Recommendations for a walkaround DC throttle / powerpack?

Beachbum

Didn't see much when I did a search, so:

I currently have two smallish shelf layouts - one N, one HO. The HO is modular so I can expand it in the future.

Anyway, I'd like to get a good DC walkaround throttle - doesn't have to be wireless - so I don't have to lean back and forth between the powerpack and my handthrown turnouts. Also if I expand the HO into an around the walls layout, I'll need something I can follow a train with.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

There really isn't a huge selection out there........I have one of these that I'm quite happy with : http://cgi.ebay.com/N-SCALE-WALKARO...ains?hash=item3a52d1b9fb&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14
It uses any cheapo pack to get the AC power from, and has some nice features. I've seen this seller have both N and HO versions available. You can rig it with a connector so you can plug it in at various points on a layout, but you cannot move it while a train is running. I believe MRC has/had a unit that would "hold" settings while you moved the controller, but I haven't paid attention lately to know if it's still available.

If you can find an MRC TECH 6 Wireless Handheld throttle, snap it up. They are out of production but some hobby shops and sellers on e-bay still have them. They run around $80 retail but you can sometimes get a deal from a hobby shop that's trying to deplete his DC stock. They are easy to set up and you can even switch to a train in another block and not lose control of the first train you were running, all on the fly. They are probably the best handheld throttle that has been made for DC and, I suspect, with the mass exodus to DCC, they may very well be the last of their breed.

Back