Problem with AIU-01 and JMRI

britblad

I have a NCE Powercab w/nce usb and a aiu-01 (set to default 4 address) with 2 bd20's (NCE Block Detector) connected at 1 and 8 when i set them up in jmri it slows down jmri commands and i don't get the feedback from the AUI-01 to show the track is occupied.

The lights on the AUI-01 show up when the block is occupied so i know my detectors are working!

i have them addressed in JMRI as 4:1 and 4:8 witch is how jmri says to do it!

thanks in advance for any help

so JMRI is worthless then is there any software that dose work with aiu?

and whats the use of this information if it wont work with JMRI?

AIU (Input) Numbering

The NCE "AIU" device allows the NCE command station to check the status of inputs from the layout. These are referenced in JMRI as "Sensors" with names like "NS785". "NS" means "NCE Sensor", and 785 is the number of a specific sensor input. The sensor number can be found by using the following formula:
Sensor ID = (AIU Cab Address - 1) * 16 + (Pin Number On AIU) -1
For example: The AIU cab address is set to 50 and one of the BD20s is connected to pin 2. Therefore the Sensor ID would be:
Sensor ID = (50 - 1) * 16 + (2) -1
Sensor ID = 785
In the hardware address field of the Add Sensor window you can enter in the AIU Cab Address followed by the Pin Number seperated by a ":"
So for a sensor on AIU Cab Address 50, pin 2 you would enter the following : 50:2

The problem is not with JMRI. It's a limitation of the NCE USB Interface.

The NCE USB Interface can not get information from the AIUs, so they can't be used to get feedback from the layout. Any NCE system using the NCE USB Interface will have the same limitation.

If you have the NCE Power Pro (not Power Cab) system connected to your computer via a Serial Port then AIU information DOES get passed to JMRI.

The limitations of the NCE USB Interface are spelled out here:
http://jmri.sourceforge.net/help/en/html/hardware/nce/NCE.shtml#usblimitations

- Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is not JMRI, the problem is NCE's USB interface. JMRI can use the AIU's if you have a Power House Pro and are connected through it's serial port. The USB interface can not get information from the AIU's, regardless of the software used. To be able to use the AIU's, you will have to upgrade to a Power House Pro system.

so what if i added a PR3 to the mix would that help?

my problem is i dont have $300+ to buy the upgrade i am asuming my power cab then is worthless or is it an add-on?

The PR3 only works with Loconet products, so no, it won't work with the Power Cab or AIU's.

If you upgrade to a Power House Pro, then your Power Cab could be used as a regular Pro Cab on the Power House Pro system. You could even get just the Power House Pro Box and power supply instead of the complete package and use your Power Cab in place of the Pro Cab in the package.

The serial port on the Power House Pro command station is an old fashioned RS232 serial port, much different than a modern USB port.

The PR3 only works with Loconet products, so no, it won't work with the Power Cab or AIU's.

If you upgrade to a Power House Pro, then your Power Cab could be used as a regular Pro Cab on the Power House Pro system. You could even get just the Power House Pro Box and power supply instead of the complete package and use your Power Cab in place of the Pro Cab in the package.

The serial port on the Power House Pro command station is an old fashioned RS232 serial port, much different than a modern USB port.

i think i am staring to see where the problem was and what i need to fix it.

so then since i have a new computer i would need a RS232 to usb cable as well?

i plan on using the above serial to USB i have it bookmarked and i joined the group thanks for rec-amending it!

Has anybody tried (succeeded in even?) using Microsoft 'Visual Basic 6 Pro' to generate Model Railway Interface source code?

My objective is to get sensor reports on a layout mimic generated by my own 3rd party software, called 'SMARTRAX'. Hardware is BD20/AIU in conjunction with the NCE 'Power Pro' DCC system.

It's a long shot but the JMRI boffins appear to be doing it every day in JAVA so why not in a legacy language of which VB6 Pro, having a comm. port object, is a star performer for the amateur user. Only snag is you need a pre-W7 platform such as W98, W2000 or 'XP'. Happily this can be worked around using e.g. 'VMWare' to float VB6 on e.g. W2000 on e.g. W8.1 and I'm lucky enough to have a 'stand-alone' copy of 'VMWare' for non-commercial use. I purchased it some years ago with a W8 Pro package.

Back