e.g. Genesis, Proto 2000.

I keep looking at their loco, and really like it. Apparently if you want DCC you have to get it with EUC LokSound DCC with sound. You can get it DCC ready, but to take advantage of all it's capabilities, you have to use the EUC decoder. It's cheaper to go with the Kato with DCC and no sound. I have one loco with sound and figured that would be enough, otherwise I guess I'd spring for the $204 for the Rivet Counter. I dunno, I'll sit tight for awhile and see. The locos are pre-order anyway, so not in stock.

I keep looking at their loco, and really like it. Apparently if you want DCC you have to get it with EUC LokSound DCC with sound. You can get it DCC ready, but to take advantage of all it's capabilities, you have to use the EUC decoder. It's cheaper to go with the Kato with DCC and no sound. I have one loco with sound and figured that would be enough, otherwise I guess I'd spring for the $204 for the Rivet Counter. I dunno, I'll sit tight for awhile and see. The locos are pre-order anyway, so not in stock.

It's all going to depend on if you like sound. If you don't, you'll sell the one that has. If you do, one will never be enough.

I have never heard of them but if the specs list is correct along with the advertised price ($204) they'd be worth taking a closer look at.

Those couplers look bigger than the normal couplers, I suppose they work with others tho. Nothing is said about them except that they are "semi scale".

I've about, but not quite convinced myself to get in on the pre order for one of these. They look like beautiful locos, and I'd really like one. Never was one for dealing with pre orders, but just might make an exception in this case. Won't be charged for it till it ships to me sometime this winter, which is fine with me as I'm in no hurry, and it just might be worth the wait. In the meantime, hopefully I will have learned how to set a DCC loco up, do speed matching and all that.

Paul,

If you do decide to go ahead with the order, let us know how long it takes for you to get it and how well it runs. At the moment, having to "pre-order" with them is the biggest turn off to buying one.

After checking their website, I see the current pre-order ended 7/17/ of this year. The next ones coming are in the spring. I'll probably just go with a Kato w/o sound. There certainly isn't an abundance of these engines out there.

After checking their website, I see the current pre-order ended 7/17/ of this year. The next ones coming are in the spring. I'll probably just go with a Kato w/o sound. There certainly isn't an abundance of these engines out there.

Perhaps that is a sign then Paul. If the only way to buy their engines is via a "pre order" and they are NOT something absolutely amazing or without currently available competition then it is no wonder there are not many of them around.

I can vouch for the Kato engines, they are very good in all respects and (in my opinion) reasonably priced. The Kato's I just converted from DC to DCC only cost me in the vicinity of $75 plus the cost of the decoder which was about $40 I think. I have ended up with 3 very nice Kato DCC engines for around $120 - 130 each.

Kato also do make engines with sound; however, from what I can gather, they are custom made from order to order and not an "in stock item" so to speak. They say the turn around time for them is about 2 weeks. If you wanted sound, 2 weeks is better than 6 months though :)

Nope, not compared to 6 months it isn't, especially if your not in a hurry. I think they use ESU Loksound decoders as well, so you'll get the best there is, sound wise.

Just refreshed my memory with regards the engine you asked about initially. Don't think you'll get that exact engine in a Kato but their GE ES44AC (the ones I have) are very good and possibly close to what your looking for. MTS has them at the moment for $160 with TCS decoders installed. You can probably add another $100 for the sound I would think.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Kato-N-176-8929-1-GE-ES44AC-GEVO-CSX-p/kat-1768929-1.htm

Just an example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony, do these ship with the small items like mirrors, sun shades ect, ect, separate to be installed by the buyer(me)?

Paul,

Sorry I didn't get back re your question but if I remember correctly the answer is no. I don't recall having to add anything with mine or having other parts in the box. So, out of the box and onto the track.

That's a nice looking engine you ordered and definitely a good price. Periodically we see a BSNF go past us so might have to follow suite and get the same engine at some point. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it and hope you like them.

Just drove the last spike in the outer oval, so now I can clean things up some, run wire to the track so I can start fiddling with the DCC box and get something running.

Found this and was wondering if anyone owns any of their locos?
I operate with several people who own and run the ScaleTrains HO models. In HO there is the rivet counter series and the museum series. Both appear to be exquisite models. One fellow didn't like the way they programmed some of the DCC accessories in the "big blow" model, but that is the only complaint I've heard about them.

Back