Rebuilding An Existing Structure and Starting Over

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
On my Chicago, Milwaukee & Northern, the coal mine is a featured structure and is at eye level on the layout. The structure was built approximately 12 years ago and great care was used in the assembly, detailing and weathering. I even installed corrugated roofing on the roof panels.

Lately I've found that the roof panel are warping and pulling away from the sides of the structure. I'm not sure if the plastic is at fault or the glue I used, but it is now impossible to reattach the panels. I want to add exterior lighting in certain areas and turnout positions indicators at the entrances of the loading hoppers. and since the building is finished the extra lighting is hard if not impossible to install and run the wiring so its hidden ,inside the building.

The two light signal indicators, which I need three and needed to ordered two more cost about $11.00 plus the expense of the six lamps that will be installed. The other lighting materials cost is approximately $50.00. As I enlarged the lamp openings in the signals to hold the lamps that I planned on using, I began to think why not purchase a new mine kit from Walthers and start the building all over! The kit is on sale for $44.95 at Walther's.

Building another mine structure should be relatively easy and I'll do the lighting installation on the side walls before attaching the side walls.

Am I crazy for even considering completing a new kit?

Thanks.

Greg

Last edited:
Not crazy at Greg! Sounds like a well laid out plan. Lighting, and detailing will be so much easier, and streamlined starting over. Plus you have another mine building to back up, and bash if you so desire.

Sounds fun!

Can't beat that price for a new one and considering the work involved in dismantling the old one and rehabbing the roof, I would go for it. Maybe use the old one viewed from a different angle as an abandoned mine elsewhere.

Well, I went to Walthers this morning and I did purchase another New River Mining Kit...going to use my Campbell corrugated roofing material and weather it using Scenery Solutions mixes. I used to use Radio Snack's acid for circuit boards, but its no longer for sale. It weathered the metal panels very well.

I'll detail the building side panels while they are still unattached and I can laid them down on the work bench and do the work I'll do the wiring as well on the bench and then snake the wiring through the building where I can find the openings.

I purchased some great adhesive wire holders that will make for a neat wiring job. No one will see it, but I'll know what was accomplished.

I was happy will the way the weathering turned out on the New River kit currently on the layout so at least I'll have a model to folllow when finishing this kit.

Stay tuned.

Greg

Sounds like a plan! If the old building doesn't suit your needs, maybe put it up for sale?

Construction update:

The New River Mine is basically completed with just two items remaining, attaching two roof panels and then finish the wiring.

I have to determine the best way to attach the last two roof panels so I can gain access to the interior wiring if in the future a lamp requires replacement. I'm thinking a touch of Testor's cement in several spots to hold the roof panels in place and if necessary I can break the bond between the roof and side wall panels to open the structure to gain access to the wiring.

I operate all my 12 and 14 volt incandescent lamps at 10 volts or less to prolong their life.

I decided against covering the kit's roof with corrugated roofing material since the model is at eye level and the effect of individual corrugated roof panels will be unnoticed by most viewers. I weathered the roof and side walls with Pan Pastels using Black for the primary color and a Burned Sienna for rust.

The uncoupling magnets for the hopper spurs have been installed using Kadee's above track uncouplers. They will be hard to see from an operator's perspective, but can be located by using structural elements of the mine's hopper supports to make it easy for the engineer to spot two cars over a magnet for the uncoupling process.

The old mine is history and ready for the trash. I saved a roof section and reused the windows in the new structure.

Greg

Yesterday, I did cement the last two remaining roof panels in place. Without glue the panels do not perfectly fit and a sight jarring of the building will cause the roof panels to fall into the structure.

I plan on one additional auxiliary mini-toggle switch to control the mine lights and run them only when needed to conserve the lamp life. I have room on the main panel for this toggle switch.

Greg

Last edited:
The old mine was trashed and the toggle switch to control the mine lights is installed. I kept the former loading hopper, but weathered it today with more Pan Pastels so this structure matches the mine.

By early next week the mine structure will be installed.

I'm glad I did not spent the time doing the corrugated roofing on the mine. This is one detail that is hard to see and the metal corrugated roofing materials are somewhat expensive.

Greg

Back