Question about Buildings.

BamaMan

Roll Tide! Dothan, Al
Ok, maybe this should be in a different section, not sure. But since I bought an N scale set, I thought I should be posting everything here. This is about the buildings (houses, factories, warehouses, etc..). I had no idea that these things came in kits and had to be built and painted! Thats outstanding! This is going to be alot of fun for me, no doubt. Alot of work and time, but so much fun.

I assume that not all of them have to be built? Also, I cannot believe the availability of just about any building you would want. This is great. I cannot wait till my set gets here. Of course initially all I will have is some track, an engine and a few cars, haha.

BAMAMAN- you have gotten train fever and it is about 101 degrees now.:D

Go back to a couple of the train supplier sites you visited looking for your train set. Look under buildings and structures.
Kits are available in plastic, wood and hydrocal plaster.
The easiest to start with are plastic and go from pre-colored snap-together pieces to packs of generic walls, window, doors and roofs. You need to decide based on your experience and skill levels.

Kitbashing and scratch building may be necessary to model certain specific structures you "need" on your layout. Kitbashing is taking components from two or more kits and rearranging them to make a structure.

Building from scratch usually starts with sheets of plastic, wood or cardstock and making the main components to custom build a structure. I say structures, meaning buildings, shacks, coal towers, bridges, houses water towers and etc.

I have seen pre-built basic structures from MODEL POWER and WOODLAND SCENICS for sale on several sites. These would get you some quick "scenery", but the MODEL POWER buildings need painting and additional details for long term use on most layouts.

There are several people on the forum with connections to suppliers. Dig down in the "FOR SALE/WANT TO BUY" for links to them.

Try to limit yourself to 2 or 7 things you "gotta have" to get started.
Mikey

WOW....All I "HAD to have" was a train set. Now its blown up into wanting all kinds of things. Takes me back to when I used to put together model cars and airplanes alot. I can tell this is going to be alot of fun. Thx again for all the info! WIll check out the For sale section.

Roll Tide BamaMan!
I assume you have been to the Walthers web site. If not, it is ideal for searching buildings and other MR items since they have more than most any other place. I wouldn't buy there unless it was a "have to" since it is a distributor and charge us regular price (they do have a few sales). Most places have 15-20% off of Walthers price. A good reference is to buy the Walthers N scale catalog. Most online stores have them.

With buildings, it is easy to get excited and buy up a pile of kits (I did!). Like many, I have a stack of them to build. This is fine, but don't get to far ahead of your layout building as things tend to change. Also, make sure you have plenty of room for the kit on the layout. Where it looks good on paper, it sometimes isn't so great when on the layout. I like to build my kits (at least the outer walls) ahead of time, place them on the layout, then plan that section from there.;):)

Roll TIDE!! Have checked out the Walthers site but not spent alot of time there. Will look some more. Thx

Yes BamaMan come to the dark side come closer the force is strong with this one welcome to N scale,welcome aborad hang on its a great ride:rolleyes::D

If you want some quick (but not cheap) gratification, Woodland Scenics sell a really nice line of N scale ready built structures. You can see them at http://www.woodlandscenics.com/items.cfm/NBuilt-N-ReadyStructures. There aren't as many as in HO but the line is expanding quickly. The quality is better than most modelers could do assembling them from kits. I was very impressed when I first saw them and I've built a lot of kits.

As has been said, once you get the fever, you want to buy everything in sight. We've all been through it. Take it slow and first get a good running train and then start adding to it. A train that doesn't run reliably because of bad trackwork will make you rapidly lose interest in the hobby.

As has been said, once you get the fever, you want to buy everything in sight. We've all been through it. Take it slow and first get a good running train and then start adding to it. A train that doesn't run reliably because of bad trackwork will make you rapidly lose interest in the hobby.

Yea I am sure I will need a higher quality train and more track before too much of anything else. I am sure the Locos that come in the sets are not up to par with alot of the others. This will definetly allow me to test it all though. I am really excited about getting it. WIsh now I would have gone ahead and paid for overnight, haha.

Back