Private Message Spamming

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

bnsf971

Staff member
On the other forum (Railroad Forums), we have encountered at least one clever spammer using the private message system to deliver spam to forum members.
While we haven't yet seen this, or if it has happened, we haven't been notified, I thought it would be a good idea to let everyone know about the possibility.
If anyone does get a message they consider spam, please click the "report" button at the bottom of the message. If that isn't available, please forward the message to a moderator, and we'll take appropriate action.
We work hard to keep spammers at bay, and want to keep everyone's time here as happy and trauma-free as possible.
Thank you in advance for your help.

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
So those clever rascals figured they could slam their commercials in our face through a PM and we would just sign up to buy a few.
I wonder how spammers feel when they get spam messages?

bnsf971

Staff member
There was an issue on a social media site I sometimes frequent, where scammers are cloning people's accounts, then sending those peoples' friends spam through their message system. One of them tried that with me, and I had been tipped off the person's account was compromised. One of my old hacker friends had left me a bit of code that changed the park command on a standard hard drive. When you shut your computer down, this command tells the "needle" to pull above the platters in the drive a couple thousandths of an inch, to avoid damaging the platters.
Anyway, the code changed the park command from 2 thousandths of an inch to 2 inches.
I gave the scammer the file, he opened it, and of course, nothing happened. Until he shut down his computer. Imagine the terrible grinding sound as the hard drive destroyed itself from within.
Sometimes the good guys win...

tootnkumin

Staff member
There was an issue on a social media site I sometimes frequent, where scammers are cloning people's accounts, then sending those peoples' friends spam through their message system. One of them tried that with me, and I had been tipped off the person's account was compromised. One of my old hacker friends had left me a bit of code that changed the park command on a standard hard drive. When you shut your computer down, this command tells the "needle" to pull above the platters in the drive a couple thousandths of an inch, to avoid damaging the platters.
Anyway, the code changed the park command from 2 thousandths of an inch to 2 inches.
I gave the scammer the file, he opened it, and of course, nothing happened. Until he shut down his computer. Imagine the terrible grinding sound as the hard drive destroyed itself from within.
Sometimes the good guys win...
Did it produce sparks and flames as well?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com