RDC Dummies

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
I took 4 RDC's & I'm using them for Passenger cars. 2 of them were originally powered w/rubberband motors. All have metal wheels w/insulated axles on 1 side. When I run 2 engines on that track I get a dead short. When I run one engine nothing shorts. I put all of the insulated wheels on the same side of all of the cars at the same time. I have the trucks marked so they won't be changed from one side to the other. Can you give me some idea's why these short.:confused:

Do they both run OK if you run them independantly? Sounds like one of them could be causing a short possibly...

Do they both run OK if you run them independantly? Sounds like one of them could be causing a short possibly...

You mean if I run each car by itself w/an engine? I tried that & I know the engines are not shorting out. It just happens when I run 2 engines independently of each other on the same track & one engine is pulling these 4 cars.

Check your trucks to make sure they arent in the wrong way. If you want to go through the trouble shoot me a picture of the underside of the cars with trucks and wheels the way you have them now!

Check your trucks to make sure they arent in the wrong way. If you want to go through the trouble shoot me a picture of the underside of the cars with trucks and wheels the way you have them now!

Ok, I'll do that tomorrow.

My thoughts also.
By the way, do they short when they are uncoupled and both on the rails?

Here's 2 pictures of all of the cars from the bottom.

After I turned them over I found that they all have the original metal trucks. I took some passenger car wheels & put them in the old RDC trucks. They roll real nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the 3 lower cars in the picture of 4 flip 1 set of trucks around so that the screws / rivets holding the truck assembly together are on the same side. then arrange the wheels so that the insulated part is on the same side. see if that makes a difference?

On the 3 lower cars in the picture of 4 flip 1 set of trucks around so that the screws / rivets holding the truck assembly together are on the same side. then arrange the wheels so that the insulated part is on the same side. see if that makes a difference?

Ok, I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks mark.

Back