Resistor value calculator

Thanks, good information to have and a timely one at that since I was soldering resistors to 22 gauge wire yesterday.

Thanks again.

Greg

Despite the color code, I just measure it with an ohm meter to get the actual value. They do have a variance which is indicated by the last color. The cheaper the resistor, the more the variance.

The reason I found it, I had got some pre-wired LED's with resistors and I just wanted to check one to find out what it's value was after I had contacted the wires against the tracks while powered up (NCE 5amp). I had to peel the shrink off one to see the colors. It had 5 bands, brown, black, black, violet and yellow. Found by experimentation that the yellow was the 1st band to enter. Came up with 470 ohm. The LED was quite bright (warm white) but not overly so, and holding the resistor between the fingers indicated no heating of it.

When I studied communications electronics back in the 70s they taught us a very politically incorrect way to remember the color code. I still remember it, but I will not repeat it.

Back