Reversing Loop Controllers

taholmes

HI Folks:

Due to my layout design, I will end up with 3 reversing loops -- 2 are currently in existence, and right now I am using DPDT toggle switches to control them -- they work, but ANNOYING. I know there are automatic units out there from many manufacturers. Im not asking whats out there, I am asking for RECOMMENDATIONS as to which ones you like and think work best.

I am running N scale, hopefully eventually 2 - 3 trains at a time, some with 2 -3 locomotives at a time, I am currently using a NCE Powercab, which I hope to upgrade to an SB5 soon and eventually radio control

Thanks for your input

TIM
San Luis and Rio Grande

I don’t know if it’s the best. I used a Digitrax AR-1 on my N Scale layout. It did what I needed it to do. It was inexpensive, and others on the forum I was on at the time had experience with them. If I recall correctly, the directions were easy to follow to install.

As you know there are a lot of options, but it was like choosing a dcc system, I flipped coin, and was satisfied with it.

Like migalyto said, there are more choices than there is time to evaluate. I've not been picky. I'm guessing I am using at least 4 different brands.

The DCC Specialties "PSX-ARFB Power Shield Auto Reverser" is all solid state so it switches virtually instantaneously. Cheaper units such as the MRC "Auto Reverse Module" have a physical relay to change the power polarity so they can only switch as fast as the mechanical arms can move.

Like migalyto said, there are more choices than there is time to evaluate. I've not been picky. I'm guessing I am using at least 4 different brands.

The DCC Specialties "PSX-ARFB Power Shield Auto Reverser" is all solid state so it switches virtually instantaneously. Cheaper units such as the MRC "Auto Reverse Module" have a physical relay to change the power polarity so they can only switch as fast as the mechanical arms can move.
I've always been a little curious about how a 'stay alive' module performs with ANY auto-reverse module. Seems to me there would be a serious conflict in the cap discharge when it encounters a reverse polarity...

Here's a video of a guy comparing Auto-Reversing units. Might be worth a watch?

Personally, I only have one on my layout, and it is the AR-1. I'm pretty happy with it.

Back