Railroad Line Forum

MLW

What's happening at Railroad line forum?

It says "web page cannot be found"

Any ideas?

Thanks

I'm curious too, haven't been able to access the site for two days now. The Atlas forum is or was hosted on the same server, and it's operating OK. HELP!

I think it´s very confusing when a Forum has such a long downtime....
It was also very embarassing, as I had sent some links of a few threads to a big manufacturer as their products were described there. I got an Email from them that said they could not find any Forum..... Thats when I realised it was down.:(

Hi
Just heard from Tom Mathews that due to a rolling backout, the RR Line servers and backup servers got fried. They are working to get it back up and running, but might take another day or so.

Jim

Hi
Just heard from Tom Mathews that due to a rolling backout, the RR Line servers and backup servers got fried. They are working to get it back up and running, but might take another day or so.

Jim

I´m not sure, but was the servers placed somewhere in the third world? :D
A "rolling blackout" in the summertime and in the US?
More likely a power surge and unprotected servers..... Too bad anyhow.

Posted on the Atlas forum:

"Bruce DeYoung, Dutchman, e-mailed some of us that are regulars on RR-L to that effect. ETA not until mid week.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
from that e-mail:

Guys,

A series of brown outs this week killed the AC units in the server room. The servers fried and Joe says that it will be the middle of the next week before he has it up and running again.

Pass to the word to those you know on the forum.

Bruce"

Hurry up and wait I guess!

Thanks guys for the info

Makes sense, since many high density population center in the US do have rolling blackout due to high heat and the drain on the power is too much (air conditioning etc..)

We had a coronal mass ejection that was a grazing blow to Earth. But I can't find out where it was centered.

Otherwise, it seems silly to not have UPS protection on every server. They act as very good surge protectors and allow enough time for controlled shutdown. I have four systems here that have survived exploding power line transformers, brownouts, lightning strikes nearby and drunks hitting power poles. They survived hits that ruined fluorescent lighting ballasts.

AC shutdown is possible but they should have room temp sensors tied into the UPS system to force shutdown in the future.

Back