Replace PL-10 toggle switch

I made an error. The topic should not be replace the PL-10 toggle switch, it is actually a PL-26. Sorry.

I would like to use a toggle switch that is smaller than the Peco PL-26 toggle to switch my peco table top switch machine. Can anyone tell me what I can use from Radio Shack? Is this a DPDT momentary on -off- momentary on toggle? :confused:

My plans are to run AC power to the toggle and then from the toggle to the turnout motor in a method that is similar to my Atlas turnouts. I have used Atlas and tyco since I was a kid. Now that I am retiring I am graduating to Peco, but when I bought the Peco table top switch motors, I did not think about getting the switches. The local hobby shop is not local or would have to order the PL-26, hense my desire to just run down to Radio Shack or the local Electronics Warehouse, both of which are closer to me than the hobby shop...

I just looked at the wiring diagram that came with my turnout motor and it shows something called a "CDU" that is between the AC power source and the switch. What is this? is it really necessary? I didn't think that this would be so hard. Nothing like Atlas turnouts I have?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Peco PL-11 switch motor wiring

Is there any reason why the Peco PL-11 switch motor won't work with the Atlas switch or a momentary on -off- momentary on toggle switch?

Why does the PL-11 seem to not have enough "strength" to move the turnout points? Is it because there is a spring to hold the turnout points in place and they need to be removed for the side mount switch motor will work?

The PL-26 is a "passing contact switch." When you move the lever one direction, it briefly makes then breaks a connection, throwing the turnout in one direction. When you move it in the opposite direction, it briefly makes and breaks a second set of contacts, throwing the turnout in the other direction. It is the equivalent of TWO normally open momentary contact switches.

You need two SPST (or SPDT) momentary pushbutton switches to replace one PL-26. The Atlas Switch Control is basically two momentary pushbutton switches in one unit, so I think it would work for your application.

CDU is an acronym for Capacitor Discharge Unit, a device that provides a controlled burst of power to a turnout motor when you press its control button. It may provide more reliable operation of turnout motors than a cheap pushbutton alone. If you perform a Google search, you can find CDU circuits and read about their benefits.

- Jeff

Thank you. This is what I thought, except before last night's help on another forum and subsequent searches I didn't know a thing about Capacitor Discharge Units. I think I may try to build one today.

Back