RDC Dummies

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
I took 4 RDC's & I'm using them for Passenger cars. 2 of them were originally powered w/rubberband motors. All have metal wheels w/insulated axles on 1 side. When I run 2 engines on that track I get a dead short. When I run one engine nothing shorts. I put all of the insulated wheels on the same side of all of the cars at the same time. I have the trucks marked so they won't be changed from one side to the other. Can you give me some idea's why these short.:confused:

CbarM

HO all the way!
Do they both run OK if you run them independantly? Sounds like one of them could be causing a short possibly...

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
Do they both run OK if you run them independantly? Sounds like one of them could be causing a short possibly...
You mean if I run each car by itself w/an engine? I tried that & I know the engines are not shorting out. It just happens when I run 2 engines independently of each other on the same track & one engine is pulling these 4 cars.

MGWSY

Check your trucks to make sure they arent in the wrong way. If you want to go through the trouble shoot me a picture of the underside of the cars with trucks and wheels the way you have them now!

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
Check your trucks to make sure they arent in the wrong way. If you want to go through the trouble shoot me a picture of the underside of the cars with trucks and wheels the way you have them now!
Ok, I'll do that tomorrow.

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
Here's 2 pictures of all of the cars from the bottom.

After I turned them over I found that they all have the original metal trucks. I took some passenger car wheels & put them in the old RDC trucks. They roll real nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

MGWSY

On the 3 lower cars in the picture of 4 flip 1 set of trucks around so that the screws / rivets holding the truck assembly together are on the same side. then arrange the wheels so that the insulated part is on the same side. see if that makes a difference?

Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
On the 3 lower cars in the picture of 4 flip 1 set of trucks around so that the screws / rivets holding the truck assembly together are on the same side. then arrange the wheels so that the insulated part is on the same side. see if that makes a difference?
Ok, I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks mark.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com