Prototype Caboose Operation

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Did Prototype railroads turn cabooses to run in any particular direction as with the caboose(s) with the cupolas in the rear of the caboose body? Just interest to see if they were turned prior to coupling up to the end of a train. I just remember seeing a lot of wide vision cabooses on lines near my home which could run in either direction.

Did Prototype railroads turn cabooses to run in any particular direction as with the caboose(s) with the cupolas in the rear of the caboose body? Just interest to see if they were turned prior to coupling up to the end of a train. I just remember seeing a lot of wide vision cabooses on lines near my home which could run in either direction.

I asked a friend who is a retired locomotive engineer from the Rock Island, and he said that they tried to have the small chimney to the back to keep the smoke from coming back in through the cupola.

Sent from my 5056N using Tapatalk

I recall the cupola facing in either direction. This would be on the Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Burlington Northern and the Big New Santa fe when they used them. In fact, over my life time, I have to say I never saw any caboose on any line I was ever exposed to, which ever had the caboose facing a specific direction. Not to say that some lines may have faced them in a specific direction, I just never noticed it.

That being said, when I set up a train on my layout, I am more inclined to put the caboose on the track with the long roof forward, for no other reason than I like how they look, this way! I feel there is some logic for running the caboose in this direction, as it affords the trainmen in the Cupola a slightly better view of the train ahead. They need to see forward of what ever car is just ahead of the caboose and having more distance between the Cupola and that car gives a slightly better viewing angle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the day (pre 1970s) when conductors really ran the RRs, caboose orientation was the way they said it was to be PERIOD! >} These days they are just shoving platforms w/ no stove so it doesn't matter which direction they are oriented

I have also seen the cupola in both directions. A bay window eliminates any directional issues. This caboose is sitting right along side the main drag coming into Three Forks, MT.

IMAG0036_BURST002.jpg

Back in the day (pre 1970s) when conductors really ran the RRs, caboose orientation was the way they said it was to be PERIOD! >} These days they are just shoving platforms w/ no stove so it doesn't matter which direction they are oriented

I have a friend who's son started working for the BNSF back in 2012 or so. They start them out as conductors today and I believe they still run the trains! He was trained out in Glasgow Montana.

Cabin Cars, (caboose, hack, van etc.), were set up to operate in either direction, either as the last car in a train, or the leading end in shoving movements. Bay window cabins had reversible seats, in cabins equipped with "Gig Tops', (Cupolas), they just rearranged the cushions for the direction of movement. One end was usually designated the A end, the other obviously was the B end, but there were handbrakes and conductors back-up valves on both ends. There was also a conductor's valve in the center of the table, at the stove end.

The last assignment I worked on, with a fully equipped Cabin car, was the Linden, NJ Local, WJLI26, almost exactly 20 years ago. Atlas actually did a model of it, painted as the Philadelphia Division CQI (Quality) scheme.

Boris

Back in the days of cabooses on ATSF, they were mostly oriented with the smoke stack to the rear to avoid the smoke entering the cabin. Exceptions were generally only on branch lines where there were no wyes. My observation only, I cannot cite any rule.
Regarding your friend's son, most conductors will end up as Engineer/Conductors in a short period of time according to a friend of mine who drives for BNSF.
Here's an interesting web page:
https://up.jobs/careers/railroad/train-crew/index.htm

Willie

Willie: Funny that this subject on cabooses resurfaced...I found Thursday in my stash of un-built kits, a BB Milwaukee Road caboose, the one with the silver roof, yellow ends and the orange body. Totally...forgot I had this version!

Greg

Back