Railtrail 1889 I-Girders being replaced

NYC_George

The 4 NH bridges being converted into railtrail overpasses are having some of the old I-Girders replaced. These 4 bridges are only a 1/2 mile from each other and are in different stages of construction. I only took photos of 2 because of parking restrictions. It seems as though they construct the new over pass over the old I -Girder then remove the I-Girder. I'm not sure if their going to remove the track 2 I girder or not. It would boost the height restrictions on the bridges. One of the bridges has a height restrictions of 10' 5". How many trucks have been stuck under this bridge over the years? I know it's many.

George
railtrail_01.jpg
railtrail_02.jpg

Ummmm... where is this?
The second bridge shown bridge 2 is actually the first bridge after the truss bridge (pictured below} that spans the Upper Harlem line in Towners, NY. The other bridges follow shortly spanning Routes 164 & 311 on the way to Whaley Lake, NY. I would hope their going to remove the track 2 I-Girders to improve the height restrictions especially the bridge that spans Rt 311 with a height restriction of 10'9". The GPS network constantly sends trucks under this bridge without any warning there's no were to turn around and then have to call the state police to back them up the hill just before the bridge. (pictured below) I did not take of photo of the construction that's now going on there.

George

railtrail_04.jpg
railtrail_05.jpg

I was on my way to the supermarket today and stopped to take a photo of the Rt 311 bridge which is about 2 miles from my house. I'm not sure when the last time 100 car freight trains used the bridge but I know work trains used the bridge about 12 years ago.
Now that I think about it there's a video of one of these freights in 1990.

George

RT_311_Bridge_1.jpg
RT_311_Bridge_2.jpg

Last edited:
I thought they were going to remove the I-Girder in the {Above Photo) but on my way to the store today I see they were just replacing the footing under it. ( Pictured in the second below photo) Last week a truck tried to squeeze under the Rt311 bridge without success. Bad mistake. How many times have I've seen this happen?

railtrail_22.jpg

George, this bridge is in Durham NC. It makes the news weekly. The NS tracks go over it. They call it the can opener. It is 11' 8" high. They have a live webcam set up on it. Here's a YouTube video of it in actions.

Brutal video Jerome. The bridge on Rt 311 here has a height clearance of 10'9'' so maybe their a little more cautious when approaching. The other day I was on may back from the store and a tractor trailer truck was sitting in front of the bridge wondering what to do. I stopped traffic and backed him up the hill. I've done this a least 4 times over the years.

George

I found the actual website.

http://11foot8.com/

They now call it 11 foot 8 +8 they raised it 8 more inches, not that it helps much.
That one cement truck actually shook the bridge.
I understand the rental trucks and rec vehicle stuff, but there is no excuse for that from a professional driver. I am surprised the insurance companies, trucking companies, and even the city don't go together to lower the road another foot. Even tell tails on each of the three approaching roads would be a cheaper "help".

Back