Railroading Picture Contest

My humble contributions
dd6022d63869314d3fd60dd56c0428a5.jpg
1152af21916af0fbc6d98a8d4ce35e88.jpg
Matt no need to be humble, those pictures are my favorites of all the real railroads! Just don't stand in front of a moving train! :)

Here is one I think you will like. I'm not the best photographer, but if you want, I have no problem if you use it at a later date. Enjoy.
William.

Attachments

• 159.jpg
    159.jpg
    660.5 KB · Views: 503
Am I wrong? I thought this was supposed to be Model Photos!

Am I wrong? I thought this was supposed to be Model Photos!

Say NP2626: That's the way I always understood it also. The Photo Contest was supposed to be a way for us modelers to post shots of a portion of our layouts depicting a various scene so others could also get ideas to build upon. The photo's were to be judged on a variety of things to see who could come up with the most appealing photo of the month.

Lacking someone to do the judging has left the contest portion to fall by the wayside or sidetracked.

While the prototype photos are great from a detailing standpoint and some of the Proto photo's above are very good I don't believe they belong in the this section. Maybe start a Proto photo section?

Say NP2626: That's the way I always understood it also. The Photo Contest was supposed to be a way for us modelers to post shots of a portion of our layouts depicting a various scene so others could also get ideas to build upon. The photo's were to be judged on a variety of things to see who could come up with the most appealing photo of the month.

Lacking someone to do the judging has left the contest portion to fall by the wayside or sidetracked.

That is correct on both counts. We had trouble finding somebody to run the contest and set up the voting etc, it takes a lot of work.

There is also a more subtle problem with the photo contest, which is what really led to its demise. The Photo Contest format did not work well with organizing the images. Say you posted a great photo of a bridge. Six months later, somebody comes to the forum looking for bridge images. If you post a thread titled "Scratchbuilt HO Bridge" that would show up in the search. A random image in the contest gets lost. Even if you remember you saw the image in a contest, 6 months later will you remember which one it was? So that factor led me to not work to to hard to find somebody to run the contests.

Hey Bob,

Thanks for your efforts and don't give up. Eventually technology will allow you, or our grandkids to do what you describe. Taxonomy of photo collections has stumped most attempts to tame it, to date. Would more categories for photos in the collection be a current 'work-around?'

Regards,
Otis/Carl

Say Bob,

That is correct on both counts. We had trouble finding somebody to run the contest and set up the voting etc, it takes a lot of work.

There is also a more subtle problem with the photo contest, which is what really led to its demise. The Photo Contest format did not work well with organizing the images. Say you posted a great photo of a bridge. Six months later, somebody comes to the forum looking for bridge images. If you post a thread titled "Scratchbuilt HO Bridge" that would show up in the search. A random image in the contest gets lost. Even if you remember you saw the image in a contest, 6 months later will you remember which one it was? So that factor led me to not work to to hard to find somebody to run the contests.

While what you say is true, I would think the same thing would apply to even individuals looking through the images each of us post in our libraries. If something catches their eye and they don't make note of who's photo it is and the location they saw it in as well as a brief description, they probably aren't going to be able to go back and find it?

We each allow ourselves to get drawn in so many directions even within this hobby it very easy to loose tract of where we saw something! Even as in my case, although not on the forum but the web, I was doing a search for early gas stations that distributed Kerosene and one popped up showing old riveted vertical steel tanks in a couple of sizes behind the old retangular boxes with the hand crank pump up top to dispense the various types of petroleum products available.

I saved the picture and book mark the page, but have never been able to find it again. So things can be elusive even when we attempt to keep them readly available.

About the only way I can think of, on the site here, would be some type of identification note we each could make of the images that caught our eye. I see various images of Shamus's logging layout but know where to go to search through his images to try and find what I'm looking for.

I hope that might give you some ideas.

Not with standing the issue with getting someone to judge the photo's etc, perhaps it should be kept simple and to it's designed purpose - a monthly contest only and not worry too much if someone wants to find a photo within the contest 6 months down the track.

One (possible) solution for the voting side of things might be to start the competition on the 1st of the month and end "posting of photo's" for the comp on the 24th of the month. Voting could then be done, by the members, between the 25th and the end of the particular month by way of a Poll. If there are 15 photo's submitted, the Poll would consist of 15 options with each option representing a given photo. Each member is given 1 vote and at the end of the month, which ever photo gets the most votes by way of the poll - wins.

A fairly simple, non labor intensive option and it relieves any one person from the responsibility of making the final decision.

Back