Removing solder

RJasonB

ITS_MFRR est. 2010
Any tips for removing solder from nickel-silver rails? It seems obvious that an application of heat is neccessary, but i'm wondering if anyone has discovered a slick way to coerce the solder off the rail once it is in a fluid state. Thanks and happy MRR'ing.

Solder wick would get most of the solder off leaving a thin film.

Is this to remove solder from previously soldered joints (clean up to reuse) or solder that got on the rail top while soldering a joint?
For solder on the rail top I just file it off then buff with a 'bright boy'.

For my current project, this will be to remove drop down feeders. I want the solder completely removed so that I can reuse the flex track. I want the rails as smooth as possible sot that the spikes do not bind up on the rails. Thanks for the solder wick solution. I knew here had to be something out there!

I find solder wick to be way too slow, and you'll use it up at a rapid rate. I prefer a "solder sucker," more properly called a desoldering vacuum tool.

The one I use looks like this:
soldersucker_MED.jpg

You can buy one here for $5. Please note that I have never bought anything from this particular vendor. If you perform a Google search for solder sucker, you will find many versions from many vendors.

You may still want solder wick for final cleanup, but the solder sucker will remove most of the solder, and you won't go through nearly as much solder wick. The solder sucker can be cleaned out and re-used indefinitely. Mine is more than 20 years old and still going strong.

- Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:

Back