Remotoring Athearns

diburning

AlcoHaulic
Has anyone here remotored Athearn RTR locomotives with Kato motors? Does anyone have a list of Athearn RTR locomotives that will accept a drop-in Kato motor without having to mill the frame?

If a Kato motor won't fit without milling the frame, do you think this motor, sold by Athearn as their MP15/SW1500 motor will fit? (It's a Mashima can motor) Do you think it will have enough power to move a six axle locomotive and a train?

536800496_tp.jpg

I ask because I have a pair of SD45-2s that won't run together or with anything else. I also want to remotor some of my other locos to improve their performance.

Has anyone here remotored Athearn RTR locomotives with Kato motors? Does anyone have a list of Athearn RTR locomotives that will accept a drop-in Kato motor without having to mill the frame?

If a Kato motor won't fit without milling the frame, do you think this motor, sold by Athearn as their MP15/SW1500 motor will fit? (It's a Mashima can motor) Do you think it will have enough power to move a six axle locomotive and a train?

536800496_tp.jpg

I ask because I have a pair of SD45-2s that won't run together or with anything else. I also want to remotor some of my other locos to improve their performance.

I have re-motored almost every one of my Athearn RTR's w/ the Kato HM5 (? not sure if that's the correct PN?) None so far have been drop in. I have had to mill the frame on all of them. What does the MP15 motor cost? I didn't know Athearn had the SD45-2's in the RTR series. I have a 45-2 in Genesis.

536800496_tp.jpg

I've used Kato, Stewart & Bachmann Spectrum motors in Athearn engines before. I just mounted them w/clear Silicone. I see how to level the motor in the frame & if it needs some shims in the frame I add small washers under the motor wherever is needed w/superglue & then I set the motor w/silicone. I let it dry for at least 24 hrs. I put a layer of silicone under the motor & then stick it to the frame & then squeeze the silicone around the motor on the sides. If you are running DC you have to solder a lead to the electrical ear on the motor & then drill & tap a hole in the frame for a ground wire. If you don't do the ground from the motor to the frame it won't run. Guess U know that.:D I have used a switcher motor out of a Kato in a 4 axle diesel w/ no loss of power.

I have re-motored almost every one of my Athearn RTR's w/ the Kato HM5 (? not sure if that's the correct PN?) None so far have been drop in. I have had to mill the frame on all of them. What does the MP15 motor cost? I didn't know Athearn had the SD45-2's in the RTR series. I have a 45-2 in Genesis.

My SD45-2s are Genesis, but if the remotor improves them a lot, I would do it to RTR locos as well.

The Athearn motor is ~$32-35. It's a Mashima motor, so I'd consider it to be a quality motor. Since it's a bit smaller, I'd have to watch out for the driveshaft alignment though (not sure if the motor mount accounted for the size difference). I'd rather screw in the motor than to silicone/epoxy it.

The Kato motor with the old mount (drop in for Athearn mount) is $35 + whatever Kato charges for shipping.

My SD45-2s are Genesis, but if the remotor improves them a lot, I would do it to RTR locos as well.

The Athearn motor is ~$32-35. It's a Mashima motor, so I'd consider it to be a quality motor. Since it's a bit smaller, I'd have to watch out for the driveshaft alignment though (not sure if the motor mount accounted for the size difference). I'd rather screw in the motor than to silicone/epoxy it.

The Kato motor with the old mount (drop in for Athearn mount) is $35 + whatever Kato charges for shipping.

I like to tinker so I might just get a MP15 motor since I need to place an Athearn order anyways. The Kato motors line up perfect, screw in, and are a huge improvement 90% of the time. Not 100% because I have had a couple of RTR's that for some reason or another run like a Kato (motor included). When I order the older style Kato motor I usually order 5 to 10 at a time to offset shipping charges. Once in a blue moon you can pick up a Stewert/Kato f-unit for $30. Remove the motor and resell the rest for $10 - $20. Now that I gave away my secret it might be a little harder to do that. :D

My SD45-2s are Genesis, but if the remotor improves them a lot, I would do it to RTR as well.

I don't think you will see a big improvement, if any, remotoring a Genesis unless there is something wrong with the motor. I have never had to remotor any of mine. They all run really well after I tweak em.

I've re-motored at least 4 GP9 Athearns using the A-Line repower kit. If you are careful, you can even find lead cradles for the new motor, which adds needed weight. The blue box units are transformed by the change - no more issues with the metal pickup, no more noise, etc...

I don't have any Genesis units, so cannot comment there.

I don't think you will see a big improvement, if any, remotoring a Genesis unless there is something wrong with the motor. I have never had to remotor any of mine. They all run really well after I tweak em.
I've not had to remotor any genesis, either. I've had one board go bad. Other than adding additional weight and a Kadee washer between the trucks and frames on my SD70M's, not a problem. NWSL also makes repowering kits for Athearn. Phil

I happened to come across this posting while searching info on the Kato HM-5 for repowering a bunch of BB loco's I have. I found the HM-5 for as little as 17 dollars but it doesnt include the flywheels, anyone know if removing the flywheels off the BB motors will fit on the shafts of the HM-5?

I happened to come across this posting while searching info on the Kato HM-5 for re-powering a bunch of BB loco's I have. I found the HM-5 for as little as 17 dollars but it doesn't include the flywheels, anyone know if removing the flywheels off the BB motors will fit on the shafts of the HM-5?

From what I understand, it is extremely difficult to remove the flywheel from the Athearn motor. The Kato that comes with the HM-5 is a Hex drive flywheel, which is more suited to Athearn's newer Hex drive, vs, the old BB drive. I believe that NWSL sells the appropriate flw wheels for the BB drive.

It's my guess that if you are able to get the stock BB flywheel off the BB motor, you will be able to get iton the Kato motor. Good Luck, and let us know how you made out.

Joe

Back