Questions About Budd RDC Cars - C&NW

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Did the C&NW Budd Diesel Rail cars have ditch ligths and gyro lights? I can't find any information about these cars.

Thanks for your help.

Greg

Greg: In all likelihood, No. The RDCs pre-dated the use of ditch lights, and most were gone by the time Ditch light became mandatory. By Gyros, do you me oscillating headlights, or bubble gum machine revolving lights mounted on the roof? The only way to find a definitive answer to the question of gyros, is by finding operational photographs of the CNW RDCs. My guess is that if they had them, Rapido would have installed them.

Boris

Greg, at one point I thought I had found photos of an RDC3 with gyro lights. Then through further reading, I learned that this particular RDC was purchased from the New haven or PC, and converted to a track inspection car. Not the same as the revenue RDCs you are interested in. I also found a photo of an RDC train standing adjacent to the 400 Train in the Milwaukee station. I assume that was a CNW set. That front had no extra crap added to it. I thought I saved the links, but when I posted it they were not there. Try "Railfan Net".

Boris

Boris:

I emailed Rapido yesterday and received a reply the same day. The C&NW prototypes did not have either ditch or gyro lights. The owners of the model can add them if they wish and Rapido provides them inside the chassis. Drilling mounting holes is required.

Thanks for your research.
Greg

Back