Problem cleaning True-Colour paint from an Airbrush

Smudge617

I used True-Colour recently on a Caboose, it worked just fine straight out the bottle, the problem came when I went to clean the airbrush, what do I use, I've tried white spirit, thinners, water, airbrush cleaner, even white vinegar, I still end up peeling the paint from the bowl and as far as I can reach with a pair of tweezers to peel it off the inside, it's supposedly water based, admittedly its only cheap basic Chinese airbrush, but just for doing general spay painting its ideal.

I had problems with that paint. Even though it says water based I wonder. I think I used acetone to clean. Not sure, it was a while ago. I gave up on using that paint.

It's water-based, but requires acetone to clean it.
Thanks, I get some in before I use it again.
I had problems with that paint. Even though it says water based I wonder. I think I used acetone to clean. Not sure, it was a while ago. I gave up on using that paint.
I'm kind of stuck using it if I want to keep it looking authentic, as I can only find one supplier for US RR paints, if I was doing a complete repaint as I intend to do with a Caboose I have, I'll just use a similar colour.

I used True-Colour recently on a Caboose, it worked just fine straight out the bottle, the problem came when I went to clean the airbrush, what do I use, I've tried white spirit, thinners, water, airbrush cleaner, even white vinegar, I still end up peeling the paint from the bowl and as far as I can reach with a pair of tweezers to peel it off the inside, it's supposedly water based, admittedly its only cheap basic Chinese airbrush, but just for doing general spay painting its ideal.
I have a buddy who swears True-color is the best. He uses MrHobby Thinner 400 to also clean his airbrushes.

I use it ONLY after I need to throughly clean the air brushes. Usually once a month

I have a buddy who swears True-color is the best. He uses MrHobby Thinner 400 to also clean his airbrushes.

I use it ONLY after I need to throughly clean the air brushes. Usually once a month
I can actually get that here, it must be good at £15 for a 400ml bottle :)

Chris if you go to the source quote "We suggest that you use acetone (nail polish remover without any scent) to clean-up your airbrush and paint cups. This dries quickly and removes all residual Tru-Color Paint cleanly." Not that Mr hobby Thinner 400 that stuff is Lacquer Thinner

https://trucolorpaint.com/about-us/faq/
Thanks, I've ordered 500ml acetone, hopefully I can get the caboose repainted next week.

I've successfully used both acetone and lacquer thinner to clean water-based, dried paint residue out of air brushes and jars. One or the other has always worked fine for me.

One caveat: For plastic-bodied air brushes, I'd try and avoid getting these harsh chemicals on the plastic body. Depending on the type of plastic they are molded from, you never know how suseptible they may be to these hotter thinners.

I've successfully used both acetone and lacquer thinner to clean water-based, dried paint residue out of air brushes and jars. One or the other has always worked fine for me.

One caveat: For plastic-bodied air brushes, I'd try and avoid getting these harsh chemicals on the plastic body. Depending on the type of plastic they are molded from, you never know how suseptible they may be to these hotter thinners.
Mines a metal bodied airbrush, so no problems there.

Absolutely use acetone if you can. It's the main ingredient in Tru-Color thinner and works great to clean your airbrush, as long as it has metal parts (I use an ancient Badger 150).

You might try this: Use ammonia, at a dilution of something like 1/2 cup per gallon of water. Let it soak overnight and see if that doesn't soften up the dried paint so you can flush it out.

I stumbled across this as a method for removing baked on cheese from stainless steel (non-stick) cookware, and it worked pretty well for that. Give it half a day or so to work its magic.

Do NOT repeat NOT repeat NOT let ammonia come anywhere near chlorine bleach or chlorine cleaning sprays or products. Or laundry bleach. That combination results in a deadly, lung searing gas, basically the same stuff used at Auschwitz. But ammonia alone is otherwise pretty safe. Just has an odor, and it'll go away if you use it in water.

Back