Random Industrial Photos

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
With the warm weather upon us, trips to Red Mountain are pretty much over for the season. That being the case, I've been photographing other industrial sites around town. I thought ya'll might find some enjoyment or modeling possibilities from them...

Chicago Bridge and Iron Plant (served by L&N)
2399357859_ac06e9ba56_o.jpg

2400191530_2dc1a2eb15_o.jpg

2399359115_a05f751c68_o.jpg

2399359511_b38fc3220b_o.jpg

2400193832_44ed49deb1_o.jpg

2399359973_e4b5927f33_o.jpg

2400191130_98e4fb06d7_o.jpg

2399362901_81573c87c1_o.jpg

US Gypsum Plant (again, L&N served)
2424536494_0d81fee1a6_o.jpg

2424536194_d21b4cf472_o.jpg

2424535932_d0f4fca5b0_o.jpg

2424537264_fe4c71bce0_o.jpg

2424536838_8e4fcb3ae8_o.jpg

2424537770_ff72967f4c_o.jpg

Industrial worker's "shotgun" house... Note the size of the door to that of the room!
2417927152_9b2873d80f_o.jpg

And, an artsy fartsy shot... ;)
2417786436_d26283e5fd_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Neat shots GM, i see that someone has had a Micky D's recently in that office shot, i take it by the sign that 200 ppm CO is carbon dioxide

Neat shots GM, i see that someone has had a Micky D's recently in that office shot, i take it by the sign that 200 ppm CO is carbon dioxide

Someone had recently been living there, Steve. :eek:

CO is Carbon Monoxide. Nasty stuff because human senses can't detect it's presence.

Here's another angle of US Gypsum
2425495341_fb547e5cc8_o.jpg

Great shots, Eric. One normally doesn't think of Alabama as having many industrial relics but you've sure been good at scouting them out. Any idea how long ago that CB&I plant closed down? It looks to be in pretty good shape. Even the tracks entering the building and the surrounding foliage aren't as overrown as I would have expected.

Whew, 200 parts per million of CO. At least that plant was following OSHA guidelines. I hope it was real bright red light since CO usually builds up rapidly in unventilated spaces. 1000 ppm is usually fatal with about 10 minutes. :eek:

Great shots, Eric. One normally doesn't think of Alabama as having many industrial relics but you've sure been good at scouting them out. Any idea how long ago that CB&I plant closed down? It looks to be in pretty good shape. Even the tracks entering the building and the surrounding foliage aren't as overrown as I would have expected.
Whew, 200 parts per million of CO. At least that plant was following OSHA guidelines. I hope it was real bright red light since CO usually builds up rapidly in unventilated spaces. 1000 ppm is usually fatal with about 10 minutes. :eek:

Jim, I believe CB&I shut down the Birmingham Plant around 1980. There are parts of the site that are overgrown, but many of the original buildings are still in use by several other businesses. The whole site is in pretty good shape. The office building is on the valet parking area for the airport. I need to talk with those folks and go shoot it.

More from CB&I.

Outdoor cranes. This whole area would have been covered in rail.
2425844679_39a4617691_o.jpg

Speaking of cranes, this is the operators station for one of the indoor cranes. I couldn't believe the office chair was there! This shot was taken 3+ stories off the plant floor.
2425843783_a6eda15ea0_o.jpg

I'm not sure what they were used for, but note the tracks going into this oven. These had been partially dismantled.
2426658638_7a6de91082_o.jpg

the concrete is the frame around the door, which was a fireproof door that closed automatically (and without any electricity, btw) if a fire broke out on one side or the other.

Great shots! Any idea why the concrete sliding door in the third shot?

the concrete is the frame around the door, which was a fireproof door that closed automatically (and without any electricity, btw) if a fire broke out on one side or the other.

The small red lettering to the left of the door says X-Ray Dept...

Eric: ALWAYS enjoying your "photographs", yes... that's what they are!!

Jos

Thanks Jos. I always appreciate your comments. :)

Neat shots Eric, I worked in a Vinyl Chloride Plant . When I first started back in the early seventies there was no monitiring of the plant . When they found out it caused Cancer of the Liver they started monitiring it pretty fast . ByTo make a long story short they use to use Vinyl Chloride as a anesthic in opreating rooms . well by the time I left the plant in 1988 due to health problems it could only be lesss then 1 part per million exposure ! Quite a difference I would say . It as also colorless and oderless !

Steve, that's some great work by Tarboat. I guess he's the Grandeman of Europe. :) I visited Slovenia, Bosnia, and Serbia in 1995. Slovenia was lucky that the civil war was over in less than a month but Bosnia and Serbia were still a mess. All I remember about Serbia, in many places, was that everything was gray. Slovenia had a thriving railroad system and you could take pictures just about anywhere you wanted. Serbia and Bosnia were still being run by the communist system of the former Yugoslavia and those armed guards weren't kidding about not taking pictures. One tried to actually take my camera and arrest me until we got some kind of supervisory type, a major, I think, who spoke English. I told him I was just a tourist and railfan that wanted to take some pictures of the steam power that was working the Novi Sad yard. I bought along a supply of sheriff's department patches to hand out as souvenirs just for situations like this. The major said "You sheriff...like John Wayne?". :) I said I sure was and he was all grins after that. He gave me a handwritten pass and told me to go ahead and take pictues anywhere I wanted. I have no idea what was written on the pass since I can't read Serbo-Croatian but I got stopped by multiple guards (all armed with AK-74's, BTW :eek: ) and, when they read the pass, they stepped back and saluted me. Got some nice photos. They are part of the thousands of slides I need to get scanned one of these days.

When I got back to Slovenia, I showed the pass to a friend that was fluent in Serbo-Croatian. We both got a good laugh out it. The pass stated I was the head sheriff of the United States and friends with John Wayne! :D Not a bad promotion for a lowly reserve deputy from California.

Yes, it amazes me JUST whats still around if you can find it, BTW Jim a friend of mine also had a very close shave with death when he was there, he was shot at with at least two AK47's as he took landscape pictures only weeks before all hell broke loose, he was Very lucky to be able to get over a ridge and drive away like stink, he's never been back since.

Back