RDC Budd car moving to Vermont?

Today I saw an RDC Budd car riding on the tail of a freight, north through Northampton, MA. What heritage railway is getting an RDC car?

Possibly going to All Earth Rail in Vermont. They bought a number of them from the Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) system. They were also used locally by Trinity Rail Express (TRE) between Dallas and Ft Worth and also by Denton County Transportation Authority (DCTA) between Denton and Dallas.

Adding to Willie's comment. All Earth Rail bought about a dozen RDCs. I'm excited to see them running in Vermont. I live in the White River Jct area, so won't see them until they expand their network. Here are the 3 initial routes:
"AllEarth Rail intends to deploy 12 Budd cars on three initial routes - St. Albans to Essex Junction, Montpelier to Essex Junction, and Rutland to Burlington. From there, the plan is for service to expand to the rest of the state’s rail network. When launched, these new regional routes will support the future growth of housing and other forms of sustainable development in and near existing Vermont population centers."

https://www.allearthrail.com/about

You mean they are going to USE them? Like, for revenue? Egads! Shock!

That makes sense. They were designed for light regional commuter traffic, and nothing like them, a single self-propelled rail unit, has been built since, well, Budd RDC cars.

Back