Preferred connectors from buss to feeder wires?

How do you insulate the connection after it is soldered?

My joints are staggered about three inches from each other, there's no way they could even be pulled to touch each other. Would definitely be a concern if they were right beside each other. As for the type of insulation the buss wire has .... I have no idea. Any insulation will displace / compress to some degree.

Mark.

Question, why doesn't anyone use wire nuts?
Because that would mean breaking up the bus wire into bunches of short segments. Each break a potential problem and possible point of failure. Rather defeats one of the main the purposes of having a bus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your wires are perhaps kissing? :D For that's what a "buss" is - a kiss. How about a "bus" wire instead?! And you still get a charge out of it!

It has been decades, since I last wired up a layout. Perhaps there are easier techniques or products.

What do you prefer to connect the many track feeder wires to the running buss wires? Suitcase connectors? Euro-style barrier strips? Other?

1. The main buss will be stranded 12 gauge around the layout room. This definitely takes care of losses around a 13x13 ft room.
2. the feeder wires are solid 24 gauge, soldered to the rail. Currently I make them 12 " long
3. I could use 14 or 16 gauge stranded wire to taper down from the main run.

Thanks,
Doug

Norwottuck Division of (some larger road)

Back