Returned my Digitrax Zephyr DCS52.

Brakeman Hal

I don't need a DCC controller with only 1 engine on the layout at a time, and no sidings or switches.

The Digitrax was not compatible with the DCS decoders on board my MTH Steamer and Diesel, so I'll stick with DCS which serves me better.

I don't need to program any CV's, because DCS has everything I want on the controller at the push of a key, and the sound volume can be regulated by repeatedly pushing the sound level button. without resorting to changing the value of a CV.

YOWZAH!
Brakeman Hal

Last edited:
That's nice for you, I wonder; however, if you already had a MTH DCS system, why you would have thought you needed a DCC system in the first place, Hal? I would have thought MTH's DCS system would have been all you needed! My Digitrax DCS 52 Zephyr Express works wonderfully for me and It works with all the different DCC Decoders there are on the market.

You have made a choice, similar to the choice I made. Yours limits you to MTH products, mine allows me to use whatever and whoever's DCC system I choose!

Forgive the impertinent questions, but whats a DCS system and how does it differ from DCC? (asking cuz I don't know, I mean, for a friend... :p )

Z

Forgive the impertinent questions, but whats a DCS system and how does it differ from DCC? (asking cuz I don't know, I mean, for a friend... :p )

Z
DCS is MTH's proprietary version of DCC. When used with MTH's proprietary sound decoders, it allows you to do a lot of things with your MTH equipment you would not be able to do with a DCC system. Unfortunately, you can't use any normal DCC equipment with their system, and MTH doesn't sell their decoders separately. so you are limited to what MTH releases.

I ordered a DCC controller because my DCS unit (shown) became inoperative. With 19 VAC going in, nothing was coming out to feed my track.

I intend to send it back to MTH for a repair. It sounds like the rectifier failed.

While the MTH DCS Commander is being repaired, I'll use my 50-year-old MRC DC controller (shown), which has never failed me! It was also made in the USA, which has something to do with its reliability!

Yup yup yup!
Hal
002.JPG
51gh9h1V5BL._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg

Last edited:
That's nice for you, I wonder; however, if you already had a MTH DCS system, why you would have thought you needed a DCC system in the first place, Hal? I would have thought MTH's DCS system would have been all you needed! My Digitrax DCS 52 Zephyr Express works wonderfully for me and It works with all the different DCC Decoders there are on the market.

You have made a choice, similar to the choice I made. Yours limits you to MTH products, mine allows me to use whatever and whoever's DCC system I choose!

Gosh...what a guy!:D
Hal

I can't speak for him (we have had 'issues'), but I don't believe that NP2626 intended to come across as judgemental or dismissive. He asks why DCC at all if you already had the 'Cadillac?' I think he also assumed, perhaps mistakenly, that the OP was not aware of the disparities between DCC and DCS, and wondered why he would not want a DCC system to run about 90% of all digital locomotives sold in HO.

No offense intended.

At times I think what I say is wholly misinterpreted! I absolutely meant no disrespect nor was there any ill will in my reply to Brakeman Hal's first post to this thread! So, before I get booted off this forum forever, I will remove myself!

Last edited by a moderator:
At times I think what I say is wholly misinterpreted! I absolutely meant no disrespect nor was there any ill will in my reply to Brakeman Hal's first post to this thread! So, before I get booted of this forum forever, I will remove myself!

As I stated previously, NP2626, a man's gotta do what he's gotta do, even if it means exiling himself!

Merry Christmas anyway.....

Brakeman Hal

MTH DCS Commander:

Hal
004.JPG

I can't speak for him (we have had 'issues'), but I don't believe that NP2626 intended to come across as judgemental or dismissive. He asks why DCC at all if you already had the 'Cadillac?' I think he also assumed, perhaps mistakenly, that the OP was not aware of the disparities between DCC and DCS, and wondered why he would not want a DCC system to run about 90% of all digital locomotives sold in HO.

HO? I don't use HO...it's too small!

O Scale 2-Rail is my choice because the engines and cars each have almost 6 times the volume and weight of HO...it really sounds and feels like you've got some "big stuff" rolling when you hear and feel that extra weight on your layout !

The linear ratio between HO and O is 1/87 to 1/48, or 1.8 to 1. Cubing 1.8 to 1 to get the volume differential gives you 5.8 to 1.

Brakeman Hal

Last edited:

Back