Removing Shell from the Frame of an Athearn SD-39

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I'm attempting to remove the shell from an Athearn SD-39, MNS Locomotive #41, Ath64490, a recent release form Athearn. I removed the couplers and the rear end of shell is loose but the front is still tight. What am I missing....hidden screws or tabs?

Thanks.

Greg

Sometimes I have to use a very thin screw driver to to first get in between the two parts then pry them apart.
If that doesn't work, just take it by one end and swing it against the edge of a table till it separates.

If it has working ditch lights on the front deck, the wires to them pass between the shell and the front of the chassis, through shallow channnels. They use a small piece of sticky black tape to keep them in place on the chassis to prevent them wandering during factory assembly. The problem is, it also sticks the whole damn lot together. Just keep wriggling and working the back part up and down to loosen it. A right PIA when you don't know what they've done. Once the grip has broken, level the chassis and pull it down evenly. It it was assembled too soon after painting, the shell may also drag on the sides where the paint has stuck a bit (had that twice on SD40's)

Back