Rapido CN GMD-1 Help

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Does anyone have any experience disassembling a Rapido engine? I have 2 of these GMD-1's undecorated that I need to paint. They seem like very delicate models and I don't want to break them trying to disassemble them. I've gotten this far. I need to remove the trucks, wheels, cab, hood and sill. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
20190313_162404.jpg

Why don't you contact Rapido directly. The few times I have contacted them, they have been most helpful. They are active model railroaders at Rapido, so they will understand what you are doing.

Boris

I've had mine apart several times, and even swapped the trucks and shell on one. I'd unsolder the power wires from the trucks at the circuit board, rather than taking apart the trucks.

I also have a spare 2 axle truck and complete shell, it you end up accidentally trashing yours.

Boris, I got lucky and got it apart so far.

Terry, thank you. I see what you mean about un-soldering the wires. That might be the best way to go. Did you put a decoder in yours?

Boris, I got lucky and got it apart so far.

Terry, thank you. I see what you mean about un-soldering the wires. That might be the best way to go. Did you put a decoder in yours?
I have a pair, one that came with a sound decoder, the other was DCC ready. I installed a sound decoder in it, changed the shell from FCC to CN, and added a second A1A truck.

I have a pair, one that came with a sound decoder, the other was DCC ready. I installed a sound decoder in it, changed the shell from FCC to CN, and added a second A1A truck.

Terry, I have the 1900 series, 2 of them both DC. They both have the Flexicoil trucks like an SW does. Do you happen to remember what type of sound decoder you put in it? That would be nice for these.

Terry, I have the 1900 series, 2 of them both DC. They both have the Flexicoil trucks like an SW does. Do you happen to remember what type of sound decoder you put in it? That would be nice for these.
I put in a 21 pin Loksound Select, with the 12 cylinder 645C sound file. If you have one of the earlier models (mine is of a 1970s rebuild with 645 power assemblies), a V12 567BC would be good.

I used an iPhone 4 speaker, the hardest part was soldering the wires from the speaker to the board, where the S+ and S- pads are. And that wasn't hard.

I put in a 21 pin Loksound Select, with the 12 cylinder 645C sound file. If you have one of the earlier models (mine is of a 1970s rebuild with 645 power assemblies), a V12 567BC would be good.
I used an iPhone 4 speaker, the hardest part was soldering the wires from the speaker to the board, where the S+ and S- pads are. And that wasn't hard.

Terry, thank you for the info. I will have to see if I can find those.

The iPhone speaker is readily available on the evil auction site for less than $2, shipped. The Select is being phased out, and you may have to dig to find one. Klein had some as of this past weekend.
Do you have a programmer?

The iPhone speaker is readily available on the evil auction site for less than $2, shipped. The Select is being phased out, and you may have to dig to find one. Klein had some as of this past weekend.
Do you have a programmer?

Terry, I have a NEC Power Cab. That's it.

Terry, I have a NEC Power Cab. That's it.
Okay, if you end up with a Loksound Select decoder, let me know. You'll have to send it to me, but I can download the sound files from esu, and set the lights, bells, and horns for you, and send it bck to you.
If ypu want to spend an afternoon with trains, you cn always bring the while thing over, and we canmake sure all the loghts work on the functions they are meant to. The GMD-1 has headlights, numberboards, and class lights that can be made to work by programming the decoder.
The actual loading of the sound takes 45 minutes or so, and probably another 30 minutes to set the lighting and motor control.

Terry, thank you. Still waiting on the 2 decoders to arrive. I'd like to take you up on your offer if it still stands?

Back