reverce loop, auto-revercing section idea

tankist

i'm still quite some time away from wiring but i will get there eventually. i read up quite a bit on the topic and already got me a MRC autoreverser . i understand the wiring and i understand that the section needs to be longer then any train. however i couldn't find absolute positive YES to the situation of train travercing the reversing section joint and requiring polarity switch while another operates in said section already. that meant i wasn't sure if to make the yard reversing and risk fright train entering and disrupting the switcher. or if the main layout should have been reversing and risk second freight train enetring as the other is still in or departing. while the answer is probably yes i am planning for the worst.

so i thought to make both the yard and the main loop non reversing and only reverse either the climb line or the descent line (see attached). this limits me to 6 car train (so not to exceed the stretch) but it will work since pulling more then this up my extreme slope is not going to work anyways. having the blue line reverse will allow yard work and train departing while another one climbs. the only limitation would be 2 trains climbing one after another.

your input? am i overthinking it?

You could extend the red section further down between the two turnouts. That would put the two spurs into the reversing section which would probably be a good idea anyway. It would make the reversing segment at least one car length longer.

Jon, question is about DCC hence the "auto" in the "auto-reversing" :)
i read you topic and it did clarify couple things however i don't intend on having 2 AR sections controlled.

thanks GD. that does make sense.
in order to shove cars and do any work in those 2 spurs engine will need to cross into AR section anyways so on one hand it might as well just stay there and keep working on that section. however switcher working the yard might cross into AR section as well (as it is kinda a yard lead as well) and that will require a polarity change to prevent short. will the bottom loco be ok with this sudden polarity change? again we Not talking 2 locos traversing at the same time. i am 99% sure the answer is yes...

again, it is probably not such an issue as i'm making it to be, there is not much to "work " on those two small spurs and chances switching will happen at the same time at the top section is slim to none.

Any loco in the reverse loop will be fine with the polarity change, provided that is is not crossing the other end of the loop at the same time as one entering. This WILL cause a short. So if you had the yard leads in the reversing section, and a locomotive was in this area as another train came into the loop, both locos will continue as normal. With decoders, the engines don't mind about polarity changes like DC engines do. I am currently building a similar situation, and have no problems.

Back