Power to the Tracks Question

Bat24SS

Needs more space.
I have an 8' brass circle track. I want to power the engine through the tracks. I need a power pack. Will the AristoCraft 5400 Power Pack be fine? It's just for running and Christmas time around the tree.

MyReadingSig.png

I don't see why not... if you keep it to low voltage just about anything should work!
Another option is of course getting one of the battery powered trains and then you don't have to power the track at all!

Thanks OCN Guy,

I found out that the 5400 won't be enough for my SD-45. It draws to much. So I picked up a MRC Train Power 6200 on eBay. Things are working great. I'll be posting a new thread with a video.

As far as batteries go... That's my plan when I get a garden. I want aluminum track, cause it the cheapest and then run R/C train on batteries.

MyReadingSig.png

mrc 6200

the 6200 says "60va" but you really only get about half of that to the train. the other 30 va goes to the AC accessories. this pack was always tooted by ads as a 3amp supply but really for DC output only about 1.5 amp. also, the old school mrc packs (like this one) vary in output in continued operation...in other words, sometimes you may only get 1.1 amps at 18 volts instead of 1.5a

the 6200 second hand is a good value for most non-sound G scale. dont use this pack with a sound LGB engine, they need a smoother output and thus higher quality pack.

alternatives to the 6200 are bachmann's G spectrum power pack (another bargain off of ebay if just running one modest train), the very nice mrc tech 3 9500 with momentum and meters, or if you really want some beefy power at a small price, the Power G from mrc that has 22 volts DC to the track with 10 amps !

I bought a USA train GP 38-2 and a beginner power pack (can't remember what it was), it burned out so I got a USA train "10" power pack. Train seems to run at half the speed. It's only used indoors at xmas time. I've cleaned the tracks, shoes etc,,, maybe it's only running on one motor or the wires to the track are not the proper gauge, any way to check,

Thanks-

Back