Question on digitrax decoders.

I just purchased a DH123AT decoder for one of my athearn engines. It works perfectly for the 4-6 axle engines.

But not so well for the switchers, what i mean is the clips that go on the top and bottom of the motor.

They are the right size for the bigger engines, but there to big for the switchers. Does digitrax offer decoders with the right size clips for those?

Or am i stuck cutting the wires and resoldering them to the clips i have?

thanks for any help.

Mike

The motor & flywheel unit is shorter on the switchers than the one used on the road locos. I am not aware of different clips from Digitrax. You'll probably have to solder. Remove the clips from the motor, don't lose the brush springs! Clean the clip with a little solvent to get rid of any stray lube, then polish it with some find grit sand paper or a sanding stick. Tin the wire from the decoder harness, and the clip. Use some soldering paste when you do this. This flux will clean any oxides away quickly. All you'll have to do is touch the iron to the part. The less heat applied the better. Also, clean your iron's tip. That black stuff really sucks up heat. A bright clean copper tip works much faster. Most botched solder jobs are the result of dirty surfaces. If everything is clean it will go faster and be much easier. In my early days, I re-kitted some things because they were dirty! :D

Back