Raggs to Riches Durango Coaling Tower

Bob for straight kit builds like this one on kits that I know go together like they are should I charge 2x the current kit price. That would go up it there were any additions or modifications to the piece or it the client wanted it set on a large base plate with details. This build ran the client $520 plus the kit price of $260. When he saw the final photos he ordered a pair of scratchbuilt D&RGW water tanks, which was nice.

I do agree that many potential clients do not realize what a realistic custom build price is, but my experience has been that for the most part when you work in the larger scales people are more realistic. I quoted a potential client a price of $600 to put together one of the recent Fine Scale Miniatures kits and he just about had a heart attack. However in O scale prices of $1200+ are not blinked at, I have even had two of my clients tell me that I need to charge more for the work that I do.

I know other custom builders and their prices are all over the board, I tend to be slightly on the low side of the middle. One of the advantages to being a retired architect is that I do not have to be at the top end of the rate chart. That is fine with me it keeps me booked out with work for 3-4 months at any time which allows me to get in any special parts needed in plenty of time before a build starts.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

Last edited by a moderator:

Back