Power Supply to 4 Digitrax DS64s

gjohnston

Slow Learner
I am setting up 4 Digitrax DS64 on my layout to run a bunch of Tortoise switch machines. I want to power them from an external power supply, not from the track. Digitrax sells PS14 power supplies for this purpose that are rated at 14 volts at 300ma. The literature says that you can only use one PS14 per DS64 as if you try to use two DS64s the amperage will be too low. The example given is that you would need 14 volts at 600ma to power two units. Here is my question: Can I buy a power supply that delivers 14 volts at 1.2 amps and connect all 4 of my DS64 up to this supply? There are some of these out there that are built to charge laptop computers. They are not much more than one Digitrax PS14.

Thanks for the help,
Greg

I think the real key to your question is how are you going to run your turnouts. You stated you are using the Tortoise machines. These are stall motors which can actually run on a lot less voltage than what the PS14 provides. If you were using the snap switches which require a heftier kick to throw than the Tortoise machine, you would certainly need to provide the current it is calling for.
So in short, one PS14 should be able to power at least two DS64s in your case. Just make sure your polarity is the same for each DS64.

In response to your original question, yes you can use one power supply properly sized to power more than one DS64. Myself personally, I would also add a fuse to each individual circuit, that way the current one DS64 can draw is limited, in the event there is a short circuit.

I think the real key to your question is how are you going to run your turnouts. You stated you are using the Tortoise machines. These are stall motors which can actually run on a lot less voltage than what the PS14 provides. If you were using the snap switches which require a heftier kick to throw than the Tortoise machine, you would certainly need to provide the current it is calling for.
So in short, one PS14 should be able to power at least two DS64s in your case. Just make sure your polarity is the same for each DS64.

In response to your original question, yes you can use one power supply properly sized to power more than one DS64. Myself personally, I would also add a fuse to each individual circuit, that way the current one DS64 can draw is limited, in the event there is a short circuit.

Thanks guys. I had an older variable DC transformer that used to provide power for a DC train set. I set the voltage at 14 volts and connected it to two DS64s to see if I could get them up and running. They seemed to work fine. I think I'll keep adding more DS64s until I have trouble.

I like the fuse idea. One fuse inline to each DS64. What size do you think would serve the purpose? 14 volts at 400ma? The spec sheet says one DS64 draws 300ma.

Thanks again,
Greg

I run my Tortoise switch machines with a Radio Shack wall wart transformer that has variable power selection at 3, 6, 9 and 12 volts. At the lower voltages the Tortoise operate so prototypically and I use the 6 volt output.

The electrical power required to operate Tortoise is very minimal.

Greg

Back